Search results for query: *

1. ddstanford

Cool story about homeless? Mike Sweeney getting play in spot at this week's KFT event

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/mike-sweeney-homeless-rapper-korn-ferry-tour-event-help
  2. ddstanford

USGA GHIN GPS App

Enough initials, has anyone tried this app I just downloaded and how accurate did you feel it was?
  3. ddstanford

Last round at Pinehurst 2

I thought this might interest those of us who are of a certain age and a finite future; a story of loss, golf and spreading of ashes...
  4. ddstanford

Putting grip change

After watching Billy win this weekend I'm wondering if I should try a new putting grip and stroke. My grip is currently palms facing each other +/- with thumbs down the front of the grip, but tried Horschel's a few times and also tried a variation of the Edel grip mentioned on that THP podcast...
  5. ddstanford

Brutal winter has us thinking about snowbirding

Where would you THP'ers go for golf and weather in the winter if you had a choice. We're getting hammered this winter season and the wife says she could use a break next Jan./Feb. Most of our retired folks go to AZ, but I was thinking about Palm Desert. Ideas and Thanks!
  6. ddstanford

Are we really the angriest?

Just saw this article from G.D. which says golf fans are the angriest on social media and the 2nd least interested; who'd a thunk it? https://www.golfdigest.com/story/study-golf-fans-social-media-angry?utm_medium=email&utm_source=030421&utm_campaign=hitlist&uuid=64a4d9a04eb44c2da403c707b2f0c34e
  7. ddstanford

How much does noise bother you when playing?

I don't mind people talking while I'm hitting, but if someone yells fore on my backswing, I'm probably sunk. Just watching the pros backing off putts at the Genesis just from the sound of people driving off a nearby teebox and was wondering how quiet it has to be for you guys to keep your...
  8. ddstanford

New angst and anger on THP

I've been here a little over a year and come here to calm myself from other forms of social media but even more to learn about the newest and best in golf and spend time with like minded folks. Lately, I've noticed several posts that were less than kind and wonder if maybe some folks are...
  9. ddstanford

Launch monitors for personal use

Unfortunately had to cancel golf school, but got a refund and thinking about a launch monitor to help with my game. Anyone have suggestions, I'm looking at Swing Caddie SC300 vs Garmin G80 which would serve a dual purpose, but might not have the data of the former. Thanks all, open to other...
  10. ddstanford

At the end of this challenging year, what are you thankful for?

I'm really thankful we got to play golf here, got in around 60 rounds even with the course closed until late May. It helped me keep my sanity. Before that, though, is family, my dog, a roof over my head.
  11. ddstanford

College bowl games a farce now?

In their desperation for money, the ncaa (small letters intended) are inviting teams with 2-8 and 3-7 records to play in bowl games. I am of the opinion teams should at least have a winning record before playing. Kudos to SC for opting out at 2-8, but what do you folks think. My birth state's...
  12. ddstanford

How long do you think golf balls "last", keep their full efficiency

I came back from a 13 year layoff and gave all the balls in my bag to junior golf and bought new ones. Now I see a bunch of on sale 2019 balls at the golf outlet stores and wonder if anyone knows how long an unused ball will still be as good as new.
  13. ddstanford

Music on the course, yeah or nay?

Yesterday, I played in a CGA event at the TPC course in Berthoud as a single. I was paired with a father/son duo and one other and the former played music the whole round. That's not something I'm used to and though they were playing "my music", it seemed a bit weird. Anyone else prefer quiet...
  14. ddstanford

Big Guy Tournament

Idea for all your home courses, our big guy tourney today started with 19 people on the 1st hole and each hole the high score drops out and in case of ties, there is a putt off. Great fun, though obviously the course needs to be empty on that nine (we started on 10) When 4 people have exited...
  15. ddstanford

What to do with suits, sport coats and ties?

In my previous life I wore that stuff every day and now am wondering what to do with all my suits and ties. How many funerals and weddings do we attend each year? I'm not sure people need them to interview for jobs anymore or I'd donate the clothes to them. What have you all done with your...
  16. ddstanford

anyone have trouble with snakes at your course?

This might end a friendship, at least it was done after the shot
  17. ddstanford

Will it really, finally happen?!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/pga-tour-to-implement-new-slow-play-policy-at-tournament-of-champions/ar-BB19dggo?li=BB15ms5q. This is pretty onerous for guys who don't keep up the pace on tour.
  18. ddstanford

7 Hcp vs. 1 Hcp'er, any chance?

Finals of our oldster match play tourney for ages >55 and all matches are straight up (no strokes). Some miracle has allowed me to reach the finals as a 6-7 Hcp'er, (from our white tees) but my final match will be against a 1. Any words of wisdom? I've managed to get here past a 3 and 4...
  19. ddstanford

Maintaining for 18 holes

I don't know if it's my age or my A.D.D., but I find myself imploding on the last 3-4 holes on our course. I've tried snacking every couple of holes, but I'm not sure if my concentration lapses, my fatigue changes my swing or what. Anyone have any ideas, I'm thinking about some high energy Goo...
  20. ddstanford

It drives me nuts watching Bryson putt, but should his technique be illegal? This from Golfworld

Golfworld: One more thing about putters. Specifically, the armbar method that’s growing in popularity. DeChambeau, Matt Kuchar and Webb Simpson are among those employing it, using a long putter and putting with the grip running up your forearm. Says here it shouldn’t be allowed. I know they’re...
Back