Accuracy or Distance

sherwoodnatl

Reaction score
Handicap
General thought
Would you trade 15-25 yards of distance for 2-4 (say 3) more fairways per round?

Why can't I have both.Distance and accuracy.But short answer no..unless I was OOB when not in the fairway.

It really depends on the course, at Shirkeys I would take the fairways because the penalty for missing is often either a hero shot through the trees or punching it back into the fairway. At Adams Pointe I don't care so much about hitting the fairway because as long as you don't miss by too much you're still in the clear.

Why can't I have both.Distance and accuracy.But short answer no..unless I was OOB when not in the fairway.

If you could have both this question would never be asked. hahaha

It really depends on the course, at Shirkeys I would take the fairways because the penalty for missing is often either a hero shot through the trees or punching it back into the fairway. At Adams Pointe I don't care so much about hitting the fairway because as long as you don't miss by too much you're still in the clear.
It really does depend upon the course.This is kind of a trick question.Sacrificing 25 yards though I'd never get it past the womens tees so there's the rub.

hmmm fairway

hmmm fairway

I think more fairways are much better unless you hit the ball sideways while in the fairway. Some folks are just plain good out of the woods. It feels natural to em :D

It really does depend upon the course.This is kind of a trick question.Sacrificing 25 yards though I'd never get it past the womens tees so there's the rub.

Haha, 25 yards is a pretty stiff penalty. I guess I could do that if I hit 3 wood off the tee every time but where's the fun in that? Sometimes I'll try it if I'm having problems with the driver but if I've been hitting it pretty good then I'll go for the distance.

All good points.
I did this and went from about 55 FIR to 81 (21/26) in my last 2 rounds, which have been 74 and 77. Im using more of a controlled swing...i would suggest it if your looking for the short grass more often.
Plus it was 40 degrees so i think i should be getting some distance back. (was 260, recently 235-240)

Haha, 25 yards is a pretty stiff penalty. I guess I could do that if I hit 3 wood off the tee every time but where's the fun in that? Sometimes I'll try it if I'm having problems with the driver but if I've been hitting it pretty good then I'll go for the distance.
I couldn't cause then I'd try and bomb the 3w and would be in worse shape.

No way. I believe with enough practice I can make my driver accurate enough. Distance is limited to my swing mechanics and technology.

Give me the technology and the extra distance. I'll work my tail off to make it accurate enough!

Depends on the course. Here in the desert, the "rough" is really hardpan with very few trees or shrubs to get you in trouble. It rewards an aggressive swing on the driver. I will, however, sacrifice 10-15 yards on my irons to hit more greens, but that's defeating the purpose of the question... :banana:

I'd prefer accuracy over distance any day. But unfortunately, I have been having problems with both of these lately :(

But it sure would be nice to one day have them both, haa haa haa... :laughing: Who am I kidding :D

I'd prefer accuracy over distance any day. But unfortunately, I have been having problems with both of these lately :(

But it sure would be nice to one day have them both, haa haa haa... :laughing: Who am I kidding :D
You'll have a day when they both appear.Just to have them disappear the next time.It's golf.

I may be way off here - but I'll take 2-3 more fairways around and leave 25y on the table. That said I hit the ball far (280+ easy) so I have no trouble hitting any par 4 in 2, and most par 5's (in 2) even with 25 less yards. However I do agree that it depends on the course, on a long links style course I would say no way, but on 90% of the courses I play, yes I'll take the accuracy.

In general, yes. But as alluded to already it would depend on the course

As already stated it depends on the course layout. I normally play on a tight, target course, so I use my 3W much more often than I do my driver. With houses on one side on 18 holes, and water on the other side on 14 holes, (18 today...flooding) accuracy is paramount. Now here's the bugaboo for me. Since I don't use my driver as much as my 3W, my confidence level between the two clubs is pretty spacious. I often find my self pulling my 3W out, when my driver is the better choice, only because I am more comfortable with the 3W.

Now when I am hitting my driver well, I am getting both distance, and accuracy. This phenomena relates to better scores. :clapp:

Back