50g Weighted shaft for 3 wood

Andy t

Reaction score
Just bought a RBZ 3 wood stiff shaft 50g off ebay. I already have one but its a 60g weight. I play ok golf at 4 handicap and love the RBZ it goes like the rocket shaft it says lol. So bought this as a spare just in case and its better nick than mine. Any thoughts on what difference the 50 g shaft might make??

I like light shafts in my irons but a heavier shaft allows me to make a really short 42 inch driver with no extra weights.
A lighter shaft can be longer if that helps your swing speed. I prefer the accuracy I get with shorter shafts.

For me, it is accuracy first, then distance.
I've seen well regarded teachers suggest distance and then accuracy. That didn't work for me.
Everyone loses balls where I play. Some lose a lot of balls.
I remember a little old lady who had an off day and asked me if I found any of her balls that day!

Interesting I'll give it a go the range today see how it goes

Just see how it goes. What weight is your driver?
For the last couple of years I was swinging a 70g driver and an 80g in my 3W and 5W, but found I really had to swing aggressively to load the 80g and my body wasn't a fan of that! Last summer I was fitted back into my old weight class, 62g driver and so I went down to 70g in my woods and had good results. I've always seemed to be driver 10g less than woods.

On a related note...my worst driving of my life happened about 5 years ago when I decided to go shorter shaft on the driver and up in weight. With the shorter shaft I guess I was way longer in my backswing than usual and was overswinging. Point is, everyone is different, find what works and stick to it

On a related note...my worst driving of my life happened about 5 years ago when I decided to go shorter shaft on the driver and up in weight. With the shorter shaft I guess I was way longer in my backswing than usual and was overswinging. Point is, everyone is different, find what works and stick to it
I'm the opposite. A very long backswing works for me in swinging driver. Yes, I'm old and slow.
But, I'm short and constantly need to stretch to reach stuff. I garden all day long. I'm constantly climbing over 2ft rabbit fences. I have a ton of flexibility.
A short heavy shaft and a long backswing works really well for me for both speed and dispersion.
A long backswing gives me plenty of time for sequencing and tempo. No need to rush anything.
Martini tees work better with foam balls as the wind won't knock the balls of the tee. Better swings when I'm not in a rush.

Well I have tried out the 50g shaft on the range and it seem to work really well as per my current RBZ 3 wood I have which is 60g. My driver is 65g.

Back