Apex 21, T150, T100, and MB

GolfZook

Reaction score
Handicap
So random question here. I’m currently gaming the Apex 21s with recoil graphite shafts. I’ve not played great with them although countless others have as they are great clubs. My previous irons were macgregor blades which I loved but clearly weren’t forgiving.

I play much less these days and shouldn’t play blades. I’m going for a fitting in a few days and have been eyeing the T150s. Everything I’ve read here and other places these sound like the ones but we never really know right, until we get on the Tracman.

So here’s my question…has anyone hit or gamed both and what are your thoughts on speed, distance, dispersion, et al. Also, would you suggest other besides 150 and 100? Should I entertain the MB as a weekend golfer? Any other brands that look similar, maybe mizuno or Bridgestone or something I should try out? I don’t want to over do the fitting with multiple shafts and brands so I’m trying to narrow things down a bit but if I have to do it over multiple days I guess I can.

Thanks in advance!

Callaway Apex Pro. Mizuno 245s Cobra King Tour

The Titleists are great, regular 2021 Apex to an MB is a big step especially if you aren't playing a ton

The T150 are stronger lofted and noticeably a bit bigger than the 100s. They play more as a "distance iron" than the 100s . The feel is the most oft criticized part of the 150 as it does not feel like a soft forged club , but feels better than your typical hollow head. It's kind of in between. But it's a very appealing club

The 100 is more a players club, but definitly check out the 4 iron if you can , and see if it looks fine from the topline. It's a bit smaller than the 150 for sure

After my fitting last Friday, I could not recommend enough that you add Cobra King Tour to your list. The look incredible, FEEL amazing, and were a pleasure to hit.

Last edited:
I guess my first question would be...what are you seeing out of the Apex that you don't necessarily like. What more are you searching for in your next iron?

So random question here. I’m currently gaming the Apex 21s with recoil graphite shafts. I’ve not played great with them although countless others have as they are great clubs. My previous irons were macgregor blades which I loved but clearly weren’t forgiving.

I play much less these days and shouldn’t play blades. I’m going for a fitting in a few days and have been eyeing the T150s. Everything I’ve read here and other places these sound like the ones but we never really know right, until we get on the Tracman.

So here’s my question…has anyone hit or gamed both and what are your thoughts on speed, distance, dispersion, et al. Also, would you suggest other besides 150 and 100? Should I entertain the MB as a weekend golfer? Any other brands that look similar, maybe mizuno or Bridgestone or something I should try out? I don’t want to over do the fitting with multiple shafts and brands so I’m trying to narrow things down a bit but if I have to do it over multiple days I guess I can.

Thanks in advance!

I went from apex 21 to t150. I thought i would lose distance being that the t150's have more loft and im a really high ball hitter with irons. I wanted to move on from the apex because I was just struggling with overdrawing my irons badly. What i found out after getting the t150's is i did not lose any distance, i actually gained distance just because i hit them so much more flush/consistantly. I love the sole/turf interaction of these t150's as a sweeper. I dunno what it is but i just hit them so much better and straighter with same shafts. I still fight the draws somewhat with the t150s but its more of a 10 yard draw instead of a 20-30 yard draw like i would see with the apexs. Its a much more controlled and predictable draw so now im hitting way more greens in reg. I was that guy that would always be looking to replace irons as i never really felt like i found the ones until the t150s. I dont even look at irons anymore and im extremely happy with my t150s.

Awesome info, thanks for the replies!

As for what I’m looking for that’s different or what I don’t like, that’s a good question. I think something that suits my eye a little better which to me would be a little thinner top line. I also have just never really struck these very well consistently. I tend to balloon them. I hit the ball high anyway but these seem to float a little more on me and I end up losing some distance because of it. I’m not a deep divot striker of the ball, very shallow divot.

I’m looking forward to trying the 150s and am interested in how they compare to the 100s. I’m curious in just reading how the 100s would play 2 degrees stronger to match the 150 lofts. If I like these I may go for a blended set maybe the 100s 5-PW and 4 or 3 and 4 in the 150 as long as I can loft them the gap correctly.

I will say those King Cobra Tours look very nice! I’m gonna look at those as when testing.

