Adding 1 inch to irons

chasd3

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
17.1 GHIN
I am a new golfer and am buying my first new set of irons. I am getting them 1 inch longer than stock. Irons are Callaway X20's. I am having it done at golf galaxy and I did go through a lie board exercise etc but since I dont fully understand the process I thought I would ask brighter people than myself what questions I should be asking. The length is not for added distance but rather proper fit. Any input would be much appreciated.​

Some additional information. Thanks for input :
As for more information, I did spend time hitting into a screen so he could see spin rate etc. Here is some information see if this makes any sense. I hit everything to the left of center always. The impact tape showed contact on the lower toe. I seldom hit fat but rather thin or skulled shots. I know my swing is a work in progress and maybe being this new to golf having clubs adjusted wont have that much of an affect but considering I am 6'2" my wrist to floor is 37" and the sypmtoms described above based on my very limited understanding I probably wont make things worse. I guess the biggest question is since I the lien angle charts have me needing a 2 degree upward adjustment and .50 in length changes this lie by 1 degree upward does it make sense that the 1 inch of length is giving me the suggested 2 degree upward adjustment so that no futher lie adjustment should be done?​

Should I have not posted in the ask the pro section? It was suggested that I post here. I am not only new to golf but new to this site. Thanks

Nobody else has posted except you and me. I followed up my post with another post. Thanks for your input

chasd3 - totally fine to ask in this forum. A couple of thoughts of mine are - with you being 6'2 and having a 37" wrist to floor measurement it would make sense that you need something around 37.5-38" long for your 6 iron. This would be fairly standard to .75" long for most companies. REMEMBER - there is no standard in clubfitting and the manufactorers standards can be different. It all depends on how well you can set up to the ball.....EG...Ernie Els is 6'4, I am 5'8 and we have the same length of clubs because he has long arms and bends over more in his posture. I would think anything over 1 inch in additional length might be too much.

For every .5" added to length the lie is affect by 1 degree and would be more upright. So, you are correct in that if you added 1 inch then your lie angle will affectively change by 2 degrees. In my experience, it would be tough to truly fit you at this point with your ability level but the goal would be to get something close to what we thought would good for you and let you go from there. If you hit your shots low and on the toe even with a longer club then its going to be a swing related issue and I would be willing to bet that it has to do with your left arm bending through impact. Get something that is close and on your budget....spend any extra money and take some lessons to get some help. It will be the best use of your money!

Hope that helps.
Patrick Nuber
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

Thanks for the input, it is all very helpful. Wondering where the measurements are taken from/to. Is it the lenght of just the shaft itself or from heel to end of grip? Although 1 inch was added they are probably only 1/2 longer than the clubs I was using. These are steel shafts the clubs I was using had graphite. As for my swing, I am 100% sure my inconsistent swing has much to do with where I hit but if there is one constant it was bottom toe. I committed to these clubs with the 1 inch lengthening. The person who worked with me said similar things when I called him yesterday AM. He said I should not overthink fit at the moment, they are as close as he can do until I am consistent with my swing. Thanks Again

Thanks for the input, it is all very helpful. Wondering where the measurements are taken from/to. Is it the lenght of just the shaft itself or from heel to end of grip? Although 1 inch was added they are probably only 1/2 longer than the clubs I was using. These are steel shafts the clubs I was using had graphite. As for my swing, I am 100% sure my inconsistent swing has much to do with where I hit but if there is one constant it was bottom toe. I committed to these clubs with the 1 inch lengthening. The person who worked with me said similar things when I called him yesterday AM. He said I should not overthink fit at the moment, they are as close as he can do until I am consistent with my swing. Thanks Again

I'll chime in here for that last question...

Typically it's measured from the end of the shaft to the heel where it soles with the ground. Depending on the grip, this measurement is approximately 1/4" shorter than the butt end. Sometimes there is a line on the grip very near the top where the shaft actually ends. the rest is just rubber. And lint from the bottom of your bag.

Trevor Broesamle, PGA
GolfTEC Santa Barbara

Back