Recent content by MonroeBob1955

1. M

The 60 and over Thread

Have hit a friends DCB’s and they are very nice. I also play GI clubs. 0211s. Do they help? Oh yes. Well my brain says so. Yet a few weeks ago a friend gave me a set of 70’s vintage Hagen blades. Took them out for a fun round. Shot within 2 strokes of my handicap with a 50 year old set of...
  2. M

The 60 and over Thread

You are correct in that course management is as important if not more important than any other aspect of the game. Take out the big numbers. One course decision I’ve adopted is stop pin hunting. Center of green on approaches regardless of pin location. It takes out the bunkers, water and short...
  3. M

The 60 and over Thread

Oh yes. I think we’ve all met and played with individuals like that. Attitude. Or outlook. An activity or sport meant for enjoyment. Yet, at the same time fills with frustration. When I find myself pushing too hard and mad at myself for enduring this activity, my mind flashed to Bagger Vance...
  4. M

Finally broke 100

A massive milestone for you. Wonderful!!! And yes, onto 90. And based on your 44 front nine, you may find that sooner as opposed to later. Keep it up!!
  5. M

The 60 and over Thread

That is the exact reason I moved back to the whites. To improve my woods and hybrids. And it has worked, for me anyways. Long ago I changed my swing/mindset to swing easy/smooth for minimum body impact so I could still play when older. Mindset: Did the ball progress towards the target? Yes...
  6. M

Best 3 Wood of 2024

I was at Edwin watts two weeks ago looking at the same thing. After trying several 3 woods, found a Paradym + 3HL (4 wood) in the used bin that looked never to have been hit before. Better more consistency launch and carry. Extremely forgiving on off center hits. Higher average distance...
  7. M

The 60 and over Thread

Gone are the days of long irons in the bag. As we’ve gotten older, we sometimes gain a little wisdom and start replacing those clubs with hybrids or fairway woods. When I first started adding hybrids, I couldn’t hit the darn things. Did they fly higher? Yes, but I never knew where the heck they...
  8. M

The 60 and over Thread

Congratulations!! As many of us know, this is a major lifestyle change and settling in on your retired life does take time. Sometimes a lot. Oh, I’m going to have all this free time for golf! Good luck with that. Many of us are busier than when we were working it seems. It’s taken me 9 years...
  9. M

The 60 and over Thread

Personally, I concur with set gap wedge. For me, the GW is just the next progression down from my PW, whereas the PW is 100 yards and GW is 90. Rarely do much chipping with GW. That said, your game tactics may be different than mine.
  10. M

PXG Black Ops driver

Last week PXG had a demo day at my club. Although I was mainly looking at the Gen6 irons, he did a fitting on the black ops. After several heck no shaft attempts, he settled in on a Diamana that suited me quite well. It felt great, sounded really good and distance was at/near my Qi10. I really...
  11. M

The 60 and over Thread

Weather hasn’t been particularly positive for getting a round in. Played Tuesday. Rain canceled yesterday. After seeing a break on the radar this morning, headed to the golf course, only to see the rain start 15 minutes after I got there. I should get hired by the local. Tv station as I predict...
  12. M

Callaway Paradym Fairway Woods

An unexpected surprise hit me yesterday when I was at Edwin Watts store. They had a used Paradym + 3HL with a senior shaft For a stupid low price. Used, although appears to have never been hit as no face or soul marks. Pulled the trigger on it. The sim data looked very good With high launch and...
  13. M

How Much Golf Stuff Do You Watch?

As far as regular TV, have gone from watching nearly everything to only majors and a few signature events. And even then the TV is muted mostly as the commentary has gone down the crapper. Now I do enjoy YouTube golf stuff. Some very enjoyable personalities there.
  14. M

Shoulders Turn Parallel/Flat

Without seeing your swing, it’s difficult to assess accurately. But my first thought is bend more at your waist. Sounds like you’re standing too upright and swinging way flat. On the driving range or sim, try pointing your lead shoulder straight at the ball And raising your hands higher at the...
  15. M

All Things Being Equal…..

Since we have a rainy/rumbly Monday, I’ve been looking at the data for this year so far. Although difficult to draw hard conclusions this early in the test, what I’m seeing is very interesting (at least to me). Based on 21 9 and 18 hole rounds in last two months. Typical for early season, I...
Back