Buying clubs from a bad swing fitting

Gyro25

It's a Jersey thiiinngg
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Not sure if I'm having buyers remorse or just questioning if I should have waited until I had a better swing under my belt, but I have some internal angst after my fitting and club buy today

I currently play 2017 p790s with modus 120 stiffs, and I hit them moderately well but I leave some strokes out there missing the green w/ a 2 way miss

When I went for my fitting today I was hitting almost everything fat (above center on the face), open faced, and having a much bigger push/slice than I have on the course .. some of my course misses are actually an overdraw and I had 0 today except for the really bad swings I caught the mat and the face closed.

My P790 7i is typically 165 or so, but on the trackman I was getting 150-155

I was fit into srixon ZX MKII with modus 120 xs, swing speed of 93-94 with the 7i.. elected for 5-pw, may ass the 4i if I feel I need it to gap or shop for another wood since I know I'll have a gap after my 3HL

I wish I got an email with the results, I'll have to call tomorrow to see if that was all compiled but I think shots got mishmoshed

With only 1 round and very limited range/practice time I'm 2nd guessing if I should have waited a little more into the season to get new irons, since the irons I bought would be the ones I'm playing for the next few years

I think he was even surprised I pulled the trigger on them based on how off my swing was.

Anyone deal with this? Did clubs you didn't have the best swing @ fitting end up working out for you after?

Not sure if I'm having buyers remorse or just questioning if I should have waited until I had a better swing under my belt, but I have some internal angst after my fitting and club buy today

I currently play 2017 p790s with modus 120 stiffs, and I hit them moderately well but I leave some strokes out there missing the green w/ a 2 way miss

When I went for my fitting today I was hitting almost everything fat (above center on the face), open faced, and having a much bigger push/slice than I have on the course .. some of my course misses are actually an overdraw and I had 0 today except for the really bad swings I caught the mat and the face closed.

My P790 7i is typically 165 or so, but on the trackman I was getting 150-155

I was fit into srixon ZX MKII with modus 120 xs, swing speed of 93-94 with the 7i.. elected for 5-pw, may ass the 4i if I feel I need it to gap or shop for another wood since I know I'll have a gap after my 3HL

I wish I got an email with the results, I'll have to call tomorrow to see if that was all compiled but I think shots got mishmoshed

With only 1 round and very limited range/practice time I'm 2nd guessing if I should have waited a little more into the season to get new irons, since the irons I bought would be the ones I'm playing for the next few years

I think he was even surprised I pulled the trigger on them based on how off my swing was.

Anyone deal with this? Did clubs you didn't have the best swing @ fitting end up working out for you after?
Honestly, If it were me, I'd cancel the order and get better data from a "typical" swing profile. 🤷‍♂️

Honestly, If it were me, I'd cancel the order and get better data from a "typical" swing profile. 🤷‍♂️

If I get really unsure about it overnight I'll call them in the morning, but I kind of suspect the order went in already and if so who knows if it can be canceled

But last then again I was never fit into my previous irons and I've made them work for a few years each.. this might also be because I've never spent this much on clubs , maybe I'm ok with "ok results" when I'm spending less and I went in with unreal expectations

I need a whiskey to calm down my overthinking 😂

I had a bad fitting for my Apex 21s. I never hit them as good as I hoped. After a year, I contacted Callaway about getting them reshafted. The rep suggested I get another fitting which I did. I called Callaway back and they did a complete swap for no charge for another set of Apex with better shafts too. I’m sold on Callaway due to their excellent customer service.

I had a bad fitting for my Apex 21s. I never hit them as good as I hoped. After a year, I contacted Callaway about getting them reshafted. The rep suggested I get another fitting which I did. I called Callaway back and they did a complete swap for no charge for another set of Apex with better shafts too. I’m sold on Callaway due to their excellent customer service.

Callaway no doubt has some top notch CS.. in fact I'll be giving a call to the guy ive worked with yearly to trade in the p790s where if the 50% bonus is occurring, would cover the majority of a driver.

Though I'm tempted to give the zx7 driver another year, but a little competition might be a good thing for it too

That’s damn impressive.

Wow, totally agree. That is damn solid CS for sure.

@Gyro25, I pretty much did the same thing. Absolute worst swing since I first started playing. EVERYTHING was SLICE, SLICE, SLICE! It was my first ever fitting and was nervous on top of it all.

I had already purchased a set of Apex DCB's (6-AW), an Epic Max driver and the MD CB wedges. (I was still playing the Strata Box set 3W, 4h and 5h at the top of the bag at the time.) I had two priorities: 1) Get into a graphite shafts as the steel shafts were just killing my elbows and 2) square up the top of the bag. My fitter actually did a great job and did everything I had hoped he would. (See sig for bag make up now.)

I've since corrected my swing to a playable level and actually wondering if I should have just reached out to Callaway to see if they could get me into the Recoils. (I've since hit the new Srixon ZX5 MKII's with the Recoil shafts and the feel is really, really close to my MMT's.) As my play has improved, I'm leaning away from the SGI type clubs now and pondering a more players like iron.

Bottom line: it's worked out ok for me as my swing at the time of the fitting was a crazy aberration. Now to see what the new Apex line looks like later this year.

It's a tough call. One train of thought would be that we all have crap swings show up on the course as well. If the swing at the fitting was at least representative of what your off days look like then I'd go with it.

If you never miss right and at the fitting everything was a big slice, then another fitting may be in order.

Back