Scorp

Lacking competent adult supervision
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I heard on Callaway fitting room podcast that they have an 11 wood. What iron would that replace in a bag?

6 iron? I usually consider a 7w to be a 4i replacement. Then a 9w as a 5i.

6 iron? I usually consider a 7w to be a 4i replacement. Then a 9w as a 5i.
A 7w is traditionally a 3i replacement ... but what the heck, whatever fills the void.

I heard on Callaway fitting room podcast that they have an 11 wood. What iron would that replace in a bag?

Just get the new TE EXS 220 Hybrid - it's almost as big as a fairway. I used a 9 wood several times for a few rounds. Always got rid of it. If you do it, I'd say get a heavier graphite shaft for more control/accuracy. I did 70-80g. My driver shaft is 53g.

I agree that it would probably replace a 6 iron. Have never hit anything above a 7 wood but have certainly thought about it and would not be opposed to it.

I thought that was the 5w/3H?

5 wood is about 18 degrees, a 3i is traditionallly about 21 degrees. But tradtional lofts are gone ...

I just purchased one (Epic Flash 25º). Depending upon the loft of a person's clubs it could replace a 4, 5, or 6-iron.

If you do get one, shorten the length, and get a heavier than standard shaft to make up for loss in swingweight. Fairways are too long in terms of shaft length - go for consistency and accuracy. My best results with 9 wd were when I went this way. But I picked up speed and better technique and now use a 5i, tempted to go 4i. BUT if I were you, get a bigger headed hybrid - I think Tour Edge Exotics makes one of the better looking hybrids out there that is an almost fairway. Or look at Callawy BB Hybrids.

I've hit the 11 wood at a demo day, and it's a really fun club. I could see someone who was on the slower club speed side and also a sweeper doing some serious damage with it.

I'd love to have a hit of this just for fun. I've got a Callaway 7 wood that I use quite a bit and it's an absolute weapon of a club. Straight as an arrow and launches like an 8 iron.

I've got a Top Flite Intimidator 400 9-wood with Fenwick Muscle shaft.
It's a good club, actually, especially for an antique, but for me, it never replaced an iron.
It was for hitting out of rough or over trees. And it worked.

Callaway was making an 11-wood back then in the Warbird era.
They called it the "Ely," and as I recall, it was about the same loft as my 9-wood.
There was also a 28º Stainless Ginty from Stan Thompson.

I play a 9w. I didn’t get it to replace a specific iron as much as hitting a specific yardage

I'm trying to tell myself that I'm not in the market for new clubs and that my wife wouldn't approve... but I was thinking. I've got a driver. A 3 wood. A 7 wood. I'll have to look and see what the loft is of my 7 wood and my 4i and whether the two go the same distance. I never really thought about it. I just have the clubs in my bag because that's what I've always done. If they go the same distance (for me and my swing) then I might be able to drop my 4i and replace it with something else.

I got the 7 wood used when I was looking for a matching 5 wood for to my driver and 3 wood. I wound up getting the 7wood instead. Never did find a 5 wood... and technology has raced ahead so quickly now that I feel the need to upgrade my clubs even though they're better than I am.

Decisions...

One of my HS kids plays an 11 wood. Its hilarious fun to hit.

Depending on how you want to setup your bag it could be anything!

If it replaced the 6 iron. I would love to kick my 6 iron out of the bag after the way it has behaved the last 4 or 5 rounds.

My slower swinging buddy uses a 9w to replace his 4h spot.

Even though an 11w is high lofted it’s going to be several inches longer then a hybrid or iron producing more swing speed.

Maybe I can update my clubs with some used ones. I’m not proud. New technology could come in handy.

Back