2018 US Amateur Thread

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
The biggest amateur event of the year is going on right now at Pebble Beach. It's a nice little preview of the setup for next year's US Open. Coverage is on FS1 right now, will move to FOX for the weekend.

Conditions are perfect for scoring right now, very little wind and sunny skies. The greens are very firm though, area hasn't received any rain since April!

Link to live scoring: http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2018/u-s--amateur.html#!scoring

Thanks for the heads up! Now I have something to watch this weekend!
The biggest amateur event of the year is going on right now at Pebble Beach. It's a nice little preview of the setup for next year's US Open. Coverage is on FS1 right now, will move to FOX for the weekend.

Conditions are perfect for scoring right now, very little wind and sunny skies. The greens are very firm though, area hasn't received any rain since April!

Link to live scoring: http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2018/u-s--amateur.html#!scoring

Posted on Tapatalk via my Motorola RAZR

The #1 ranked amateur in the world, Braden Thornberry, just got knocked out of the tournament.

Thanks, this is always fun to watch.

I actually considered trying to qualify for the US Am this year JUST because it was at pebble beach. (My game isn’t quite there yet though) but I’ll watch for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cole Hammer out here trying to find a way into Nate's heart by wearing all of the Texas gear. With the way he's playing this summer, he has to be the favorite in this event. Crazy for a kid that will be a freshman at UT this fall.

How come the young guys are using long putters, looks like he is anchoring. Why not learn to putt with a short putter. I Have never tried a long putter so don't know how it would be.

This is the first tourney I’ve watched at Pebble since I got to play it earlier this summer. Totally different deal watching it on TV after playing there. The cameras really don’t do the elevation changes justice.

Surprised this thread hasn't gotten more love. This Hovland Hammer matchup is amazing as those two guys will be stars on tour someday. This is my 3rd favorite tourney of he year next after USOpen & Masters. My nephew goes to school with Lane kid (Gavin or devin) From Argyle, Tx who is 14 and youngest competitor this year to make it through

Hovland made 5 straight birdies in his round and beat Hammer. He plays Bling in the final and both guys will be in the Masters next year.

Man, this US Am has been upset city all week

Hovland made 5 straight birdies in his round and beat Hammer. He plays Bling in the final and both guys will be in the Masters next year.
He's such a stud.

And man, OSU returning all those guys including him? Look out next year.

He's such a stud.

And man, OSU returning all those guys including him? Look out next year.

Crazy part is that Wolff didn't even play this event. I have no idea why he wasn't in the field.

Hovland's driver swing is...unique to say the least. But it works for him.

How come the young guys are using long putters, looks like he is anchoring. Why not learn to putt with a short putter. I Have never tried a long putter so don't know how it would be.

Different strokes for different folks. Teenagers today are seeing long putters in Pro golf, trying it and some are using it. If the USGA thought someone is anchoring, they'd be on it like stink on poo....... or maybe not?

These boys can play !

As an Englishman I was sad to see Alex Fitzpatrick go out, would have loved to see him emulate Matt.

As for the long putters, could the R&A + USPGA make the issue any more confusing ? Just make the putter the shortest club in the bag........if people want to use a 50” wedge let’s watch them !

I am hoping for a nail biter, be fun to see them go back and forth. I'm going to be paying close attention to how each of them responds after a mishit or when that gimme range starts to get shorter and shorter.

Crazy part is that Wolff didn't even play this event. I have no idea why he wasn't in the field.

Wolff withdrew from the Western Amateur recently due to injury. Not sure what the injury was, but assuming it's the same reason.

Wolff withdrew from the Western Amateur recently due to injury. Not sure what the injury was, but assuming it's the same reason.
Probably that crazy ass swing. Haha

It's not a matter of "learning to putt with a traditional length putter". He knows how to do that. But in a high pressure must make putt situation, the long putter helps overcome nervous twitches.

Hovi is up 3 through 9.

4 up through 10. He's only lost 6 holes in his last 4 matches. Dude is on fire.

4 up through 10. He's only lost 6 holes in his last 4 matches. Dude is on fire.
He's the definition of on fire, good grief.

He's been playing great all week. This has the making of a 9&8 if they both keep this up. Maybe higher...

Goodness, Viktor was lucky to get off 18 with halving the hole. Crazy to think that was his first time on 18 this week in match play.

Four up, half way through.

Last edited:
Goodness, Viktor was lucky to get off 18 with halving the hole. Crazy to think that was his first time on 18 this week in match play.

Four up, half way through.

That bounce off the rocks from his drive might have saved him. Gave him maybe 50 yards less for his third shot.

Back