Armlock without the armlock?

mts25

Reaction score
Handicap
I've always been a pretty good putter, but it's sort of gone off the rails this season for whatever reason. I still have very few to no 3 putts, but my make % outside 8 ft. has dropped dramatically.

I tried tinkering with a few different putters with no luck. I recently tried a couple arm lock putters and could not get comfortable with them. I felt like I was really needing to manipulate my lead arm/wrist to get the putter locked in and keep my shoulders square. However, while I was tinkering I noticed that I felt very comfortable with the heavier weight of the armlock putters and the forward press needed to get the putter loft right with the arm lock putters. I found that doing the forward press, while not quite getting the putter touching my left forearm at all gave me a really nice roll on the ball and I've started making some really nice strokes on my putts now.

My routine is fully pressing the putter against my forearm with the few practice strokes (which really promotes using the your shoulders/big muscles on the stroke), dropping it off my forearm for one practice stroke, then letting it fly without the putter touching my arm. It's working extremely well for me.

I just thought I would share for anyone struggling with their putting and have tried an arm lock and could not get comfortable with it. You might give what I'm doing a try. The added bonus is that if they making locking the putter against your arm illegal at some point in the future, it won't impact me. :)

Sounds like you may need to check the loft on your putter. Armlock putters are a must fit. Loft and lie needs will vary greatly from golfer to golfer since it must be locked into place on your left arm. There is no fudging a bad fit it with your stance and hands. I think the arm lock is a great training aid as it forces you to not get handsy. Handsy putting will kill consistency.

Sounds like you may need to check the loft on your putter. Armlock putters are a must fit. Loft and lie needs will vary greatly from golfer to golfer since it must be locked into place on your left arm. There is no fudging a bad fit it with your stance and hands. I think the arm lock is a great training aid as it forces you to not get handsy. Handsy putting will kill consistency.

I had 5 birdies yesterday, 4 of them outside 8 ft. I'm rolling it better than I have in a long time. I'm going to have to go ahead and pass on any changes to the loft on this putter or the way that I'm using it for now.:)

Back