Callaway hybrids - differences?

scott.french3

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I bought Callaway Big Bertha 2019 hybrids last year. Now we have Apex, Epic Flash, Mavrik in addition to my Big Berthas. Did i miss any? What truly are the differences between the different models? Worth changing?

I can only speak to the Apex hybrids. For me they are direct replacements for the same number irons. I hit my 4 & 5 hybrids the same distance as my 4 & 5 irons but I get a higher flight and less roll-out on most shots.

I can speak for the Mavrik hybrids as they are the only ones in the current hybrid offerings that have the AI designed face.

I can compare OG Apex and Mavrik hybrid.
I had both 23* Apex 4H but Mavrik 5H.
Mavrik definitely launch higher with lot more spin. Apex seems longer due to lower spin and lower launch. Maybe 1/2 club.
Mavrik is LOT more forgiving. Launch high and forgiving. I haven’t hit a hook yet so that’s good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on what I saw from some of my Grandaddy brothers the Berthas are distance monsters. My Apex hybrids are iron replacements. I can’t speak to the Flash and Mavrik lines but plenty of others can.

I can attest to the bb19 being a distance monster.

That Big Bertha hybrid is an incredibly good distance hybrid. If you are looking at something that probably retains ball speed a bit better on your misses, then you might look at the newer offerings. I have not hit the Mavrik hybrids, but the Epic Flash is a bit smaller package than the Big Bertha and gives that same amazing ball speed. The Super Hybrid is more fade biased than what you are used to and most are seeing as much ball speed as any hybrid that they have hit, although , again, the Big Bertha is definitely long.

Based on what I saw from some of my Grandaddy brothers the Berthas are distance monsters. My Apex hybrids are iron replacements. I can’t speak to the Flash and Mavrik lines but plenty of others can.

What he said!

I have an Epic Flash 4H and Mavrik 4H. Shape is drastically different, with the Mav taking on the squared toe look. The Flash is a distance monster, like the BB, in a smaller package. It’s also adjustable, unlike the Mav. The Mav feels exceptional and the AI is legit. First time on the LM with it, I hit 3 in a row right at 192 carry, and I’m not the most consistent swinger.

I tried the Apex hybrid and loved it, even though I’m a higher cap. Loved the compact head and feel, but it would be a huge change from the BB. I ultimately traded it in towards a Max 3+ because the Apex carried the exact same distance as my new Epic Forged 5i.

The Mavrik line also has three different hybrids providing different performance.

There are a number of Callaway hybrids on the market but I can see where they all slot in, and I personally enjoy the options.

Don’t forget. There are articles on the a Flash and Mavrik hybrids on the homepage as well that will explain what they are designed for. ;)

Don’t forget. There are articles on the a Flash and Mavrik hybrids on the homepage as well that will explain what they are designed for. ;)

as well as the Big Bertha 2019 that he mentions in the OP. Don't worry, we've you all covered haha

I go to callaway preowned every week pondering 4 hybrids. maybe when the epic flashs pop up.

I've been happy with the Big Bertha 19's. I like the adjustable hosel too. I had to tweak the settings after getting new irons to maintain proper gapping. May demo some of the others this Spring.

Last edited:
I bought Callaway Big Bertha 2019 hybrids last year. Now we have Apex, Epic Flash, Mavrik in addition to my Big Berthas. Did i miss any? What truly are the differences between the different models? Worth changing?
You missed the Rogue! #OldTech circa 2018. And the Super Hybrid for that matter.

I've been on the 2-3-4 Hybrids in this line and they fit perfectly from 5i. The 2H is a trusty off the tee(when I don't hook it) and I love the size, shape, and launch. They hold greens superbly and I use it around the greens when I have tight lies.

Now I did hit the BB last year and I just didn't like the oversize shape of that hybrid. The Apex was too small, more like a players look and I'm not a playa.

I'm sure I'll hit the Mavrik since they look similar to the Rogue, I like that profile and raised toe.

But as of now no plans or consideration to replace these hybrids.

For me the shape makes a difference. I have a hard time hitting the Apex or Super Hybrid. I prefer the Epic Flash or Big Bertha shapes. Something for everyone.

Back