Callaway Sure Out, who…

stryper

Reaction score
Handicap
n/a
…has stuck with it, or come back after abandoning it?

Since I only carry 12 clubs, and my bunker play lately has been inconsistent at best, I’d been thinking of giving my 64 SO a go again, even though it didn’t do me much good in the past. Was also thinking about how much my other wedge play has improved the last couple of years, when a light bulb moment occurred: What if I just played the SO from the bunker like any other (approach) wedge shot?

So with a handful of balls and my SO, I hopped into a bunker on an empty hole. Wiped my mind clean of bunker technique, and proceeded to hit some absolutely spectacular (for me) escapes. Easy outs, pop up and stop shots that left makable putts almost every time. Not perfect, but the only issues that arose came when my older bunker thoughts crept in.

And so the Sure Out gets the 13th slot for now, after years of gathering dust. And I’m wondering if anyone else has stayed the course with theirs or come back home like I have.

Thoughts?

I have a similar club. A Tour Edge 1 out wedge. It was a freebie with another purchase. Sat in the basement for a couple of years then the bunker play went bad and I couldn’t fix it. I pulled out the club I thought I would never use and now it’s not coming out of the play because it makes things so easy. It’s also great on chips out of deep rough.

I've never hit one. I've thought about it because my short game is so lousy though.

How'd you set up to the ball with the sure out? Open stance and open club face like with a sand wedge, or squared up like hitting a regular iron and the club face neutral?

I've never tried one, dont typically carry anything higher than a 56. However, I've had a few bunker shots lately with a very tight pin, a 64* might be fun to try on those shots.

I've never hit one. I've thought about it because my short game is so lousy though.

How'd you set up to the ball with the sure out? Open stance and open club face like with a sand wedge, or squared up like hitting a regular iron and the club face neutral?
Club is square to the target line, stance is square to a little open and narrow, no different than any other wedge shot.

My 56 degree Sure Out is permanently in my bag.

Back