The Masters is in a slump

I thought Tiger posting 159 on the weekend was rather entertaining after he said "I put myself in good position" after 2 rounds; "I'm only 7 shots back".
crash fail GIF
ended up DFL if you go purely by score to par

It's a nice change not hearing idiots shouting stupid **** every shot, is it in a slump or are we seeing a new dominant player emerge?

I think lengthening it took away some of the big moves, for better or worse pending your opinion

I don’t like the lengthening and changes to 13 and 15.

It was a good leaderboard, and the #1 player in the world won. I know he won by a few shots. But still this wasn't awful

This was a good tournament

As someone who thinks it’s funny to talk smack about Scotty and his putting woes. He won today by not making any catastrophic mistakes and everyone else did. This year’s tournament was good. The final round was good. Sure a couple of guys making a back 9 charge would have been more entertaining but no one could get anything going. It seems like lots of people lost their putter mojo over the weekend.

In general I think the masters needs a good weather the entire week. I find Augusta to be the most entertaining when the course and especially the greens are just stupid fast.

As someone who thinks it’s funny to talk smack about Scotty and his putting woes. He won today by not making any catastrophic mistakes and everyone else did. This year’s tournament was good. The final round was good. Sure a couple of guys making a back 9 charge would have been more entertaining but no one could get anything going. It seems like lots of people lost their putter mojo over the weekend.

In general I think the masters needs a good weather the entire week. I find Augusta to be the most entertaining when the course and especially the greens are just stupid fast.
Scheffler’s tap in birdie on 9 and Morikawa’s double there was the beginning of the end. Scheffler didn’t let up and no one was able to get close to his lead.

I thought it was a lot of fun. Several in contention at the start of the round then there were at least 4 or 5 that had a shot entering the 2nd nine. Amen Corner took it's pound of flesh out of everyone, but Scottie who escaped with just a scrape. That is kinda what happens a lot there.

Having been there this year and last. No slump. Everyone having a great time. Go try getting a ticket. or a slumping event prices sure are UP...

I am also not a fan of it. Takes quite a bit of chance and excitement when practically no one is going for them in two with legit chances.
Agreed. Takes away that charge and the cheers echoing up the course

Scheffler’s tap in birdie on 9 and Morikawa’s double there was the beginning of the end. Scheffler didn’t let up and no one was able to get close to his lead.
He played a great round and none of the other leaders did. 11 & 12 ruined a lot of contenders days.

I’m not sure if I could feel any more the opposite. This tournament actually had me interested in golf again. We had all the best players in the world playing again, some solid golf from tiger for 36 holes, an incredibly tough test and a select few answering the bell. Scottie is moving to a class of all time greats, so he made it a little boring. But the talent and skill he showed from 9 on today was historic. Enjoy it while it’s here. Because some day Scottie will be old and struggling to stay in the mix like tiger did.

It's a respectful tournament on a beautiful piece of property where you go back in time for a few days - I'm fine with that.

To your opinion, I wouldn't necessarily call it boring, but more anticlimactic at the end. Once everyone got through 12 Scottie was pretty much alone with those around him falling behind quickly. I devoted my attention at that point to something else - I still had the coverage on in the background, but it wasn't my primary focus.

You are correct though when you say that it's been a few years since it's gone down to the wire, which is what always made the Masters the tournament to watch. Maybe they've made it too long? Maybe players aren't as bold, knowing that a second or third place finish still ranks pretty well?

Watching the coverage from Friday onward (granted Friday was windy as all get-out) I didn't really see players rolling in the putts like they traditionally have. Which, of course, makes for movement on the scoreboard and roars echoing through the trees. Maybe the current generation needs a couple more years worth of experience before the show gets good again?

Scottie is a ball-striking machine, and when you're that good, it's just kinda boring to watch. It's like watching an Iron Byron hit balls all day. The guy is really even-keeled and doesn't show much personality on the course, either. So, he's just not an "exciting" player to watch. But, he's a wonderful person and a great role model for kids to look up to, so when he wins it's never a bad thing.

This was the brightest spot in a somewhat boring PGA Tour year. Love everything about this Cathedral of sport and I can't wait to (hopefully) attend some day. On the other hand I wouldn't mind attending the WM either but for completely different reasons.

Not sure I get the slump. Thought the course played the best it has in years. Can’t do much about a guy who is statistically matching Tiger in his prime while the rest of the field is having a tough year. It was a very entertaining weekend

Course was awesome this weekend. Every par felt earned. It was shaping up to be an all time back nine, but watching Scottie to execute when everyone else didn't was entertaining in its own way.

I did not get to watch a ton but what I saw was decent. It didn't help that big fan favorites like Justin Thomas and Jordan Speith missed the cut. And Tiger crashed badly.

Not sure how to word it properly but the Masters comes off as a very uppity or a pretentious tournament.

Still one of my favorite tourneys of the year . I always look forward to it.

Not sure how to word it properly but the Masters comes off as a very uppity or a pretentious tournament.

Well, that would be what makes it special. They show us every year what a tournament can be if you demand (and can afford) perfection. It's like Disney from the old days running a golf tournament. It's the most special tournament on the most special course, and they let the average Joe who can get a ticket come experience it. Yeah, the people who run it run in much different circles from us regular folks, but for a week they welcome us in and make sure we enjoy ourselves.

Last edited:
Agree with OP but whether or not you get a close race down the final holes is just down to luck.

Also agree that hearing about "patrons" all week is annoying AF but ultimately a small price to pay.

3 rounds would tighten it up

It was just an average Masters. Nothing too exciting and players in contention were just dropping like flies.

Loved every second of it.

Throughout its history the Masters is usually won by a player who on Sunday is able to avoid double bogeys , and today was more of the same. It's a great golf course and tournament.

Back