Search results for query: *

1. Birdman03

Ball Speed or Clubhead Speed?

I may be over simplifying, but the frequent recommendation I see for low swing speed seniors to use lightweight clubs may have a downside. Yes, swing speed will likely be higher with the lighter clubs. However, ball speed, spin, and trajectories may be less favorable. The reason is that...
  2. Birdman03

Shallowing Move?

I have noted that if I just rotate back to the top and down through the ball the club will stay too steep. To shallow it out I must consciously bow my lead wrist. Looking at high level ball strikers (see Lee Trevino example attached), they all do some combination of "sinking" into the ground...
  3. Birdman03

Distance Gapping Test With LPGA Comparison

After looking at the attached summary for LPGA Trackman numbers I recorded the numbers for 10-12 swings with each of my clubs for comparison. I like to look at LPGA in general because their swing speed and distance numbers are often comparable to good male golfers. They also have everything...
  4. Birdman03

Favorite Drills?

What are your favorite drills for grooving a proper path through the ball? For example I like to hit under an alignment stick, between two tees, and off of a Divot Board.
  5. Birdman03

Diagnose and Fix Steep Swing?

I have read several threads on here about steepness in the golf swing. The discussions often mentioned that amateurs are often too steep. With that in mind I decided to check my swing in DTL view, and I noticed that my swing is also very steep. I will likely need to address that in order...
  6. Birdman03

Swinging Faster With Driver - Need Different Shaft?

Inspired by a Bryson video on YouTube, I started swinging as hard as possible with my driver as an experiment. I got the CHS up to 85 mph from 78 still making good hits. However center contact was less frequent and smash factor dropped from 1.44 to 1.41. The ball flight was high and slightly...
  7. Birdman03

When to Ignore Your Own Caddie Advice?

I often pull the wrong club because I somehow think I can "feel" the right swing for the distance I am trying to hit. Too often that's the distance to the flag and I end up short. Anyway, I sometimes need to override myself and just hit the center green distance with a full swing on the right...
  8. Birdman03

If you had 12/18 GIR, what would your score be?

I just did that today. Hint - my score wasn't as low as you might assume.
  9. Birdman03

Choose Your Tee Boxes Based on the Clubs You Need for GIR Attempts?

The decision on which tees to play depends mostly on how far you hit driver, but you can also look at the clubs you will need to hit your approach shots. Do you have a favorite distance range for approach shots based on the clubs you need to hit? In my case I want to be hitting mostly 7, 8, 9...
  10. Birdman03

Hands at Impact Higher Than Address - Do I Need More Upright Irons?

I have read that good players return the club at impact on or below the elbow plane line from address. My impact position is close to that, however the toe is down and the shaft is drooping as shown on the attached picture. I know part of this is due to early extension, but at my age I'm...
  11. Birdman03

Club on Shaft Plane Line at Impact?

From what I have seen the best ball strikers at impact return their irons and wedges very close to the shaft plane line (refer to examples). Also, their heads stay level or drop slightly from address. I have seen some exceptions, but to me the ability to do this is a very good indicator of how...
  12. Birdman03

Useful Tool for Stats by Handicap

https://golfinsideruk.com/golf-stats-by-handicap/ This tool is great for checking the performance metrics for your HC level. It has a great function where you input your HC goal and it then updates the metrics associated with performance at that level. In my case the driving distance for my...
  13. Birdman03

Low Swing Speed and Low HC?

If your driver clubhead speed is <85 mph and your HC is <10, please weigh in. If you don't have a HC but are able to break 80 every now and then, you qualify. Enlighten us with your experience in general, particularly: - which clubs (particularly driver) do you use? - what course lengths do...
  14. Birdman03

Is Your Short Game in Line With Your HC?

The attached stats for Up/Down %age by handicap from the linked article are worth considering, especially if your stats deviate significantly. In my experience, the majority of golfers perform most aspects of the game at a similar performance level to those of the same HC level. A 10 HC hits...
  15. Birdman03

What to Work on Today?

Golfers, when you have a whole day available to work on your game what would you choose to do, besides playing a full round? For me it would include some combination of driver practice, short game especially lag putting, and possible a round of Par 3 golf to gauge how things are working.
  16. Birdman03

Talk About Your Scoring While Playing?

I play often with a variety of strangers who I end up paired with because they booked the same tee time I did on GolfNow. There is a breed of golfer I encounter occasionally who feels the need to tell me what he is scoring during the round. If he's shooting a career round or doing something...
  17. Birdman03

Transform Your Game?

Reading through several threads from golfers working to significantly improve their games in 2024, I noticed some rather large differences in the methods that people want to use to get there. There are the analytical types that have read a lot of tips, have tried many training aids, tinkered...
  18. Birdman03

Swing Up With Driver?

I've seen this recommended often but I'm starting to think it's just one more unnecessary swing thought. Tee it up, tilt spine back a bit, and go. Are there really a lot of golfers not launching it high enough?
  19. Birdman03

Why Do We Miss the Greens?

I have my stats for over 100 competition rounds on my local Par 3 course. It has small and somewhat tilted greens. I have never been above 55% GIR in any season, but am always looking to improve that. The reasons for missing greens for me (and just about everyone I've observed) are: -Clubface...
  20. Birdman03

Test Your Ball Striking With a Long Iron

If you can hit 3 or 4 iron off the ground with center contact, proper low point, and good trajectory then you are making a very sound swing IMHO. This one test of your ball striking will quickly reveal a flawed swing. In my experience if I'm doing this well on the range pre-round then I'm...
Back