League Partners Giving Putts

Golfers Anonymous

Just Decent
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Where do you stand on this? I play in two leagues and have a different partner in both and both will give my playing competitor putts that are anywhere from 3’-7’ and not easy lines where points are still in play. How do you handle it as well?

I handle it however the league handles it

Bring this up as just yesterday my playing partner gave a 5’ side hill putt to my competitor while he was getting a stroke to tie the hole.

7’ gives seems a bit wild. My putting stats would be out of this world if I was being given them at that distance. I understand if it’s match and the putt doesn’t matter.

Im not giving anything over 2 feet. In my Thursday league some will give three footers and others nothing. So, it can change outcomes.

Needs to be consistent across everyone, which is hard unless there are clear rules.

Im not giving anything over 2 feet. In my Thursday league some will give three footers and others nothing. So, it can change outcomes.
Do you give putts to a playing partners competitor is my question? Not the person you’re playing against but rather they are?

Needs to be consistent across everyone, which is hard unless there are clear rules.
How would you handle it if someone else gave the guy you’re playing a winning or tying putt?

Partners don't give putts. Unwritten rule in our league. My partner prefers that because I have seen him putt and know he's good for a 3 putt from any distance.

I only will give putts to the guy I'm playing and my partner does the same against who he's playing. Honestly for me it depends on the feeling of the round. If the guys are jackwagons I tend to be less giving, and if you ask, you're putting. Typically I will give anything inside the leather though, much more than that and people do miss, my self included.

How would you handle it if someone else gave the guy you’re playing a winning or tying putt?
Probably depends on my standing in the league. If I've been there years, I'm calling it out bringing it up later.
If I'm fairly new, probably jokingly question it, but mostly rolling with it.

Bring this up as just yesterday my playing partner gave a 5’ side hill putt to my competitor while he was getting a stroke to tie the hole.
Yeah that's nuts. I would definitely open my mouth about that. There are no league rules about this in mine. Its left up to the players.

Most guys in my league will give putts out to about 3 feet. And get more generous with someone that's having a horrible day or a blowup hole.

my league team has been playing together for years, so as partners we are in tune with each other and have talked through it over time.
unless it's an absolute tap-in we generally don't give putts to our partner's opponent. he's much more in tune with how things stand in his match than i am.

My partner and I only give putts to the player we are against. Usually if I've already won the hole and they are "close enough" that is when I give a putt. Never to the guy my partner is playing though. That is for him to decide.

My older brother runs our league and he has to send an email out about gimmes every year. I told him to just change the rule to you don't have a score until ball is in the hole but he doesn't want to go that harsh.

Well, it depends. Playing local league tournaments, NOPE, NO, HELL NO. Case in point, most flighted league events consider your handicap, and I really don't think you had gimmes with you set your handicap;). . And then you have match play,; Conceded putts exist as an approved part of match play, but not stroke play and the Rules of Golf ( Rule 3.2b) cover them. Playing just for the Fun sake of playing with friends or family if I'm used to seeing you nail everything within 24" sure, pick it up and lets move on. Anything over that, you are going to putt in our group. OF course all playing groups are different and gimmies in my opinion should be discussed before the start of the round.

I don’t have this issue. No league, no partner, but I would think a conversation about what you as a team feel is a reasonable give ahead of time would fix this..

I'd have to tell my partner, 'dude, do not to give my competitor any putts from now on! '

I'd have to tell my partner, 'dude, do not to give my competitor any putts from now on! '
I have before, I don’t know what else to do as he said later we needed to get some points when he gave away 1.5 in my match 🤦‍♂️

Giving a 7 footer, not easy line, points in play? A swift kick in the nuts should do the trick.
Bad Santa Pain GIF by Sky

If there is match play , that is no way I’d accept a someone else conceding the putt to your competitor

Where do you stand on this? I play in two leagues and have a different partner in both and both will give my playing competitor putts that are anywhere from 3’-7’ and not easy lines where points are still in play. How do you handle it as well?
In our leagues you can only give putts to the person you are competing against. My playing partner cannot give putts to my competitor.

Back