JohnnyO3478

Reaction score
I played in my first (what I'd call) competetive tournament this past weekend. It was a two man team affair at my club with about 52 teams competing. Nine holes of better ball and nine holes scrambling. I'm a 20 index player and my partner is a 24. Our goal was to not finish DFL. Mission accomplished - we finished tied for second from DFL. They broke up the field into 3 flights after the round instead of applying indexes. We would have had to shoot even par to sniff the top of the third flight. I think 60 won the top prize.

I played like hot garbage on the front (took 3 shots to get past the fwd tees on the first hole - embarassing - but saved a double) - contributing only on 2 or 3 holes. Fortunately my partner really only had one or 2 bad holes. On the back - we both contributed. The course was as soaked as it could possibly be after the 96 inches of rain that we got last week. It litterally stopped raining an hour and a half before we teed off. Had a good time. I'd do it again.

Playing in actual events is pretty nerve-racking but awesome. I have played in two stroke play events that were played at scratch. I had no chance of course, the first I shot a smooth 100, carded a 10 and two 8s so that killed me, just the most terrible golf I could play, pretty embarrassing. Then in the other, a nice 90, that was with 6 penalty strokes and two terrible doubles, :cautious: could have been in the low 80s. Hoping to play in at least 4 this season.

As someone who plays on a AM tour competition is very different from casual. Whole different feel and it takes a few times to really settle in.

Playing in competitions is a great way to work on your game. A 2 man team is a tough partnership, even in a scramble. Congrats on hitting your goal @JohnnyO3478 !

I remember my first tournament (County amateur) like 35 years ago. I was nervous as hell on the first tee. Hit a grounder with my driver. Next shot i flushed my 5 wood to just short of the green. 3rd shot i chipped in for birdie LOL! Ya just never know. I shot 83 so didn't totally embarrass myself

Tournament golf is completely different beast.
1st tee of a tournament is nerve racking but usually everyone has high hopes on #1

Great job accomplishing your goals.

Back