0.25 inches...material difference or not?

KingSinghUNLTD

Reaction score
Handicap
Got my irons reshafted and asked for the 7 iron to be 38 inches WITHOUT the grip based on my fitting. I got the irons back yesterday and the 7 iron is 38 inches WITH the grip. This makes them about 0.25 inches shorter than what I was fitted for. Is this a big enough to make a difference? The shop said I was splitting hairs but they would correct the mistake if I wanted. On the one hand I did spend $300 on the reshafting so want what I ordered. But on the other hand I don't want to be "one of those customers". Want to hear what experienced members of the forum think is the appropriate thing to do.

I dont think it is. Could be as simple as how someone measured. You would have to grip your clubs in the exact same spot down to a couple of mm for it to be noticeable in my opinion.

Thanks JB. Makes sense and that was my initial thought too. Then I slept on it and started thinking that I spent $300 and should be entitled to get exactly what I ordered but that is an entirely different discussion.

1/4" might possibly be noticeable. 1/8" is more of a grip-cap +/- depending on brand or how you measure, or if the grip cap is flat or rounded etc. I'm usually lenient if things are in the 1/8" range. 1/4" is probably enough of a difference that i myself would correct it, that's a normal length variation when you're into the wedges.

If they're willing to fix it, i would say get it done as the work was really not performed to what you paid/asked for. The only thing is if they're going to fix it via an extension or via a whole new shaft. an extension isn't a huge deal, but that might irk you more than dealing with it being 1/4" short, having that tiny bit of weight back under the grip.

Got my irons reshafted and asked for the 7 iron to be 38 inches WITHOUT the grip based on my fitting. I got the irons back yesterday and the 7 iron is 38 inches WITH the grip. This makes them about 0.25 inches shorter than what I was fitted for. Is this a big enough to make a difference? The shop said I was splitting hairs but they would correct the mistake if I wanted. On the one hand I did spend $300 on the reshafting so want what I ordered. But on the other hand I don't want to be "one of those customers". Want to hear what experienced members of the forum think is the appropriate thing to do.
Did they measure your original 7 iron for comparison? Is it 38"?

The reason I ask, as discussed in an other thread, is that, as ridiculous as it sounds, everyone measures club length differently. On our tour trailer we have a chart showing the conversion from one OEM to another for the same club.

1/4" is alot but probably with in the variance we see on different club rulers plus cutting variance.

My advice to everyone getting reshafts or new clubs is to provide an old club as a reference as possible. "Please use this 7 iron for reference" or "I'd like the 7 iron 1/4" shorter than this 7 iron".

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Since it was a reshaft, the shop had my irons. So no, I didn't have anything to give as a comparison. Also, I'm not sure how the brand of irons would matter if I wanted the irons based off 38" 7 iron before the grip. Original irons were deemed to be short which was one reason for the reshafting. I specifically told them to measure the length prior to putting on the grips. This was clearly noted on the order sheet, I saw to it.

DB TT - I can understand differences in club rulers which is why I asked the shop to measure them right there in front of me. The top of the grip, which is slightly rounded, was right at 38"

pingman222 - your point about 0.25" being the difference between wedges is very valid and well taken

I'm thinking that I'll ask them to take off the 7 iron grip, measure the length without the grip and if the difference is 0.25" then ask them to redo it job since I'm not going to use extensions.

I'm thinking that I'll ask them to take off the 7 iron grip, measure the length without the grip and if the difference is 0.25" then ask them to redo it job since I'm not going to use extensions.

if it's on the work order that it should have been 38" WITHOUT a grip, then i don't see why it would be so hard for them to do exactly that. That negates any variation in who measures and with what method, it should have been done as per the spec sheet.

I would go in and just be polite about it and show them the work order and see if they can re-verify the length, and if its not up to snuff then they should be willing to fix it.

Since it was a reshaft, the shop had my irons. So no, I didn't have anything to give as a comparison. Also, I'm not sure how the brand of irons would matter if I wanted the irons based off 38" 7 iron before the grip. Original irons were deemed to be short which was one reason for the reshafting. I specifically told them to measure the length prior to putting on the grips. This was clearly noted on the order sheet, I saw to it.

DB TT - I can understand differences in club rulers which is why I asked the shop to measure them right there in front of me. The top of the grip, which is slightly rounded, was right at 38"

pingman222 - your point about 0.25" being the difference between wedges is very valid and well taken
Gotcha, wasn't sure if you dropped off irons and told them 38" uncut which could be 37.75 the way the measure as opposed to how you or your fitter measured them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Paying 300 clams for a re-shaft is all the justification you require to insist that the job be done properly. A quarter inch isn't much but that isn't the point.

If you don't get it corrected, it will preoccupy your mind...

I have always cut shafts 1/4 inch short for the grip. That is how I was taught. A 38 inch club to me should be at 37.75 before adding the grip. I've been to 2 club building classes over the years and this is what I was taught.

HoosierGolfer - I totally understand your point, if I said length of 7 iron should be 38" then I would expect it to be with the grip. However, I specified the length without the grip and made sure it was noted on the order sheet. So why wouldn't the club builder follow what is on the order sheet. Your point is well noted and I will keep it in mind in the future.

Exactly what I'm worried about. The game is hard enough without unnecessary thoughts preoccupying you and giving one yet another excuse for the thinned shot!

I don't think 1/4 inch will matter in terms of club and swing physics. However, the matter may mean a lot to you mentally when you can't forget they're 1/4 inch short. However, you might want to ask how they're going to make these shafts 1/4 inch longer. My guess is they'll remove the grip, add 1/4 inch of shaft and epoxy it to the butt end of your existing shaft, then put back the grip. Problem solved.

The question is, is that okay with you or are you expecting all the shafts to be changed with longer ones?

Side story- I changed all my iron shafts to steel fiber but I did it in installments because the shafts were expensive. One day while we were changing one of them, they ran out of 60 gram stiff Flex so I allowed them to install regular Flex instead in one of the irons. I never bothered to remember which iron that was, and to this day I don't know which one. It never bothered my game, either. :)

A 1/4 inch is important, otherwise, the fitter wouldn't have ordered my Steelheads with a -1/4 inch from standard shaft length.

I just don't see it making much difference. I would expect you have to be a very seasoned, low to scratch golfer with a really dialed in swing to understand the effect and be effected. If you're a higher handicap golfer, you likely have other challenges to concern yourself on. I also think your club lie is more of a fitting concern at this stage. Every club varies in length anyway, you adjust to the various clubs with every shot, you will adjust to the 1/4" across the board I suspect quite easily.

My own anecdotal experience: Recently broke the shaft on my 8 iron. brought it in, had it replaced. It's about a 1/4" shorter then before (noticed when I brought it home and compared between my 9 and 7 irons). FWIW, I hit it exactly the same as before, same distance, same launch...etc etc. So that's why I say it matters little.

Played a few rounds this past weekend. Can't say for sure if there is a difference or not - may be it is all in my head now, like most of golf. Will get a dynamic length fitting soon to figure it out.

Back