Auto maintenence cost

Postman

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm about to move to Vegas next week but before i leave San Diego I need some maintenence done,car has 103k miles,my mechanic said he would do the following for 900 bucks

timing belt and tensioners
water pump
serpentine belt
thermostat
upper and lower radiator hoses
spark plugs
oil change

question is,does this look about right?I figure this is an all day job

car is an 04 sonata

I don't know about prices in the US, but getting the timing belt+water pump done up here is around $700, give or take a bit. If your mechanic offered that up here for $900, people would be all over him assuming it's quality work.

Sounds about right, I paid that about 4 years ago on my '98 Toyota Avalon with everything you listed plus brakes, I would imagine that price is in line with todays prices.

I don't know about prices in the US, but getting the timing belt+water pump done up here is around $700, give or take a bit. If your mechanic offered that up here for $900, people would be all over him assuming it's quality work.

just called up two hyundai dealers to see what they charge

san diego dealer said 700 for timing belt and water pump
vegas dealer said 700 for timing belt alone,the lady gave me a price in two seconds so I don't think that was correct

so 900 is looking real good for the rest of the stuff I'm getting

Those numbers don't sound out of line to be honest. Keep in mind that dealers charge you by how long the car company says it'll take. If Lexus says it'll take 5 hours to do the water pump and timing belt but the dealer does it in 2.5...well you're getting charged the full 5 hours worth of labor.

My friend did my GF's civic for $350. Water pump, timing belt, and spark plugs.

Those numbers don't sound out of line to be honest. Keep in mind that dealers charge you by how long the car company says it'll take. If Lexus says it'll take 5 hours to do the water pump and timing belt but the dealer does it in 2.5...well you're getting charged the full 5 hours worth of labor.

I'm thinking that's pretty much SOP most places. I know several mechanics who say the same thing.

I'm thinking that's pretty much SOP most places. I know several mechanics who say the same thing.

Yessir it is..just making sure the OP knew why the prices were so different from his mechanic versus the dealer.

Yessir it is..just making sure the OP knew why the prices were so different from his mechanic versus the dealer.

oh yeah I know about dealer vs local mechanic,I know the dealer is gonna bust your butt.In the past though i have had a situation where dealer and local mechanic were virtually charging the same thing so I had to see how they compared

oh yeah I know about dealer vs local mechanic,I know the dealer is gonna bust your butt.In the past though i have had a situation where dealer and local mechanic were virtually charging the same thing so I had to see how they compared

When I'm pricing out labor my last question to the dealer is usually "So what specials do you guys have this month?" You never know how bad they want your business and they know you're shopping around.

When I'm pricing out labor my last question to the dealer is usually "So what specials do you guys have this month?" You never know how bad they want your business and they know you're shopping around.

will try this in the future

Back