pykim01

Reaction score
Handicap
I still can't get comfortable hitting my fairway woods. I strike my 3 iron well and figured a 2 DI couldnt be much harder. Thoughts on picking up something like a titleist TMB or MP H5 2 iron and put my 3 wood away for good? has anyone had any success with this?

Have you thought about trying to lower lofted hybrid? I see you're a low capper, but they'd likely be easier to hit than a 2 iron.

I went through the same struggle but with the 5 wood. I tried a couple 3 irons and 19° hybrids. I hit both well but my side spin and dispersion was better with the hybrid.

I would definitely suggest hitting a hybrid in a 16° as well.

While I've messed around with a UT replacing my 18* hybrid, I'm not sure I'd ever go to the 2 iron. Just too much distance loss at stake.

Like others have said, the distance loss is substantial. I have always preferred driving irons and tend to have better dispersion with them, but hybrid of equivalent loft is about 15yards longer on centre strikes.

I'd say continue the search for a 3W you can hit it accurately. I mean you've got a very demanding fairway currently in play, I'm sure an M2 or XR would be far easier to hit off the tee. Try them out?

I want nothing to do with a 2i to replace the 3w. Whatever reasons you have that makes not able to hit a 3w will be there with a 2i.

I replaced my 5w with a 18° driving iron. They're definitely more forgiving than a real life 2i, so if it works, do what you want.

Neither have a place in my bag. I'm so inconsistent with a 3 wood I sold mine. I carry my 5 wood at 17 degrees. Maybe a HL 3 wood/4 wood could be the answer. As far as DI, it would be easier to use from higher grass.

If a 2i works for you and gives you what you want then go for it. I would consider a high launch 3w as an option though. Will be easier to launch and is something that can be played off the tee and deck

I currently don't have a fairway wood in my bag. I have a 1 and a 2 iron. I have two hybrids, only because I haven't found their equivalent iron to replacement them. I can't seem to hit them right. I haven't noticed any issue with having the iron as opposed to the fairway wood. Yes, the iron isn't as forgiving as a hybrid or wood, but if you can't hit them well anyways, then it doesn't matter. I have always been able to hit my irons very well. There is a loss of distance but there aren't many holes where I can't get close to the green in 2 on a par 5 anyways. Maybe on tight par 5s, you might be lacking if you are a risk/reward type player but I don't have of those holes on the courses I play on. Honestly, I haven't been disappointed in taking them out of the bag but I seem to hit them both reasonably well.
The only thing I have noticed with the higher (1,2) irons, is that I have to strike them "faster". That might be my own personal cue, but I noticed you can't put a lazy swing on the club. Obviously, ball striking is a factor. Making sure you hit it square is as well, as the trajectory that the ball comes off will make you curse the club if it's way off your target. But honestly, I have never jumped up and down in laughter more than when I hit my 1 iron right on the money and where it should be going.
Bottom line, it's a tool in your toolbox. If you can use them, put them in. If it causes you some problems, try something else out. Don't fret if what you do differs from other people. The game is about fun and if playing with the irons, makes you happy, go for it. Give them a try and see if you play well with them. Good luck.

I'm a big fan of driving irons. I have a Titleist 2 iron/driving iron in my bag and is been there for most of the last 9 years. I have been unable to find a hydrid that is as straight as this old Titleist. The problem with replacing your 3 wood with a driving iron would be a big loss of distance because a 3 wood shaft is going to be 2-3 inches longer than any driving iron. I would search for a more forgiving 3 or 4 wood first, there has to be one out there thats easier than your current one.

On the other hand, if you're a bomber you might find a 18* DI that you hit far enough. I hit my 19* about 220 off the tee and I'm not a long hitter. We have a couple long hitters at my club that hit their #2 driving irons 245ish off the tee.

Last edited:
You're going to have to hit one of them consistently no matter what and a 2 iron is very demanding. You know that because of your low handicap but I'd be working on the 3 wood, once you get it down it's mighty handy

I've always seen the 2i as a replacement for a 5w. I think with today's options of driving irons, you will get better distance and forgiveness with the 2 driving iron.

I've traded my 3 wood for a 3 hybrid. I've had much better success and more consistent with it. The 3W is in the garage.

The Ping crossover is super easy to hit and long...it just looks a little different

Back