Brought my young son on the course for the first time

Saywhat4412

2022 Grandaddy
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My son, who's just over two and a half years old, has been practicing his swings at the driving range and Topgolf for about a year now. I've always wanted him to simply enjoy the game and have fun hitting some balls. Yesterday at my local golf course, the 18th tee is close to the parking lot. So I had my wife bring our son to meet my playing partner and me there between 17 & 18 and go to lunch at the clubhouse after.

Excited, I handed him a club and let him take a few shots on the 18th hole. He absolutely loved it! First on the tee box I let him hit some extra balls I had in my bag into the water. Then some shots on the course. Although he had a small adventure—running into a sand trap (which I cleaned up afterward) and nearly taking a big chunk out of the green (fortunately, he just topped the ball instead). I almost had a heart attack as I saw him take a massive backswing, but he was very sorry once he realized, not having known better.

Just as we were about to leave in our cart, a golf ball landed within ten feet from us. The lovely group behind us decided to start hitting balls into us. The course had been congested all day. However luckily for the group behind us we were playing as a twosome since we had last minute canceling by half our group. So they barely ever had any wait. As we were driving away, we noticed another ball close by, also hit by the same group that we didn't notice when it was first hit.

I decided not to confront them or say anything, choosing instead to focus on preserving the positivity of my son’s first real experience on a golf course. But the incident left me pissed off, and it's been on my mind ever since. Who TF hits golf balls into another person on purpose? WORSE IT TO PURPOSELY HIT A GOLF BALL AT A ******* TODDLER!!!!

That is a huge bummer to end what sounded like a great experience.

Some people are just terrible people, I'm sorry.

Sorry you had that bad moment that could have almost ruined what was a great moment. However, very happy that your son got to have that experience with you and I'm sure it's something you won't soon forget.

Just to play devil's advocate a tiny bit....Is it possible when you got in your cart you lingered a bit before leaving?

Not justifying what they did, just saying maybe when they saw you get in your cart they went ahead to hit figuring you'd be gone by the time the balls landed

Again, not justifying---just saying maybe they didn't intentionally hit into you and it was more an accident

I should also comment he wasn't playing the entire hole so we weren't holding anyone up. He was just riding with us hit a couple balls into the water while we were waiting for the group ahead of us and then a couple shots around the green. He is certainly way too young to play a hole. I just wanted him to have fun riding in the golf cart and hit a couple shots on a real course.

Just to play devil's advocate a tiny bit....Is it possible when you got in your cart you lingered a bit before leaving?

Not justifying what they did, just saying maybe when they saw you get in your cart they went ahead to hit figuring you'd be gone by the time the balls landed

Again, not justifying---just saying maybe they didn't intentionally hit into you and it was more an accident
Definitely get what you're saying and no definitely not. I get anxiety getting off the green that I am in someone's way so I always rush off.

At the end of the day he had fun and nothing came of it. It's just hard to find a balance of getting him into the game while also respecting others. Top golf and the range are perfect spots. I am probably just a little sensitive about this particular moment since it's fresh in my mind. I just don't think a kid riding in the cart for 1 hole and putting a couple shots is the end of the world.

Gosh that's a brutal way to end such a great experience. I know myself I'm looking forward to eventually getting my son out there (14 months). Hope it doesn't discourage you from bringing him out again soon!

Gosh that's a brutal way to end such a great experience. I know myself I'm looking forward to eventually getting my son out there (14 months). Hope it doesn't discourage you from bringing him out again soon!
No definitely not. I will do the same thing again. Have my wife bring him and let him hit a couple shots around the green on 18 then grab lunch. It won't hold up anyone and he loves riding in the golf cart. He loves going to the driving range and top golf. Just a bit of advice if you go to top golf and your son is anything like mine you may want to get two bays as he won't want anyone else to hit lol. Sharing isn't exactly high on a toddlers priorities.

No definitely not. I will do the same thing again. Have my wife bring him and let him hit a couple shots around the green on 18 then grab lunch. It won't hold up anyone and he loves riding in the golf cart. He loves going to the driving range and top golf. Just a bit of advice if you go to top golf and your son is anything like mine you may want to get two bays as he won't want anyone else to hit lol. Sharing isn't exactly high on a toddlers priorities.
I will definitely do that! Great idea. And we have a newer topgolf pretty close to the house, so I'm sure we'll be checking it out

People suck.

Sorry you had that happen and you did much better than I probably would have. Good for you and glad it ended well for him. It's so hard to stay calm and still be in protection mode for our little people.

Sorry you had that happen and you did much better than I probably would have. Good for you and glad it ended well for him. It's so hard to stay calm and still be in protection mode for our little people.
He did tell his mom "I won golf" at lunch so there is some contention within the household.

He did tell his mom "I won golf" at lunch so there is some contention within the household.
I mean, he definitely took fewer strokes than you.

Glad you were able to get the kid out. Sucks that other people suck.

I mean, he definitely took fewer strokes than you.

Glad you were able to get the kid out. Sucks that other people suck.
Damnit that is actually true. We won't tell him that though. Appreciate it, it was fun regardless. The weather around here has been perfect lately so it was a great first day out.

Damnit that is actually true. We won't tell him that though. Appreciate it, it was fun regardless. The weather around here has been perfect lately so it was a great first day out.
I came to the realization this weekend that even if I have to take a cart and bring the kids with me, that's going to be cheaper than a babysitter. So lots more kids in the cart with me this summer to get my golf in!

Just wait until he asks to go to the course!

I came to the realization this weekend that even if I have to take a cart and bring the kids with me, that's going to be cheaper than a babysitter. So lots more kids in the cart with me this summer to get my golf in!

Going to steal this for future discussions with the wife

What Ever GIF by Newcastle University

Driving Chris Farley GIF

@captaincaution pulling away from the green after 3 putt double

Great that you had the experience with your son and he had some enjoyment. Unfortunately if it is the course I think, its not expected as it gets SLOW out there based on them congesting the tee sheet with starting groups off 1 & 10 every morning.

Focus on the good stuff and continue enjoying the time on the course!

A few years ago on a busy day the group behind us was getting impatient. Everyone had to wait for the group ahead. They pulled up behind us as we were waiting for the group on the fairway to move on. They were complaining as if we were holding them up. When we were on the fairway they starting hitting up on us. After the 3rd time while we were patiently waiting for the group to get off the green my playing partner went up to each ball and hit it back at them. They stopped complaining.

Wow, some people are just too stupid to be considered human. You met at least 1 or 2 of them in your round. Just as I could have easily misjudged the kids I golfed with last week - they were new to the game but certainly not bad kids. In the end you had a few hours on the course with your kid - cherish that, and try to forget the rest.

Back