Another sad story of an infant related to a tour star as JN donates large part of winnings to try to help young relative

Rummpd

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

Pediatrician and public health doctor here and have worked with kids with this terrible and similar genetic disease and am making a donation. The drug Zolgensma - approved about 2 years ago by FDA as a one time dosage is one of the most expensive around, but has shown some promise. Here is an article that tries to explain the $2.1 million cost of a single dose. https://fortune.com/2020/02/07/zolgensma-high-drug-prices/ Some babies get it free (as the company has done a lottery system working with providers) but for the rest some combination of private or public insurance company money (may not pay for this https://www.policymed.com/2019/10/how-are-insurers-treating-the-2m-drug-zolgensma.html ) or raising private funds. On the plus side this one time treatment might cure or least improve the disease substantially and is one of a breakthrough (there is another drug for condition that is given in more doses that is also expensive (but not quite as much) but might not be as effective depending on source)

Regardless, Joaquin Niemann, seems like a great young man. He has a lot of game (and for someone so thin truly bombs it) and is stepping up big time to help the baby. Meanwhile Camilo Villegas goes forward nobly after he tragic loss of his daughter to another terrible condition.

It just shows even these famous professionals can face things off the course that put this great game into perspective. Link to donate at end of article

All the more reason IMO to also and immediately join the THP Albatross Club as they donate to St Jude's - a place working to tackle some of these diseases that tragically affect young kids at no cost to families.

Last edited:
Thanks and good going young pro from Chile. A lot to raise but expect it will get going soon more. I used go fund me for the first time for a small donation and it was easy.

That's awesome he donated some winnings.

That's INSANE! That the drug costs $2.1 million per does. I get R&D isn't free, but $2.1 million?!!?:eek:

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2020/11/22/pga-tour-rsm-classic-prize-money-list/ He won only 21 thousand and gave 152 thousand. I am pulling hard for this fine young man from now on.

I agree cost seems too much and I have seen stories Congressional leaders have tried to get company to reduce but at this point they have not. It seems either you get free in a lottery or insurance variably pays and there is only a time window when can be given to the infant for most effectiveness per what I have read on it.

Is that cost only for use in the US or is it the same elsewhere in the world? I know some meds in the US are $$$ yet are $ elsewhere.

Is that cost only for use in the US or is it the same elsewhere in the world? I know some meds in the US are $$$ yet are $ elsewhere.
I don't know that but appears Chile has same or at least similar price.

Back