Search results for query: *

1. Birdman03

The 60 and over Thread

I use the same type of ball all the time without paying premium prices. For max driver distance (my CHS is 80 mph) when I am not concerned about performance on greens I play TaylorMade Distance+. For almost as much distance and better performance on greens I play Callaway Supersoft. Both are...
  2. Birdman03

Arccos Golf stats on Scratch vs 20 handicap

Not only do top players hit it significantly longer, they also hit it straight enough to avoid trouble and hit the next shots from favorable locations. Another way to sum this up is if all players are hitting from the same tees, the shorter hitters will have difficulty competing no matter how...
  3. Birdman03

000 That would be interesting. My guess would be that the largest variation is in Driver Distance. After that maybe 3-putt rate or Up/Down %age.
  4. Birdman03

I think we need to define what a great short game is for a 20 HC. Great for that skill level, or great compared to all golfers? The scratch golfer's average short game is likely significantly better than average for all golfers. The longer and straighter he hits it the less he needs the short...
  5. Birdman03

No, but if I did that "great" short game would probably mean getting up and down significantly more often than other golfers at his level. Good, but certainly not elite.
  6. Birdman03

Good point. I would like to see a stat for # of putts when GIR. If that is below 2 you are probably a damn good golfer.
  7. Birdman03

So even the best golfers are a little better than 1 in 3 chance of par/birdie from the sand. The lesson for most golfers then is get it on the green somewhere, 2 putt and move on. Job well done.
  8. Birdman03

How much is bogey avoidance an active part of your game and course mgmt?

The most common way I try to keep par in play is by looking at where to miss if I fail to achieve GIR. So when hitting approaches with longer clubs I move the target far away from trouble. The second way is by hitting chips and pitches hard enough to get to the hole. In my experience these are...
  9. Birdman03

The Up/Down conversion rate is certainly a significant contributor to scoring, but comparing it between golfers may not be as meaningful as it might look on this summary. The higher HC golfers are often missing greens by hitting into bunkers and awkward situations, while low HCs manage their...
  10. Birdman03

I agree, these average summaries are listing the results of what golfers are doing and don't tell how they shot the scores they recorded for HC purposes. I would like to see stats on a level that better explain the differences in scoring such as: -shots into trouble situations -penalties...
  11. Birdman03

League Partners Giving Putts

Our league rule is 3 ft or less. Personally I putt all of them that are outside obvious tap in distance to make sure my HC is accurate. I like your second sentence. Stopping the bleeding with a generous gimme or two helps that player to re-set and move on. Good for pace of play also.
  12. Birdman03

What Is The Bigger Golf Red Flag?

Your buddy is a higher handicapper, but plays blades and hits them sweet? Sounds more like a low handicapper to me ;) On the original question, neither are "red flags" because I am generally not looking to be suspicious of anyone. The name on bag guy is some type of pro/mini-tour player...
  13. Birdman03

One man scramble.

We use that rule for the first tee mulligan. You can take one, but you have to play it.
  14. Birdman03

One man scramble.

Yes I play this often at a Par 27 Par 3 course. Our current record score is 22 (5 under). Other variations of this are based on the tee shots: -Hit two tee balls and play the worst one into the hole. Very good way to work on your scrambling. -Hit two tee balls and play the best one into the...
  15. Birdman03

The 60 and over Thread

Those are great distance numbers and loft gaps. I assume those are the clubs you bought after returning to golf at age 69? What course lengths are you playing? Driver 225 to 240 yds is plenty for most "member" tees. No "senior" tees needed for you!
  16. Birdman03

Your Top 5 All-Time TV Shows

Billions Homeland Fargo True Detective The Americans
  17. Birdman03

Swing Path

It is likely that your tendency is to swing a bit outside-in. You then orient your body to the right, causing your path to go more to the right. Maybe still outside-in, but you are making a compensation that can work.
  18. Birdman03

How do you get to be a better ball striker?

Learn to swing smoothly in a circle around your body with good tempo while maintaining your balance all the way to the finish and after. Check for center contact on the clubface and make sure the low point of your arc is on the target side of the ball. Use a slow, partial swing until you can...
  19. Birdman03

Ball Speed or Clubhead Speed?

That is surprising. An E3 swing weight with a 60g shaft must mean that the head and/or grip weights are very high. Many "average" men's clubs with D2 swing weights have 85 to 105g shafts. Your shafts are actually a bit on the lighter side. Is the difference you experienced with the D2 club a...
  20. Birdman03

Ball Speed or Clubhead Speed?

I may be over simplifying, but the frequent recommendation I see for low swing speed seniors to use lightweight clubs may have a downside. Yes, swing speed will likely be higher with the lighter clubs. However, ball speed, spin, and trajectories may be less favorable. The reason is that...
Back