Don’t overlook Srixon ZX7 or ZX5.

What is it about the MacGregor blades that you liked? And what model was it?

I wouldn't hesitate to try a blade or two. I don't think the difference in forgiveness between a modern blade and a players cavity (think 620 CB) is as big as people sometimes suggest.

What is it about the MacGregor blades that you liked? And what model was it?

I wouldn't hesitate to try a blade or two. I don't think the difference in forgiveness between a modern blade and a players cavity (think 620 CB) is as big as people sometimes suggest.

I was playing with the older VIP V-Foils with rifle shafts. They felt so good when you hit them and were like throwing darts on a green. I loved the feel, look, and performance. I switched when I started playing about 6 rounds a year. Now that the kids are a little older I played around 30-40 rounds last year.

My iron progression over tge past few years was Apex Pro 19 (2 years) , Apex Pro 21 (1.5 yrs), Apex TCB’s and just starting to play this Season a T150/200 combo set. All these sets were with graphite composite shafts either Recoil, MMT or Steelfiber. I have also had multiple sets of Srixon, Cobra and TM sprinkled in prior.

got fitted last September for the T150/200 combo but by the time I bought a set and were rebuilt our season was over so haven’t played outdoors yet but the fitting and 5 SIM sessions have told me I won’t be disappointed.

If you struggle with the Apex 21’s you will not be happy with MB’s as not forgiving as much. I would say though one fitting with a good fitter and you will find a good combo. It won’t take that long. There is so much good product available today. Whatever fits your swing, budget and eye are critical. If you don’t play a lot then a blade will not enhance your enjoyment and scores in my opinion. Good luck.

I was playing with the older VIP V-Foils with rifle shafts. They felt so good when you hit them and were like throwing darts on a green. I loved the feel, look, and performance. I switched when I started playing about 6 rounds a year. Now that the kids are a little older I played around 30-40 rounds last year.
Now what is it about the Apex that you don’t like? If you hit a lot of shots thin, it could be a sole/bounce issue.

It is too easy to say that club x is more forgiving than club y just because the manufacturer says so. It depends on the characteristics of your swing, too.

So I went today for a fitting session and it was definitely the shaft being the biggest problem with the Aoex 21s. It’s the recoil dart 75 stiff. Being that light it’s not quite stiff enough for my swing which cause the club head to lag behind which causes a lot of high right misses. When I then try and use my hands to catch up I’m flipping it. My dispersion was short right and short left. Once in a while I’d time it perfectly and hit a decent shot on line.

I tried a number of things and the two best numbers were the T200 and Paradigm AI Smoke. To be honest I liked the feel better of the smoke but not the look. I really liked the look of the 200. I hit the 150 just as well as the 200 but my misses for my swing on the 200 were longer. The 200s and stronger lofts were better for what I was looking for as well. I play 4-PW in my iron set then have a GW and SW separate. I tried the 4iron in both the 200 and 350 and am likely doing a 350 in the 4i and maybe 5i as well.

The shaft that gave me the best numbers in those were the KBS $-Taper Lite. It wasn’t such a shock switching from that 75g shaft to a 100g shaft whereas the 120-130g shafts were sort of a shock to the system after playing the lighter shafts the past few years.

The Titleists look great and that combo setup should be 🔥. Curious if you tried a heavier graphite like a Dart 105 stiff.

The Titleists look great and that combo setup should be 🔥. Curious if you tried a heavier graphite like a Dart 105 stiff.

I tried the tensei white and liked the feel. The numbers were close but the dispersion wasn’t as tight with my swing. There was the heavier dart shaft or I would’ve tried that.

With the 4 iron hitting the t200 beside the t350 I was 10 yards longer with the the 350 and my peak height was 81 with the 350 and 68 with the 200 which is expected as the 350 makes it easier to hit higher. Very interesting numbers the entire time.

Picked up the new irons and it’s been rainy but tomorrow looks to be a range day. Looking forward to hitting them. They look so nice I almost don’t want to hit them.

Ended up with the stiff $-taper which are the 120 gram.

I went from the apex 21s to T100s and that was a big step. I increased stiffness too. Still getting used to them but not as forgiving.

Back