Are spiked shoes necessary anymore?

I own a couple of pairs that I would wear in the fall when lots of wet leaves on ground so as to avoid slipping but last year I didn’t even bring them upstairs. I find them handy but have been ignoring them as they just aren’t as comfortable as spikeless.

I own a couple of pairs that I would wear in the fall when lots of wet leaves on ground so as to avoid slipping but last year I didn’t even bring them upstairs. I find them handy but have been ignoring them as they just aren’t as comfortable as spikeless.
Years ago I kind of saved my last couple pairs of SoftSpike shoes for that same reason. But I noticed on wet leaves or thick pine needles my feet can still slip even wearing SoftSpikes. It's actually very unusual no matter what shoes I wear. I'm not sure the SoftSpikes make it less often at all, either way just not a serious issue.

But like you I noticed the spikeless are far more comfortable so that's what I wear. Although I think I do have a muddy old pair of Footjoys with SoftSpikes out in the garage or somewhere, that I haven't gotten around to tossing yet.

One difference in spikeless vs. SoftSpikes...

I'm not a foot-dragger but very occasionally I have snagged a SoftSpike on the putting green and made a scuff mark. Not sure I've ever done that wearing spikeless golf shoes or sneakers. But again, that's a once in a blue moon thing either way.

Today might be a good day for spiked shoes at the experience. They still have their place in what might be these soggy conditions.

I personally stopped using them in my 2nd year of learning Golf. I needed a way to slow my Swing down to Hold my Finish. Started wearing reg Sneakers so if I slid I knew I was Swinging too fast.
As for are they still needed... depends on individual. Some need the stability that they supply.

Picked up a pair of the first ECCO Streets way back when Freddy was rocking them and never looked back. Had many pairs of ECCOs since then, but more recently I’ve been going with Footjoy Flexes, as more of a hybrid golf/gym shoe. Plenty of traction on the course, plenty of stability while working out.

Not in my opinion. I do have a pair or two but never wear them. At my swing speed, I never experience any slipping in spikeless.

Old school power from the ground up player. Spikeless shoes suck when it's wet out.

Old school power from the ground up player. Spikeless shoes suck when it's wet out.
I don't necessarily believe it is "old school", as all I hear about these days is how power comes from the ground up. The only thing touching the ground are your golf shoes. Not everyone uses their feet the same way (just look at Scheffler), but I'll opt for spikes and traction all the time, no matter the conditions.

Yes they are, no questions asked. In the other same thread, or two or three, I opined on how I slipped in the mud retrieving my wife's ball down an embankment and sprained my ankle. I do not slip with spiked golf shoes and will never go back, never.

If Vijay can make the cut at Augusta in a pair of Hokas then I think I am fine with spikeless, too.

I am assuming the reference is to soft spikes or "spike-like" tread patterns and not metal. I slipped on a couple of drives yesterday with adverse effects, so yes necessary to mortals. It is often wet in the winter in the PNW and spikes aid in traversing the terrain at all times.

Last edited:
I don't really notice a difference between sportier each when compared to sportier spiked shoes. Not like I'm out rocking FJ Premiers anymore.

Back