TxAggie2018

Reaction score
Handicap
Everyone knows that those Youtube, Golf Digest type golf tips are a great way to go in circles and never consistently improve your game. But I had one really work for me yesterday.

I'd been shanking the ball all week at the range, which is odd for me because I've never had that miss before. Started Googling anti-shank tips in frustration, and found a suggestion. Take your golf posture, and clap your hands in front of you. Then grab the club right there.

Tested it out with some foot spray and wiffle-ball swings inside, and that tip had me finding the club face again. Went out and hit another 100 ball bucket that day, cause I'm a golf degenerate, and had zero shanks.

I had been setting up with "arms under my shoulders", which was way too far inside. When I initiated the downswing and the arms started swinging more freely, they pushed out and I hit the hosel. The clapping got me to a more natural arm hang, that was repeatable on the backswing and downswing.

I figure if this helps any shankers on THP or Google cure the worst shot in golf, it was time well spent.

I’ll try this at the range tomorrow. I haven’t gone full blown shanks in the tank yet, but I’ve found the hosel more than 0 times my last few rounds

Back