Bowhunters Thread

PVA_Golf 93

Reaction score
Handicap
Got any hunters on here, specifically bow hunters? Didnt see any recent threads on it so wanted to fire one up!

I used to be an avid bowhunter but time and less and less access to quality hunting land has killed my drive to do it. I still like to hit the uplands a few times every year though.

Last edited:
I used to really enjoy being out earlier in the year - before all the yahoos come up. There is so much more going on in the woods. I never did take a deer during with a bow - only with a rifle.

I haven’t been out with a bow for several seasons now. I’ve considered getting a crossbow but that seems almost like cheating.

Down where I am it tends to still be super hot in October when things kick off so that's put the damper on things although I plan to go this year.

Count me in as a bow hunter.

It’s always an internal struggle in October/November to decide if I’m golfing or hunting for the weekend.

Down where I am it tends to still be super hot in October when things kick off so that's put the damper on things although I plan to go this year.

Same, I hunt Southside Virginia. It's usually in the upper 70s or even low 80s in early October when it starts. When the first good cold front comes in, they really get moving. Its mainly a first light or last light deal early on due to the temps.

I used to really enjoy being out earlier in the year - before all the yahoos come up. There is so much more going on in the woods. I never did take a deer during with a bow - only with a rifle.

I haven’t been out with a bow for several seasons now. I’ve considered getting a crossbow but that seems almost like cheating.

My friend's dad had the same opinion until he got arthritis so bad he couldn't draw his bow, decided to get one and hasn't looked back since. I agree with you though, while you are physically able, compound/traditional is the way to go

My friend's dad had the same opinion until he got arthritis so bad he couldn't draw his bow, decided to get one and hasn't looked back since. I agree with you though, while you are physically able, compound/traditional is the way to go

I took my first deer with a bow when I was age 12 in 1977 and have alway enjoyed shooting a bow. I bought a crossbow last fall but so far have used it just for target practice and taking out an aggressive raccoon(getting into our garbage) and a few rabbits that were eating the landscaping/plants on our lot. The deer are getting more numerous and destructive even with all the deer fencing we put up for the winter months so I see myself harvesting a deer or two each fall in the future. Minnesota allows anyone age 60 and older to use a crossbow during archery season to take deer so I’ll have to use a regular bow for the next two years. We are in a zone where the MN DNR allows 3 deer to be harvested per hunter. My bow is my original Bear compound from 1975 and super slow so I’m due for an upgrade this fall, lol.

IMG_3383.jpeg

I used to be an avid bowhunter but time and less and less access to quality hunting land has killed my drive to do it. I still like to hit the uplands a few times every year though.
about the same here. and when they allowed special permit leases to gun hunt in October it kinda dampened my excitement for October to roll around.
Same, I hunt Southside Virginia. It's usually in the upper 70s or even low 80s in early October when it starts. When the first good cold front comes in, they really get moving. Its mainly a first light or last light deal early on due to the temps.

Try walking to your stand in 95° heat. When you get on stand, the first little afternoon breeze feels like someone turned on the AC.

I started with recurves. Graduated to longbows. Built and hunted with some of both.
3 deer to my credit, all under 17 yards. 2 with recurve, 1 longbow.

Not a hunter but I love to target shoot with my bow. Sadly my shop/range closed down and it’s now an hour drive to the nearest archery range so I don’t shoot much anymore

Not a hunter but I love to target shoot with my bow. Sadly my shop/range closed down and it’s now an hour drive to the nearest archery range so I don’t shoot much anymore
Thumbs down for the shop closing down. Hopefully maybe one day you can get back into it!

Just walked through Scheels and saw a bow for $1500!😳
I guess Golf doesn’t have anything on bow hunting 😂

Just like golf, you've got the high end, and the mid to low end that still gets the job done 😂 I fall into the latter category for both!!:LOL:

take a look at target bows if you want to see expensive. Mine was about 1500 for the bow, 200ish for the rest, 400ish for the sight, few hundred more for stabilizers. Target shooting is very expensive to get into.

Back