Best overall iron design for different course conditions

ZenGolfer

Reaction score
As the drought continued this summer and fall here in southeast Texas, I found that for dry course conditions with only a thin layer of grass, my usual wide sole game improvement irons did not seem to get the job done. The club would not slide very well on the "turf" but would tend to bounce up into the ball creating a very thin hit if I made any contact at all with the ground behind the ball. I tried a set of old blades and found that it was easier to make solid hits with the smaller clubhead. Of course, the sweet spot on the blades is much smaller, but it made me think that maybe irons with a medium sole width would be best for different course conditions regardless of a player's handicap level.
Does anyone agree? If so, what irons do you think is the overall ideal set?

My irons are borderline SGI (Callaway X22) and I have no problems from a variety of lies. I think it has much more to do with technique.

This will very much depend on many factors and turf just being one of them. Steepness of swing, digger vs sweeper, leading edge design, etc. I really dont have issues with a thicker soled club off of rock like tight lies, but I know others that do. I try to adapt to what I am playing, rather than changing equipment when it might be unnecessary, but that is just my thing. I am a very big advocate in forgiveness where it is applicable.

I think playing in hard pan conditions might be tougher with thick soled clubs but I've been doing it for quite a while and can hit some pretty high shots from the hard pan. I also hit thinned shots more than I would like so I'm not sure. I would like to experiment with this a little myself since I'm testing the Adams a12 OS right now.

Where I play the courses are fairly moist. I never played hard pan...though I could do with the extra roll. :)

Back