Recent content by tahoebum

1. tahoebum

driving layup club?

It’s really whether you prefer a 3 or 2 hybrid or a 4 or 5 wood. I hit a similar lofted and length hybrid the same distance as my 4 wood which is my 235-240 yard club. I love the compact head on the 4 wood I have but lots of my buddies carry an even more compact hybrid in that 16-18° range...
  2. tahoebum

How much is bogey avoidance an active part of your game and course mgmt?

It’s definitely a part of my game, especially on par fives when I’ve hit a poor tee shot. I very rarely attempt the hero shot. I also know that I’m better with my proximity from 80 to 120 yards then I am from 35 yards to 70 yards.. if I can’t get 35 yards or closer on a short par 4 tee shot or...
  3. tahoebum

Would You Buy This?

I’ve never spent $125 for a polo, not even at the Master’s. Our pro shop at the club discounts brands like Travis Mathew, G Fore, Greyson, Adidas, Foot Joy, Galvin Green, etc. 30% or more off of MSRP so all my shopping is done there.
  4. tahoebum

Losing Golf Accessories

I normally use English or Spanish coins for ball markers so it’s no big deal when I lose one. I did lose my gold band wedding ring on a golf course about 8 or 9 years after I was married. My wife was actually bothered by it less than I was. I like my wider tungsten wedding ring much better. :)
  5. tahoebum

Adjustable Weights in Irons

Not at all sexy but after decades you do get better at ”blending” it. :ROFLMAO: Orangutan arms will force familiarity with poison tape.
  6. tahoebum

Range balls on a SIM?

My spin numbers with shorter irons on a mat are different than they are off of grass. I shallow my swing when on mats in the interest of preserving my joints.😀 Very rarely has a range session before a round correlated with how I hit the ball on the course that day.
  7. tahoebum

The Official Banter Away Thread

I’ve flown more this year than ever before and it’s consistently this way at every airport - it’s like they are afraid they won’t get on the plane.
  8. tahoebum

The Official Banter Away Thread

Why do a large percentage of air travelers insist on standing close to the gate way before it’s their time to board, making it harder for others to get past them? Today about 30 people ”pre-boarded”, many of them able bodied adults with no kids, strollers, or disability of any kind. Another...
  9. tahoebum

Total distance question

With all the different lofts of irons it’s not the same for everyone. My driver carry is about 76% greater than my 9 iron but I bet for many longer hitting players it’s double what their 9 iron is. IMO, the most important thing is yardage gapping. All my gaps are 13-15 yards.
  10. tahoebum

SuperStroke buys Lamkin

Agree 100%. If they don’t keep the Lamkin name I’ll be switching my grips back to Golf Pride.
  11. tahoebum

New Guy

Welcome!
  12. tahoebum

What are your expectations for a more forgiving iron than your current gamers to hit more greens?

I don’t think I gained anything on GIR percentage when I moved from muscle back blades to forged cavity backs. Maybe I did on approaches over 190 yards? I soon will have a set of Dynapower Forged so we’ll see if something more forgiving can help my GIR.
  13. tahoebum

Unsolicited gold advice- what’s your stance

Only if it’s from a PGA pro that knows me and my swing well.
  14. tahoebum

SuperStroke buys Lamkin

Evidently Bob Lamkin is staying around and working at Superstroke for at least a little while. Hopefully Superstoke doesn’t screw up the wide variety of Lamkin grip offerings or eliminate the name.
  15. tahoebum

Total distance question

Agree. Driver carry of just 55 yards longer than a 9 iron is a bad fit or something really wrong with driver fit, shaft, or consistently bad contact. My carry gap between 9 iron and driver is 105 yards which works out to a 15 yard gap per club on average.
Back