The 60 and over Thread

So I was telling @SC Putter the other night about a couple 250 yard drives I hit on Thursday (where that speed came from, I have no idea…) and naturally I went out there today trying to duplicate them.
The first hole I swung out of my shoes, and hit one about 235. The 2nd was a short 125 yard par 3, so just a 9 iron. The 3rd is a par 5 and I went all out. Hit it horribly, and felt a twinge in my hip that felt worse after my second shot ( which I actually hit well) I got out of the cart and walked up to my ball which was about 30 yards short of the green and I knew something was wrong.
I hit an easy pitch shot,but felt a shooting pain as soon as I turned my hip slightly. I could barely stand. It took me a minute to get to the cart, but I was done. The ranger drove me to my car, and I’m home icing it. I can deal with soreness, and I know this is gonna be a b*tch for a few days, but I’m hoping it’s only muscular.
I dislocated my right hip about 15 years ago, and I’ve been incredibly lucky. The doc who popped it back in place (10 weeks recovery) told me I’d probably need a replacement in 5 years and this is the same hip. Aside from some minor arthritic issues I’ve been fine. Until today.
Hopefully this isn’t going to become an issue.
Good luck with the recovery. I can relate. Seems like I have some kind of injury every time I turn around and healing takes longer and longer these days. Just got past a shoulder/triceps injury from skiing. Took a full 2 months to heal and I still feel a little twinge, but I’m now confident that I’m past any need for surgery. I’ve had surgery on both shoulders and was not looking forward to another year away from golf. My latest is a stupid pinky finger thing after trying an interlocking grip during a practice session. You don’t think much about the pinky until it hurts to bend it.

I’ve never had hip issues thank goodness, but just about every other joint in my body has been surgically repaired. I’ve developed a stretching and strength routine that I do religiously every day. Keeps my back from hurting. Hopefully you just need rest, but once past the pain, a good PT can do wonders.

So I woke up this morning and the hip feels about 50% better than last night. I‘m still limping slightly, and there’s a pulling sensation, but at least I’m mobile… which at our age is a bonus.
Looks like it will be a couple weeks on IR for me though which sucks.

Played some virtual golf on the sim yesterday with my youngest grandson. He's 15 now. His swing looks so much better than a few months ago. But the results aren't quite there yet. He'll figure out I'm sure. He's determined.

My irons are still work in progress. Struggled more than I expected. I tried to get away from the lofted woods and get back to irons. But its not working so far. At the range I'll keep trying to work the irons. But I'll be using the woods on the course. They're far from perfect but better than the irons. I can use 8 iron and shorter. But anything longer just isn't working.

Tough, tough round today. Brutal. I forgot my back meds AND my TENS machine with a low coming through. Every swing was a new experience in pain. Just horrible. On the bright side, I putted really well on this course. I find its greens to be more challenging than Oakland Hills. Even 6' putts will often break 2.5 - 3' I had no 3 putts. Lean Lock system is just fantastic for me. I honestly don't think I had a GIR today. Seriously,. It was that ugly.

Another fun day at he club playing in the MGA again. I was a bit off today, but I managed to keep it mostly together in spite of. No 3 putts today that I can think of, but I missed a bunch of 6-10 footers, so I think 30 putts. 41-39 80

Tough, tough round today. Brutal. I forgot my back meds AND my TENS machine with a low coming through. Every swing was a new experience in pain. Just horrible. On the bright side, I putted really well on this course. I find its greens to be more challenging than Oakland Hills. Even 6' putts will often break 2.5 - 3' I had no 3 putts. Lean Lock system is just fantastic for me. I honestly don't think I had a GIR today. Seriously,. It was that ugly.
One of those days. Shake it off.

Meds and hardware to play golf? You is dedicated. I can’t say too much as I’ve been taking Celebrex. Switching back to ibuprofen (good ole vitamin I). Take care of that back man.

Meds and hardware to play golf? You is dedicated. I can’t say too much as I’ve been taking Celebrex. Switching back to ibuprofen (good ole vitamin I). Take care of that back man.
If I sit, it gets worse. If you quit moving long enough, they throw dirt on you.

If I sit, it gets worse. If you quit moving long enough, they throw dirt on you.
That is a fact of which I am quite aware.

Going to the surgery center today for another round of injections. Can't say they've helped so far. But with my insurance its the process the doc has to go through before we get to burning the nerves. I think after this round of injections the next time is burn the nerves. I've talked to people that have had it done and they were happy with the results. Albeit temporary. 6 months to a year. I'll take that if I get a summer of relief.

