Putting with line on ball?

I do not. I have a bit of a bum right knee, so I can't get down into the catcher's stance to line it up.

Intermediate point FTW.

Yep, 360*.

If it rolls true and “misses” then it was a poor read or speed. If it’s blurry, poor alignment and/or stroke. If I’m not in the mood for the line, turn it horizontal.

I tried it but not sure if I gained any improvement and found it took too long aligning and one thing that bugs me is watching another golfer spend 2 minutes lining up putter (aim point, etc) and miss as many as they used to make with their previous 20 second look, then putt.

I know it works for some but for me I just couldn’t get into it.

Yes do, when I use Erc triple track balls
Also use chrome softs and they don’t have aid nor do mark a line
On them.

Me-fairly solid putter ,31-33 avg ( pb of 28) have no issues , trusting etc , set ball and then putt ….

This isn’t life or death or finance running on a putt , confidence is created through repitition and belief.

On course if the putt is long enough to need to read it I’m using the line 100% of the time.

Once I have the line setup everything else I’m doing to address the ball is to get the ball started on the line. Once I’m over the ball the only thing I’m thinking about is hitting the right speed.

Something that I see with people who don’t trust their line is a lot of manipulating the putter face during the stroke. I think a lot of modern putter design is to compensate for people not trusting their line and making the inconsistent manipulations mid stroke.

Every year I say I will try using a line. I always abandon it early as I just can’t trust if I have placed it correctly. And it takes a few seconds longer, which I am conscious of and causes me to rush.

Will probably go through the same pattern when the weather turns and end up with no line for the 40th (or so) consecutive year.

I‘ve putted without the line for most of my life but I‘m working diligently with a putting instructor to fix my poor putter face aiming habit and part of it is using the line and trusting it. Aiming it incorrectly causes path and other issues so I have more than one thing to fix. I’m 10 rounds in to the process and seeing progress so I’m committed to it for all of 204.

I started using it 100% of the time last year. My thought was that if I make a good read, the line on the putter and ball are aligned, then all I have to worry about is my speed. It took me a while to fully trust the alignment, but eventually it got to be a habit. Now, if I don't feel like the alignment is correct, then I made a bad read in the first place.

Yes I use some form of a line whether it’s a single line or triple track.

There are only 2 places you get to have your ball in hand and orient it any way you like to create an alignment marker. The tee box and the green.

I’m expecting to get roasted over this 👇

Not using an alignment marking on your ball is putting yourself at a disadvantage because you can have an alignment aid in play and you are not taking full advantage.

There are only 2 places you get to have your ball in hand and orient it any way you like to create an alignment marker. The tee box and the green.

I’m expecting to get roasted over this 👇

Not using an alignment marking on your ball is putting yourself at a disadvantage because you can have an alignment aid in play and you are not taking full advantage.
I think it is only an aid if it helps me make more putts; otherwise a nonfactor or even a distraction.

I have used a line for 20 years and after placing the ball, I step back as I am standing and verify it is on the line I want. If it is not, I generally don't fix it, but adjust to it in the putting swing.

I feel that it helps me as it takes some of the thought out of it when standing over the ball since you just need to work on the speed at that point.

Do you guys use the line on ball when lining up putt on green?
I just can't seem to get used to it. When I try to use it and stand over ball, I always think something isn't lined up, so I roll ball over not see line on ball. I wonder if I need to learn to use/trust it.
I'm like you. It never looks lined up the same when I stand over it. Though I do use the line at times, I seem to make more putts when I don't. Go figure! When I do use the line, I just force myself to trust it but often, subconsciously, I will manipulate the putter and go with the direction that my mind senses it should start on instead of what the line suggests, if that makes sense.

I use the the line and I mark my ball with two perpendicular lines. Gives me confidence that I am square to my mark. The only downside I have found for me is that it makes putting practice incredibly long.

i put a single line over the "prov1x" mark on the ball line it up to my read, then line it up to the line in the putter and focus on making a good stroke

I just haven’t found a good stencil to make a decent straight line.
I have thought about getting and marking with a “check go plus”

Tried it for a while but found in my case it didn't make a difference, plus took longer to set up.

Do you line it up with the hole or your intended line?

Parallel to the line. I just mess with it as a distraction. If it rolls solid then I still put a good stroke on the ball. I does look pretty wild when it rolls though.

Parallel to the line. I just mess with it as a distraction. If it rolls solid then I still put a good stroke on the ball. I does look pretty wild when it rolls though.
I tinker with an alignment here and there, but never given it a solid consistent effort to get good with it.

Back