deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
Has anyone bought one of these for their little kids? Thinking of getting a Strider 12 pro for Nick this Christmas. Wondering if he'll outgrow it too quickly. The other option is to go with a Strider 14, but it may be too big/heavy for him right now.

Try Craigslist first, you can pick them up for 1/4 the price and see if it's liked. My son has had his since he was 19 months and is now 2.5 years. I wish I would have gotten one with breaks because he goes way fast and likes to do jumps. Read some reviews about the ones with hand brakes before you buy.

He has the Strider 12 classic and would last till 4 but like I said, he needs some breaks. If I had to do it again I'd get a woom probably.

https://www.twowheelingtots.com/the-best-balance-bike-for-your-dollar-2/

We have these for our boys and they are getting more into them now. I think we got them on Amazon and they were pretty cheap from what I remember. Not sure of the make though

Try Craigslist first, you can pick them up for 1/4 the price and see if it's liked. My son has had his since he was 19 months and is now 2.5 years. I wish I would have gotten one with breaks because he goes way fast and likes to do jumps. Read some reviews about the ones with hand brakes before you buy.

He has the Strider 12 classic and would last till 4 but like I said, he needs some breaks. If I had to do it again I'd get a woom probably.

https://www.twowheelingtots.com/the-best-balance-bike-for-your-dollar-2/
The Strider sells a foot brake. Not sure how well they work as compared to a hand brake though (probably doesn't help them transition to a regular bike). I'll look at the Woom.

I, too, would suggest looking at Craigslist first. That, and if you have a BMX track in the area that'll be a great place to get one; most all BMX tracks offer Strider race classes now and I'm sure the turnover is big, from Striders to BMX Mini's anyway.

Don't spend money on a balance bike, then shortly thereafter, buy a bicycle.

Buy the bicycle and remove the pedals. Then, after they've got the hang of it, put the pedals back on. No money wasted.

Worked fantastic for my youngest. Took 3 days and she was good to go.

My neighbors 4 boys all used them so I got them for my 2 boys. Sat in the garage and collected dust. Lol I guess you won't know until you try.

My son loves his and made going to a big pedal bike simple.
The comment above about taking the pedals off a pedal bike is ok but what we found is that as small as these kids are that are using striders, the pedal bikes are way heavier, even with pedals removed.

Never heard of these before.

But, on a regular bike, I had my step daughter learn by going around a school parking lot using this method, until she was ready to pedal. Took about ten minutes. She was the last one to still be using training wheels and I decided to see if this would work, and it was a breeze.

I'm a big fan of balance bikes. I have three granddaughters benefitting from this right now. The 4-year-old started using a balance bike at age 2. She is now pedaling away on a 2-wheeler and the transition was really easy. Since she had the balancing down all she had to do was learn to pedal without disturbing her balance. We went on an extended bike ride together yesterday. The 2-year old twins are now taking to the balance bike. I think at least one of them is going to be ready for the transition to a 2-wheeler next year.

No need to buy either bike new. At this age they turn over from one bike to another so fast there are plenty out there in like new condition. The bike my 4-year old granddaughter rode yesterday was literally given to us by a neighbor and it's like new...and it's a princess bike!

My wife wants to get one for my daughter and my only argument against is kids learned to ride bikes just fine before these miracles of technology.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

These are the ones we have for the boys

af5cfb9463772485634319a10cd05429.jpg

My wife wants to get one for my daughter and my only argument against is kids learned to ride bikes just fine before these miracles of technology.

While that's completely true, this method GREATLY reduces the amount of time you spend running behind them helping.

While that's completely true, this method GREATLY reduces the amount of time you spend running behind them helping.
I get that. We're having an issue where she won't try, even with me running next to her. She's content with her scooter. Maybe next summer we'll give it another go.

My daughter loves hers and my son will get it when she moves on to a pedal bike. At 2 years old shes pretty good with it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back