Average FIR/GIR/Putts to break 90, 80?

sacul1573

What's a GIR?
Reaction score
Handicap
Kind of off a similar thread about distance, what about accuracy? What are the average FIR/GIR percentages and # of putts per 18 for a scratch golfer vs. a bogey golfer?

I'm starting to get a good history on my stats, and was wondering what I should work on the most to break into the high 70s/low 80s. I'm a little better than a bogey golfer, and my stats are 57% FIR, 31% GIR, 24% saves, and 32 putts. Dont know which numbers are good or bad, other than they are all less than 100%? :confused2:

I would say your FIR looks pretty good. Mine is only like 35% but our GIR are about the same. I think you should be hitting more greens with that FIR %. So I would work on your irons and putting. I know putting is killing me. I rarely 1 putt and 3 putt alot :(

I don't keep stats, but I don't think I've ever hit more than 50% fairways in any round in my life. I usually manage not to miss by too far, so it doesn't hurt my scoring like you'd think it might. Same with GIR... I miss a lot of greens but I get up and down a lot too. If I did keep stats, scrambling and saves would likely be my best numbers, along with total putting. I hit some of my best shots when I'm recovering from trouble. :golf2:

Interesting topic. Like others have already said, your FIR is very high. When I'm having a good round I'm hitting 50%. Your GIR seems a little low for hitting so many fairways. I wonder, are you having to hit lots of long irons/hybrids into par 4s?

I think you can work on your save % too. If you can get that closer to 50%, because you're missing about 11 greens a round, that will save you 2 or 3 more strokes a round.

Your putts at 32 is decent, that will go down by 2 or 3 when you start converting more saves.

For me I have only broken 80 once and the majority of my rounds are mid-high 80's. The one time I did break 80 I hit 12 of 18 GIR. For me that is the key stat in breaking 80.

I too have only broken 80 once...

Here are my stats though:

35.7% fir
38.9% gir
28 putts
Scrambled only 2/11 times.

The best putting round I've ever had. Don't have to hit that many gir if you can putt lights out...

I think gir with little to no 3-putts is key to being low 80s/high 70's consistently.

Stats are great, that's why we keep them, but golf has a funny way of goofing (no pun intended) all that up.

I shot the best 86 of my life today, lol. I hit 4/6 fIR on the front and 4/9 GIR for a 42 because I had too many putts.

On the back I only had 2/7 FIR and 3/9 GIR for a 44 with the same amount of putts.

It all works out when you figure in the distance difference on the back and the wind was howling 20 to 25 which effects more on the back for this course. Chips and putts are really the stat that matters to me. Any time I can get 30 or below putts I know I will be very close to 80 with my game.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Back