Anyone else here just more comfortable playing blades vs anything else?

Floridatennisplayer

Reaction score
Handicap
I’m in my late 60s. Of course, when I was growing up all that was available we’re blades and I played this all through high school and college.

Then of course later on Ping came out and everybody thought that’s crazy but then cavity back and game improvement irons really skyrocketed.

And then when Callaway came out with the big Bertha irons, I was one of the first on board and played those until I stopped playing golf in 2003.

So after a 20 year layoff and starting playing golf again last September, I went out and bought the Srixon ZX5 ‘s. Didn’t take me long to get back in the swing of things and although I hit them well something just didn’t seem right.

And on Facebook marketplace I saw some old Wilson staff blades like I used to play for $40. I thought oh man I remember those days and how much I love those irons. Remember watching Payne Stewart play with them and do so well.

So I bought them had them re-shafted, and took them to the course. It was like I was back home again. They just seem so easy for me to swing and control versus the clunkier wider sole irons of today. I love the flight path which is much lower, and distance control. They are definitely about a club and a half shorter distance wise. But I am so much more accurate now.

I know it seems a little crazy because everyone now wants longer distance and higher ball flight, but I find a shorter penetrating flight path and distance accuracy to be the effect for me. The guy I golf with said man you are out of your mind for doing this!!!!!! Until we played Friday. My accuracy was so much better. My first round in the 70s since I started back in September.

Anyone else for some reason just prefer blades? And believe me, it’s not because I’m some kind of great ball striker either. I am also a hands and arms swinger versus what you would call a body swinger

Last edited:
IMG_4011.png

Attachments

• IMG_3990.jpeg
    IMG_3990.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 6
Considering Season 3 GIF by Portlandia

Comfortable in ways. And do generally do a few things better with them, depending on head shape.

Overall though, I just save them for the scoring irons. I have no desire to play them in the long irons. The point in the bag where I want more forgiveness is always creeping deeper. Club developments have really helped with that.

I like it!
That dang hole is still 4-1/4”. A guy getting beat by a $40 set of irons might lose a little sleep. 🤣

I liked playing blades. I still keep a set of Hogan Apex Forged around to play once in a while. For fun.

Unfortunately with blades, due to age related issues, I no longer have the swing speed needed to play the Hogans properly. I can still break 90 with them most days, but the struggle is real.

I prefer them, but my iron play has also been described as the 8th wonder of the world

You Do You Go For It GIF by Peloton

But it’s a no for me.

I like the look of them but not the performance given my tendency to mishit everything

Considering Season 3 GIF by Portlandia

Comfortable in ways. And do generally do a few things better with them, depending on head shape.

Overall though, I just save them for the scoring irons. I have no desire to play them in the long irons. The point in the bag where I want more forgiveness is always creeping deeper. Club developments have really helped with that.

I hate to admit it but my days of playing blades with like a S300 or Ctaper are long gone.

But Ctaper lite or Elevate Tours, I really like hitting the long irons still. I mean....there's days where I look at a blade 4 iron and it's like "you don't like me and I don't like you, but we both need this"

Hit a 205yd 4 iron to 10 feet today. No better feeling

Missed the putt

I’ve always played blades, tried playing a T100/Apex Pro style iron and was never as comfortable.

John Candy No GIF by Laff

Blades don't do anything for me, even in scoring irons, that something with more forgiveness doesn't.

But, I do want to own a set of Wilson Blades at some point in my life. Those are perfection!

I have a set of Wilson Staff blades and probably hit those the most accurate of any irons I have ever played. I absolutely love them and they look so beautiful in the bag and at address. The compact head doesn't bother me (actually like it more) and the thin sole also isnt an issue.

Pros
-my irons are like throwing darts, just dead straight
-still retain good spin and land angle
-distances are very consistent

Cons
-lost a lot of ball speed...dropped about 1-1/2 club carry length across the bag (PW went from 128avg to 114avg carry)

Due to the lack of ball speed my whole bag is about 1-1/2 clubs shorter then what my "normal" distance would be. I wasn't a long hitter to begin with and now its even worse. Im also not a great wood player so that adds to the issue of lack in distance with irons. I wish the distances were better, but I guess im unable to compress the ball enough to get the distance out of a blade. So I decided to get some King Tour irons, I know they are larger but hopefully I get the same playability with some increase in ball speed. I will definitely keep the Wilson Blades for a local par 3 course i like to hit for quick rounds.

Back