1st PGA event ever attended - US Open next week - need advice

skywaterbanjo

Reaction score
Handicap
I have been into golf for about 15 years but have never attended a professional golf tournament. So, breaking it in right, my wife and I are traveling to Monterey to attend the US Open next week.

For you seasoned tournament attendees, especially those who have been to PB, what nuggets of wisdom can you provide a newbie?

We are with some folks who have been to the Open at PB before but they are not golfers. I want to learn from the pros!

We are attending the tournament Tuesday, Friday and Saturday. Fri/Sat we have Trophy Club tickets.

Thanks in advance.

I have been into golf for about 15 years but have never attended a professional golf tournament. So, breaking it in right, my wife and I are traveling to Monterey to attend the US Open next week.

For you seasoned tournament attendees, especially those who have been to PB, what nuggets of wisdom can you provide a newbie?

We are with some folks who have been to the Open at PB before but they are not golfers. I want to learn from the pros!

We are attending the tournament Tuesday, Friday and Saturday. Fri/Sat we have Trophy Club tickets.

Thanks in advance.

In the past I've been to a couple of US Open's at Pebble, and about ten Crosby/AT&T tournaments. My favorite viewing spot is at the intersection of the 3rd green, 4th tee, and 17th tee box. From that one location you can see groups playing all 3 holes.

Please do not yell anything. As a favor to me.

Forget the phone at least 90% of the time you are there and watch and enjoy the tournament with your eyes.

In the past I've been to a couple of US Open's at Pebble, and about ten Crosby/AT&T tournaments. My favorite viewing spot is at the intersection of the 3rd green, 4th tee, and 17th tee box. From that one location you can see groups playing all 3 holes.

Thanks!

I have played Pebble approx 20 times. Top things to do (if they are available during the tournament):

1. Go into main building of the lodge and look out thru window at the 18th and cove in the main sitting room.
2. Go to 8th green and look back at cliff.
3. Go to 10th green and marvel at the house just beyond the green right on the cove (used to be owned by Gene Hackman).
4. Go to 14th green and look at the slope difference between the low point of the green and the high point. Marvel at the fact that that is a straight putt.
5. Drive 17 Mile Drive around the coast until you get to Cypress Point Golf Club. Just as you pass the high hedges.....the 1st tee box is up above to the left. Drive a little further until the road makes a hard turn right. Look back through the trees to catch a glimpse of the 15th par 3. My favorite hole in the world. (I have played the course twice).
6. Keep driving and soak in the Monterey Country Club (Shores Course) part of the AT&T rotation. (played it once)
7. Drive further to the Inn at Spanish Bay and have a drink at the fire pits outside the lobby (the most relaxing place on the peninsula).
8. Make reservations to have dinner in Carmel at Casanova (my favorite restaurant in the whole world).

I was at the US open at PB in ‘92. A heck of a place to watch a tournament. I spent the morning walking the course following Payne Stewart. The afternoon I parked it between 9 and 14 tee boxes. And could see the 8 and 13 greens, when not super thick with fans. Lot of good places to watch.
Was amazed with how smooth the fairways were and the absurd depth of the rough. Such a beautiful place. Walking out from the shops to the 18th green seeing that picture you’ve seen on tv hundreds of times is something else.
Be prepared. There’s so much to take in. Have a ball!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well played pebble beach once and attended my first PGA event last week.

Pebble is beautiful. Even though my wife does not golf she loved it. Drive the 18 mile. It’s beautiful. We had drinks at the bar in front of the 18th green after my round and was awesome. That night for dinner we did the Clint Eastwood restaurant Mission Ranch Restaurant. Great food and amazing view at sunset.

As far as watching a PGA event. I followed the people I wanted to watch. Got me around the course and not just stuck in one spot. Enjoy it and don’t worry about photos. I took a photo of Mickelson in the rough flopping out with 20-25 iPhones around him getting the shot. And actually although is was fun to watch these guys on the course I really enjoyed more watching their swings on the range. Seeing how they warmup and really could see their swing. They all were much more casual as well.

Enjoy the event.

I’m going On the Saturday. I popped down last week to visit the merchandise tent that they opened early. As I posted on FB, every US Open should be at Pebble Beach!!!!!
ee65bfe86e845fad22c79fc1dfc94fed.jpg

9929fb007ca24af054570d1fe6055a54.jpg

My only advice is give the Tiger group a miss if you actually want to see any golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please do not yell anything. As a favor to me.

haha......don't be the "GET IN THE HOLE" guy.
Although honestly sometimes its funny. I mean Ive heard them even on approach shots before the club is even done with the swing.

I haven't been to Pebble for a tournament, but I have been to the area and seen the course and I have been to the PGA Championship 3 times so this is general tournament and Monterrey Peninsula advice. I would walk the entire course on Tuesday and see everything there is to see. It's an amazing and beautiful place so take it all in. I would also take care of all the souvenirs on the way out that day because the good stuff gets picked over by the end of the week. Weather wise out there it is generally cool and foggy in the morning and the sun melts the fog off sometime between lunch and dinner. From there it will feel really nice when you catch the sun on your face. Seems like based on the weather I saw for this week pants, shirt, pullover, and cap would be comfortable attire. Take your shades no matter how cloudy it looks in the morning because once the fog burns off the sun is bright. Most importantly have fun, it's going to be an amazing week.

Agree with the “don’t follow Tiger” advice, that is madness. However, do find a relatively empty tee box 6 or 7 groups ahead of Tiger and grab a spot on the ropes. Watch those groups go through, and feel the anticipation build. The crowd will fill in around you, so hold your ground, LOL. When Tiger arrives, the atmosphere is electric and you’ll have a front row seat. Enjoy.

What we typically do at the Memorial is either go out early and walk the front 9 with a group and then find a spot on the back 9 to camp or find a spot on one of the early holes and watch all the groups come through before following the leaders. I like to follow my favorites so it just depends on where they are on the leader board as to which strategy we go with.

Back