sherwoodnatl

Reaction score
Handicap
Played today early in the morning. I was in a lie behind a tree. Had a clear opening for a perfect 8 iron shot into the green. I swung and my club clipped the tree and bent the steel shaft of the club. It was bent slightly to the side, so at adress, i had to move the ball about 1/4 inch back to get the club straight.

Through some labor, i managed to push the shaft so it is nearly perfectly straight. If you would look at it now, it looks perfectly normal.

Even though it looks normal ---
1. Will my shots still be affected? As in will good swings become pushes/pulls, even if the shaft is now back to normal?
2. Will the shaft break? and
3. Will i need a new shaft?

The shaft still seems as strong as any shaft in my bag. You would barely (if at all) even notice the bend in the shaft.

Last edited:
If it were me, I would replace it.

It wouldve been a stronger shaft if it were left in the bent position, now that you bent it back, atll be incredibly weak. Definitely replace it and learn not to hit the hero shots.

I get that i probably should replace that shaft

I dont want to because i have a tournament coming up though.

Really, im asking - Will shots be affected by the small bend? Ive hit a few shots with the bend and it seems to feel the same and go the same distance. Can i squeeze out the rest of the year maybe with minimal side effects?

Edit - I understand that the bent portion of the shaft will be a shade weaker than the rest of the shaft. Im just not sure if i need to replace it. The initial bend was small, so I did a little work and made it straight again. I just want to know if shots will be affected, and thus, my 8 iron play suffering

Also, not sure if its important, but I was fitted for the shafts in my irons.

Last edited:
I get that i probably should replace that shaft

I dont want to because i have a tournament coming up though.

Really, im asking - Will shots be affected by the small bend? Ive hit a few shots with the bend and it seems to feel the same and go the same distance. Can i squeeze out the rest of the year maybe with minimal side effects?

Edit - I understand that the bent portion of the shaft will be a shade weaker than the rest of the shaft. Im just not sure if i need to replace it. The initial bend was small, so I did a little work and made it straight again. I just want to know if shots will be affected, and thus, my 8 iron play suffering

Also, not sure if its important, but I was fitted for the shafts in my irons.

Yes it will affect it. If you have a tourny, why not replace it with the identical shaft and not have to worry about it. Yes, in my opinion, the shots will be affected. The consistency could be greatly affected.

Alright, thanks for the help

Alright, thanks for the help

Ask yourself this question. If you had a bump in the face of your driver and were able to flatten it out with a hammer would you replace the iron? Even if you hit it and it still appeared to work perfectly? I think the shaft would be just as important in my opinion.

you do not want the clubhead flying off and killing someone/yourself... that would not be good

Back