Alex Karras has died...RIP

Canio

RIP Mario 2006-2012
Reaction score
Handicap
Alex Karras has passed away......

[h=1]Ex-NFL star, actor Alex Karras dies[/h]Alex Karras, the former Detroit Lion defensive tackle turned actor in the ABC sitcom "Webster," died Wednesday in his Los Angeles home following a hard-fought battle with kidney disease, heart disease, dementia and stomach cancer, according to a family spokesman.
He was 77.
Karras, a Gary, Indiana native, was an All-American at the University of Iowa before becoming a four-time Pro Bowl selection in the NFL, playing for the Detroit Lions from 1958 to 1970. He went on to star in the 1980s sitcom “Webster” - he played George Papadapolis, the guardian of the newly orphaned Webster, played by actor Emmanuel Lewis - and also played the horse-punching Mongo in the 1974 movie “Blazing Saddles."
In April, he joined hundreds of ex-NFL players suing the league over concussion-related injuries, serving as lead plaintiff for what was then the 12th concussion-related complaint filed against the NFL by the Locks Law Firm in Philadelphia.
Karras “sustained repetitive traumatic impacts to his head and/or concussions on multiple occasions” during his NFL career, and “suffers from various neurological conditions and symptoms related to the multiple head traumas,” the lawsuit said.
His wife, "Webster” co-star Susan Clark, said in April that Karras suffered from dementia.
The more than 2,000 NFL players who are suing the league claim the NFL misled players concerning the risks associated with concussions. The NFL has repeatedly said that player safety is a priority and that any allegation that the NFL intentionally sought to mislead players has no merit.

RIP Alex. This lawsuit is going to be tough for the NFL

Man that stinks, we've lost some good people this year and he was definately a good one. R.I.P Alex.

RIP Alex.....that Locks law firm is the top injury law firm in Philly and one of the top injury law firms in the country too. Tough lawsuit for them and the NFL for that matter to work through unless there's a smoking gun against the NFL

RIP Alex, I had forgetton that he was actually married to Susan Clark

Mongo just a pawn in the game of life. Karras was decidedly not. RIP.

He seemed like a great guy and was a great football player. He had a great performance in Blazing Saddles. RIP Alex Karras.

RIP Alex. I was a fan in the day. Mongo was a cool horse hitting dude.

Always liked Alex, he was a beast of a football player on a almost always bad Lions team.

Here is his horse punch scene from Blazing Saddles.

Used to watch Webster all the time with my parents growing up, didn't even realize he had played football until later in life. May he rest in peace.

Back