Now I just gotta figure out how to get those irons going. I still use fairway woods up to a 9. The 11 and 13 aren't needed as I seem to be ok with the 8 and 9 irons. They just don't go as as they used to.

The driver is still my most consistent club. Its kinds weird how I have it figured out when I start to wear down. By around the 8th or 9th hole the club head tends to clip the ground behind the ball. That tells me I'm wearing down. So I don't swing as hard and its fine. Just not quite as far. And after a few more holes of that the distance increases a bit. So typically somewhere between the 8th and 13 hole I lose a little distance and gain it back the last 4 or 5 holes.

I played our 9 hole short course today (went around twice). Had a hole-in-one on the 6th hole: 73 yards, I hit it about 5 feet past the flag, it hopped, stopped and spun back into the hole. I know it's not a "regulation" HIO, but it was fun nonetheless.

I played our 9 hole short course today (went around twice). Had a hole-in-one on the 6th hole: 73 yards, I hit it about 5 feet past the flag, it hopped, stopped and spun back into the hole. I know it's not a "regulation" HIO, but it was fun nonetheless.
It's still a hole in one, may be short course. But you still spun it back and into the hole, in one stroke.

Health being a big topic on this thread, here is a tip.

A recent study shows that those of us over 60 fair much better on function, long-term health, and lifespan if we average 10,000 steps per day or more. I for one can certainly feel the difference. Apps like Health on the iPhone will even track your steps for you.

Congrats, Sean!
Why wouldn’t you count it? It’s a golf course, and you holed your tee shot.
I never get to play shorter 9 hole course like this… do the scorecards show a rating for it?

Congrats, Sean!
Why wouldn’t you count it? It’s a golf course, and you holed your tee shot.
I never get to play shorter 9 hole course like this… do the scorecards show a rating for it?
Thanks, GS! No, it doesn't have a slope or a rating, however it's a great place to work on your short game.

Back at the muni today. Could not buy a birdie putt, did not help my wedge game being off a bit, 13/14 fairways, 11 GIR, 31 putts 38-38 76.

That is outstanding! Congratulations! I’ve never had an ace. Been close SO many times, but never in the cup. What a wonderful feeling that must be!

Just happened to be checking this while out on the course today I realized I’ve hit another milestone. That’s all since March last year when I got my MGi Navigator.

Attachments

• IMG_1611.jpeg
    IMG_1611.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 15
Health being a big topic on this thread, here is a tip.

A recent study shows that those of us over 60 fair much better on function, long-term health, and lifespan if we average 10,000 steps per day or more. I for one can certainly feel the difference. Apps like Health on the iPhone will even track your steps for you.
Yes, walking is a fairly good health maintenance routine. I have averaged 3.5 miles a day for the past 12 months. I feel the best in several years. All my rounds, save 2, have been walking rounds in 2024 (33 of 35).

So I woke up this morning and the hip feels about 50% better than last night. I‘m still limping slightly, and there’s a pulling sensation, but at least I’m mobile… which at our age is a bonus.
Looks like it will be a couple weeks on IR for me though which sucks.
I wish you a speedy recovery. As someone who has battled hip and back issues for years I can't recommend a hip mobility program enough. That and some core stabilization have done wonders for me. I often wonder what took me so long to look into it. For mobility I like Tom Merrick's golf mobility video on You Tube. For stability work the McGill big three, lower ab crunch, bird dog and side planks. I often do the mobility work while watching TV at night rather than sit on the couch. I still apply Voltaren ointment to the hip and back before a round. So far over the last 3 years rounds have been pain free, knock on wood.

Yes, walking is a fairly good health maintenance routine. I have averaged 3.5 miles a day for the past 12 months. I feel the best in several years. All my rounds, save 2, have been walking rounds in 2024 (33 of 35).
I'm really hoping I can get to at least a couple miles a day. The dog park is about a half mile from here. The left side of my low back is killing me by the time I get there. It feels like a pulled muscle but I know its not. I have to sit down there while the dogs explore for a while. I wouldn't make it if I couldn't sit for a few minutes. So far injections haven't helped. But its just part of the process. Hoping I can get some real relief when they burn the nerves. Would love to be able to walk at least 9 holes again.

burn the nerves.
I’ve had lots of back problems and had 3 surgeries on it. Never heard of burning the nerves until I read yours posts. My last surgery was more than 20 years ago, so maybe it wasn’t available back then.

Back