Search results for query: *

1. TxAggie2018

Are there any signs?

Is it cheating to count warmup buckets? Some days, I will just hit a dozen balls out of my basket, know I've "got the swing" that day, and leave the rest as freebies for someone else.
  2. TxAggie2018

High swing speed but no spin ball

The Chrome Softs are really low spinners. It might also be worth just grabbing a Noodle or Supersoft out of the woods and trying that for a round. The 2 piece cheapie balls are almost all engineered to be very low-spin, so one of those could give you a quick check if a low-spin ball would...
  3. TxAggie2018

Hit Instict any solutions

Couple other tips I found doing that line-in-the-bunker low point exercise.... Choking down on clubs really helps. I choke down 2 inches if not more on all my clubs. And pre-setting weight on my left foot at setup helps me get back there on the downswing. Try a before-and-after with those on...
  4. TxAggie2018

Hey Folks, Tell Me About Spin...

Pulling the ball back is the max-spin scenario. You need to have everything line up to make that happen. -Wedge or short iron -High-spin premium ball -Clean grooves -Soft green -Lots of ball speed
  5. TxAggie2018

Hit Instict any solutions

I try to hit 2 inches in front of the ball. When I was on "funemployment" from October to December last year, I pretty much rebuilt my swing by just hitting about 100 chip shots a day for 2 months. I just kept at it until I started making consistent solid contact. Eventually, I found the best...
  6. TxAggie2018

When was your last shank?

About 6 months ago. Some foot powder spray showed me that I tend to hit the ball on the toe side of my irons. So I tried cheating the ball inside towards the hosel at address. I caught a couple shots pure, but then the shanks snuck in, and they made it 100% not worthwhile.
  7. TxAggie2018

Not adjusted to hybrid life.

I will echo what others have said... you hit a hybrid the same way you'd hit a 7 iron. They are pretty long and pretty upright vs the equivalent iron, and that might be throwing you off. Try taking a couple half-swings on grass to find where the low point is.
  8. TxAggie2018

Back Issues and Golf

It's kind of back pain, but golf irritates my piriformis. It's a muscle that connects your spine to your hip, and you feel it sort of between the base of your spine and your butt cheek. Inflaming it can pinch the sciatic nerve, and that's where things get fun. I can't load weight on the leg with...
  9. TxAggie2018

How Strong Is Your Grip?

Pretty weak... the Vs on my hands point towards my right eye. My miss on everything is a block right, but strengthening my grip leads to a steady stream of snap-lefts.
  10. TxAggie2018

The Mini Driver

As a mini driver evangelist, I genuinely think a lot of casual players would genuinely be happier with some flavor of short, high-lofted driver. The problem is that distance is what sells woods.
  11. TxAggie2018

How consistent are your golf balls?

How much inaccuracy does a bad golf ball really contribute? Maybe an extra 1-2 yards on a low-spin flier? If I have a 20 yard x 20 yard green in front of me, and I'm going at it with a 7 iron, I've got at least a coin flip chance of missing that sucker entirely.
  12. TxAggie2018

Which Ball Would You Play?

Ball #1 easy. It's almost a half-club longer and has a better dispersion.
  13. TxAggie2018

Wedge shaft question

My PW and GW are very light graphite (~60gr, off my head), and SW and LW are steel. I like the extra weight in the higher lofted clubs, helps with touch. The SW gets full-swing once or twice per round, and I don't mind the extra weight there. Never bothered me enough to consider switching. The...
  14. TxAggie2018

Really random: which pocket?

I don't play with a glove. And I'm really weird, because if I do play with a glove (cold weather, a cut on my hand, something like that), I play with 2 gloves. Having one hand covered and one bare feels weird. So I just run around the course looking like Mickey Mouse for 4 hours.
  15. TxAggie2018

Where is your game?

I'm feeling good about it! I started keeping a handicap in January, just so I could put something quantitative behind my game. I'm at a 23 right now, but 3 of my last 5 rounds had diffs of 21. Things are trending in the right direction. Driving has been great... my 13* mini driver is a legit...
  16. TxAggie2018

What are the Muni's in your area charging these days?

San Diego munis are $90-$100 for a good course and $60 to play a goat track. It's a desert with $600k condos. I don't know how the courses even manage to stay open.
  17. TxAggie2018

Do You Trust Sponsored Reviewers?

I don't even watch those review videos. For one, golf is a lot more about the Indian than the arrow. I've done a little club ho'ing, and all it really did was convince me to not club ho, because the differences weren't that great. Your swing is 90% of the formula. For another, the quantitative...
  18. TxAggie2018

Is driving or putting harder? The math...

Yep. I've heard it put before as "the world's best putter may not be playing on the PGA Tour. But the world's best ballstriker definitely is."
  19. TxAggie2018

Game improvement equipment ?

Looking them up, the anti-chunk wedge is just a new spin on the old Alien wedge. In short, the design works. Alien sold a billion of them on 90s infomercials, and Cleveland and Callaway use very similar designs for their own SGI wedges. I bag one of the Cleveland ones... it's fun. The...
Back