Callaway Tour i(s) and Tour i(z) review

sherwoodnatl

Reaction score
Handicap
Been eager to test these balls since i heard about there release. I tested these at a course this time...no launch monitors. Anyone who saw the last review knows that i was fairly critical of the Tour i and Tour ix. I got a couple of them to test too b/cuz i got them a box at 20 bucks apiece.

My swing specs
SS- 100+
DD- 265
6 iron - 165
PW- 120+

So the testing goes:

Look- Liked the look of this one better. Liked the red numbers on the i(s) and also liked that they took the "Golf" off of the ball so it just says Callaway.

Distance/Tee shots- The Tour i was not very good for me on distance, i probably lost 25 yards. Unfortunately, for me, the i(s) was close to the same. Better, but still, I want a ball that wont hurt me on driving distance. Overall 4/10 here. The Tour ix was very good off distance and the i(z) performed similarily. Liked the fell of the ix better tho. 9/10

Feel- i(s) is a very soft ball. Close to V1 and softer than the TM Black. My favorite part of this ball. 9/10
i(z) is good of the driver and good off the irons. Short of the i(s) though. 8.5/10

Greenside- i(s) shined here. Superb spin if thats your sort of thing. it probably got a 9 on spin...but since im not a fan of huge spin, i give it a 7.5. The i(z) is my sort of ball. Id take the 5 yards on drives for the 5 feet extra release i get on long approached. probably a 8/10. But for me, it was perfect- 9.5/10

Putting- both pretty good here. good feel and roll. 8.5/10 for both

Overall- I think the i(z) is much better. i give it a solid 8.5 out of 10. The i(s) however, just does work well with my swing. Not sure why. It definitley works for others, just not me i guess. A low 7/10.

Anyone who read the first review knows i hated the drive distance of the Tour i and hated the greenside ability of the ix. BUT...testing the Tour ix again, i realized that it was much better than my intial thought. The spin was actually pretty good, just was i was looking for... the ix is much better than I thought (just short of Pro V1x).
The Tour i was fairly the same. But i think the i(s) is definitley a better ball than the Tour i.

After testing, i would definitley play the Tour ix and i(z) again.

Good review!! I had just switched to the ix at the end of last year and of course they come out with new balls right after I find one that works and it is good to hear that the iz is a good match.

My salesman (300+ driver) just bought a box to try out. So far he really likes them. Judging from the last time we played, they haven't hurt his distance but they spin so much that he had trouble judging where to land his chips and he spun a couple of short irons back off the front.

After last round he said he is going to switch to them.

The i(z) does spin a bit more than the ix i would agree.
You guys played the Tour i or i(s)?

Anyone have any thoughts on the i(S) now that it's been out a little longer and hopefully others have had a chance to game it? I found one on the second hole on Saturday and used it for the remaining 16 and have never found a ball that performed that well for me. I didn't notice a loss in distance as had been pointed out, but the feel and spin of the ball on approach shots was unbelivable. I birdied a couple of par 3's strictly because the ball stopped where it landed versus rolling 5 or 6 yards (and possibly off the green altogether) like I am used to.

interesting review.

i actually prefer the i(x) over the i(z). the new one is growing on me.....and i like the grahics better...but the color of the cover is better on the i(x) imo....

playability wise.....i(x) is superior for me.

Back