18 Birdies on Android Watches

Just_Hacking

"I miss, I miss, I miss, I make"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
16.6I
Last weekend 18 Birdies rolled out functionality for Android watches. I tried it a couple of times and while it looks like it is going to be pretty good I never once got yardages to display anything other than 1K for each hole. GPS was turned on the watch and the phone and the watch had the right sequence of holes so I know I was on the right course. I wanted to see if anyone else had tried the watch app yet and if they had success with getting correct distances. I am still waiting to hear back from 18 Birdies on the issue.

Sorry, I do not have experience with 18 Birdies, but I use my Samsung watch with the Golf Pad GPS app. I feel like the distances have always been pretty good, but I'm going to keep testing that further. The settings allow for "Plays Like" distances which is essentially the "slope" setting on a rangefinder, but there are options for adjusting for both elevation and/or wind. It does actually adjust for wind, but I'm going to test it after disabling the wind adjustments to see how accurate it is (and I'll do my own adjustments for wind). My plan is to fully trust the distances (to the middle of the green) I get and see how accurate it is. Sometimes, I find myself comparing to others who use a rangefinder, and there are some differences sometimes, although they are using the flag and my distances are to center (as well as front and back) of the green, so there would be some differences. I just don't want to consistently end up noticeably short or long.

Sorry, I do not have experience with 18 Birdies, but I use my Samsung watch with the Golf Pad GPS app. I feel like the distances have always been pretty good, but I'm going to keep testing that further. The settings allow for "Plays Like" distances which is essentially the "slope" setting on a rangefinder, but there are options for adjusting for both elevation and/or wind. It does actually adjust for wind, but I'm going to test it after disabling the wind adjustments to see how accurate it is (and I'll do my own adjustments for wind). My plan is to fully trust the distances (to the middle of the green) I get and see how accurate it is. Sometimes, I find myself comparing to others who use a rangefinder, and there are some differences sometimes, although they are using the flag and my distances are to center (as well as front and back) of the green, so there would be some differences. I just don't want to consistently end up noticeably short or long.

I have the same setup. I'm not good with yardage just yet but when I showed a distance on my watch to my instructor once he said it was accurate.

I would have checked it out today if I'd seen the thread. I use the TheGrint watch app, but I have used 18birdies a little so I'm curious to see what it's like.

Back