Recent content by leftshot

1. leftshot

Interesting Handicap Conversation

Actually, the good golfer is at an extreme disadvantage in large net score tournaments, unless the event is tightly flighted. The reason is the mid to high handicap golfer’s range of probable scores is much larger than the low or scratch player. In a large field across all handicaps it is to...
  2. leftshot

This is what happens when you are an old guy. What I described is the classic shamble format. But it is so brutal that several variations emerged. What I described was what is currently referred to as the worst ball shamble to distinguish it from the many variations out there. Some of the...
  3. leftshot

I get your point, but for the record a scratch player IS going to shoot mid to high 70s most of the time assuming he’s playing courses and tees that have a course rating of around 72. Remember only 8 of your last 20 BEST rounds are part of the handicap calculation.
  4. leftshot

Sorry, no you don’t. In a scramble you are playing off someone else’s ball most of the time. The only time you’d have an idea is if the team was playing off your ball almost exclusively throughout the round. In a shamble it’s even harder as you are playing off the worst ball. Thus you are...
  5. leftshot

Their improved play is showing up in their scores. After all, good scores are supposed to be an indication of good play.
  6. leftshot

No, they are not sandbagging and effort put toward improvement should be rewarded.
  7. leftshot

The 60 and over Thread

I’ve noticed with some players they move up and aren’t hitting the ball any farther down the fairway. It seems like they just aren’t putting as much into their swing. For some they probably prefer doing this and not having as much wear and tear on their body, or pain after playing. But for...
  8. leftshot

The 60 and over Thread

Well, besides just wearing out a body with activity over the accumulating years, the following happened. I was very active in sports growing up, including several sports at a very high level. When you are young, no one tells you the long-term implications of all that wear and tear on your...
  9. leftshot

The best shot of the round

In league play tonight our third hole was a par 4 and I hit a high draw a long way down the fairway. Unfortunately, there is a tree in this fairway and I reached the rough around that tree. At 70 yards out my only shot was to go under the branches of that tree and bump it into the burn in...
  10. leftshot

League Play - How Are You Doing?

League tonight was a barnburner. We play as 2-player teams with a handicapped best-ball format. I was giving strokes to the other team's players in 4 of the 9 holes. But I played the first 3 holes, 2 par 4s sandwiching a par 3 in 1-under gross to put us 2 up early on. Later on, they won two...
  11. leftshot

How much is bogey avoidance an active part of your game and course mgmt?

I look at it differently. When I’m on the tee I’m first assessing the potential score for this hole with my skillset. Sometimes that is a birdie. Sometimes the best reasonable expectation is a par. I want to give myself the best chance at achieving that score without a ton of downside. For...
  12. leftshot

Unsolicited gold advice- what’s your stance

Interestingly, this thread was posted just a few days after one of only two times I ever gave a player advice on the golf course! Noteworthy is: The advice given was to my partner in league play, not between two dudes who don't know each other. As partners, we're supposed to help each other...
  13. leftshot

Golf shorts: How short is too short?

Reminds me of a teammate I had in cross country. His main thing was racing as a cyclist. This dude had massive thighs! I on the other hand weighed 118 lbs. on a 5' 9" frame. I was one of the top cross-country runners in the state and my teammate never did better than middle-of-the-pack JV...
  14. leftshot

What are the signs of a bad Instructor?

First of all, I hardly ever judge an instructor by the results of a single student. Just like there are bad instructors there are bad students. Students who go to lessons then don't apply themselves in between lessons, or do so poorly are plentiful. That is but one of many examples of how...
  15. leftshot

The 60 and over Thread

Health being a big topic on this thread, here is a tip. A recent study shows that those of us over 60 fair much better on function, long-term health, and lifespan if we average 10,000 steps per day or more. I for one can certainly feel the difference. Apps like Health on the iPhone will even...
Back