10 yards longer today

BIRDOG

Reaction score
Handicap
I went out for 9 holes today and noticed I was carrying about 10-12 yards longer on iron shots, is this because the turf is like rock because of the cold and this makes the ball compress more? why is it, I didn't feel like I was hitting it better than any other day.

Usually the cold will make your shots shorter actually. Could be that the ground is rock hard and rolling a ton more. I know at my course this time of the year I have to hit about 8 yards short of the green cause it rolls so much.

I agree with the more roll out. Last time I played I was hitting drives just over 300 yds and my normal longest is about 275-280 on my best days.

I wouldn't take much from what happens playing in the winter. Weird things happen.

Yeah I understand that the cold makes the ball go shorter but what I mean is that the actual carry was longer, maybe the hard ground was not letting my club get stuck and was more fluid on follow thru, I played again today and shot my lowest round ever, turf was wet from the warm weather today softening the ground, distance was back to normal.

I realized today that I have played for 14 straight months since picking up golf,,, yeah I think I'm a golf junkie.

It may mean your normal shot is slightly fat. I did this for years and thought my clubs just didn't have the distance. Now i hit the ball first and it goes a lot further with less effort. But my miss is thining it.

Do you think you hit it further off of mats? mats somewhat eliminate a fat shot.

It may mean your normal shot is slightly fat. I did this for years and thought my clubs just didn't have the distance. Now i hit the ball first and it goes a lot further with less effort. But my miss is thining it.

Do you think you hit it further off of mats? mats somewhat eliminate a fat shot.
I'm with you, My problem is I am too steep on my backswing consequently pinching the ball off the turf and when the ground is firm, I hit nice crisp shots, when the ground is soft, I play the ball forward more with my short irons,open up my stance and try to sweep the ball works for me, but this winter I am working on a more shallow swing that will work ALL the time.

Wait, you're playing golf in northern IL? Don't you have snow? There hasn't been much here in the Milwaukee area, but no one has played for a month.

Kevin

no snow here in central IL and the temps have been mild enough to get out at times.

Wait, you're playing golf in northern IL? Don't you have snow? There hasn't been much here in the Milwaukee area, but no one has played for a month.

Kevin

Snow is gone, yesterday it was sunny and warm enough, my group has played almost every week except last.

My shot does dig some,I do this to ensure I don't miss thin which is the one miss I do not like, when I remember to take a divot just past the ball I do strike the ball a lot better, and yeah those dang mats don't really do anything for me, I will put a metal plate before the ball next time at the range to ensure I am hitting ball first.

Back