5ft-10ft putting drills

GrantD

Formerly Known as DMB012
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been really struggling with my 5-10ft putts lately. I know there is the Around the world drill, but I need some others till help break up the boredom of putting green drills.

What's your miss, Grant?

Buck talked about a pretty good one in the Seemore thread using a dime, nickel, and quarter. He'll explain it better than me.

What's your miss, Grant?

Buck talked about a pretty good one in the Seemore thread using a dime, nickel, and quarter. He'll explain it better than me.

I seem to be rimming the cup on the low side of the break. I think I am just not committing to the putt and giving it the speed it needs to hold the line.

Ladder Drill. Start with straight putts with balls in a line 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 feet from the hole. Make them all before you move to another line. Make three lines before you quit.

Grant, take a 5' putt and make a few strokes to find the line. Once you have found that line, put two tees on either side of the line. Start out with a 3" gap and get smaller as you get more confident. The tees should be place no more than 2' from your origination spot of the put.
The object it to hit the ball through the tees. If you hit the tees or a tee you are off line. This is great for lines and speed.

Ladder Drill. Start with straight putts with balls in a line 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 feet from the hole. Make them all before you move to another line. Make three lines before you quit.

Do you just do this on flat putts or go for breaking too?

Grant, take a 5' putt and make a few strokes to find the line. Once you have found that line, put two tees on either side of the line. Start out with a 3" gap and get smaller as you get more confident. The tees should be place no more than 2' from your origination spot of the put.
The object it to hit the ball through the tees. If you hit the tees or a tee you are off line. This is great for lines and speed.

I like this idea.

I am going to work on both of these today at the putting green.

Do you just do this on flat putts or go for breaking too?

I like this idea.

I am going to work on both of these today at the putting green.

You can do it with breaking putts but I find it pretty challenging with straight ones. Maybe if I make lots of straight ones I will work on the breakers.

I think of all putts as straight a as far as starting on line. I am going to try the "tee drill" tomorrow.

Does anybody else have any games or drills to help out?

This isn't really a 5-10 foot drill but my standard LR putting practice is to lay my two alignment sticks about a cup's width apart on the carpet and just keep rolling the ball down the center.

If it gets too easy, just move the sticks closer together... My kids like to play along - I move the sticks apart for them. :)

This seems overly simplistic but it has really helped my ability to hit those under-pressure four-footers on the course because all I have to do is imagine the sticks on the rug.

Cheers,

Ken

Great drills, guys.

Wow these are great Pete. Thanks,

The guy who developed them works with Peter Hanson (amongst many others). The VISA test combined with speed zones is great. I wondered why I was so good within 8 feet but made nothing outside...well, on longer putts I tended to pull them.

Back