Buyers remorse...

Redowl

Reaction score
Handicap
fast food
I didn't want to threadjack another thread, so I thought I would ask this here.
I currently use a 10+ year old Cleveland low-bounce wedge. It is, by far, the most comfortable & familiar club in my bag aside from my putter. Unfortunately, the grooves are non-existent and the grip is original (I know, I know...). So it's time for me to get something new.
I've been eyeing SCOR wedges for a long time now (ever since I found this forum) but haven't pulled the trigger due to price.

In a moment of penny-pinching, I purchased a Callaway Mack Daddy 2 w/ the standard grooves but am now feeling buyers remorse. The club only cost me $80 vs. the $140 that a SCOR would cost - but I am wondering if I am missing out.

What are your thoughts?

Md2 is a good wedge, though it took me a while to warm up to the shape. Will be pretty different than your Cleveland. Scor is popular with its customers, but plenty others I'd take over them personally. If it's too late, it's too late. See how it works out and cut your losses if you have to.

I'm of the mindset that a good deal of practice can get you using just about any bit of gear you own, and using it proficiently (with some exceptions of course). Given that you gamed a particular style of wedge for so long, it's a given that you'll take time to adjust to something different. I'd give it time.

I will be honest with you, I have played both and really prefer the MD2 wedge. Thats obviously going to be different for everyone but I just couldnt get along with the SCOR wedges. I think you got a really good deal on the MD2 and would give it a try. If you dont like it you can probably get your money back in the MP as the MD2 wedges sell for around $110 new.

I think Scor has a 30 day guarantee (or at least they did)...for what it's worth.

The MD2 is a legit wedge that does perform very well. If you stand over it and feel confident keep it in the bag, that's all that matters. Also, SCOR will ship you out a demo iron for the cost of shipping to try out for few weeks. If this is really eating at you demo them side by side and make your choice.

I'm a SCOR fan, but they are wedges, not the holy grail. Some people like them a lot, for some people they don't work so good. I think wedges are about as personal as putters, there are none that are perfect for everyone. I've looked at the Mac Daddy's and they look real nice to me. I'd hang on to it and let it get comfortable in your hands for a bit, then decide.

If you decide you aren't happy, perhaps you should take your old trusty wedge to someone that can check the specs on it (overall weight, swing weight, length and lie) and try to get a replacement that matches those as closely as possible. If you want to try SCOR you can get a demo club from them to test for 30 days, but it may or may not fit you exactly, the demo had too flat a lie for my taste. I am quite sure if you gave the specs you wanted to SCOR they would work hard to make you a club that matched.

Sounds like pretty sound advice across the board.
I have no negative feelings about the MD2 - I hit it a few times on the simulator and liked the contact it/I made. As it's already been pointed out - everything is going to feel differently than my decade-old Cleveland.
After so many years with the Cleveland, I learned how to 'work it' and it sounds like the V-sole on the SCOR is specifically designed to help w/ that sort of adjustment. That doesn't mean the Callaway can't - you just don't here as much about it.
The MD2 is still new in the box and would be easy enough to return.

Honestly, in my daily non-golf life I am really good at making decisions...

If you really like your old Cleveland wedge and don't want to go through an "adjustment period" (don't understand this concept at all BTW), you might try finding one in good condition on eBay.

Re-grip your old wedge and sharpen the old grooves. Thats what I did. I just had my carbite re gripped (Lamkin x10) for 8 bucks at Dicks and I keep my grooves in good condition. I don't get how people buy wedges like disposable razors. If you have something that has worked for you then keep it and maintain/restore it for dirt cheap.

Re-grip your old wedge and sharpen the old grooves. Thats what I did. I just had my carbite re gripped (Lamkin x10) for 8 bucks at Dicks and I keep my grooves in good condition. I don't get how people buy wedges like disposable razors. If you have something that has worked for you then keep it and maintain/restore it for dirt cheap.
I certainly understand the 'don't fix it if it ain't broken' philosophy. I've never traded up on clubs year after year (hence the adolescent wedge), but I was thinking now might be a good time to cut the cord and see what new wedge technology has to offer (grind, grooves, grips, etc).
I won't be throwing the Cleveland away, and I may re-grip it and sharpen the grooves just to have it available if needed or if I am feeling nostalgic.

Random thought, but if you like the old Cleveland, have you looked for a newer one that is similar in style? I really like the CG14 line with the square grooves. While that is an "older" wedge, I bought one earlier this year that was still in the original plastic.

Also, I believe that the MD2 was designed by Roger Cleveland. It may share more DNA with your current club than you release.

If you really like your old Cleveland wedge and don't want to go through an "adjustment period" (don't understand this concept at all BTW), you might try finding one in good condition on eBay.

Exactly what I was going to say. I don't have the desire to learn a new set of clubs.

MD2 is a fantastic wedge.

I know I love MD2 wedge, so.......everything is subjective. Demo as many as you can.

Back