Recent content by greenOak

1. G

Arccos Golf stats on Scratch vs 20 handicap

I don't understand the "almost nobody is equally good (or bad) at every facet of the game, so therefore these stats that show averages aren't helpful" argument. Average stats by handicap level give individual golfers an understanding of where their actual strengths and weaknesses lie which is...
  2. G

Arccos Golf stats on Scratch vs 20 handicap

Is your home course rated easy? Based on birdie/bogey/doubles numbers you're averaging 6-7 over par which seems quite low for a 6.4 handicap. I have a similar handicap (6.9), and I average about 9.5 over playing on setups that are usually rated around 70/125.
  3. G

Total distance question

Ball flight matters. The reason many amateurs hit all their long irons the same distance is because they are unable to get them to stay in the air long enough. Hitting the ball harder will get it to stay in the air longer but so will presenting more loft. Thus, if you are a high ball flight...
  4. G

What did you shoot today?

How the #$&@ can you hit 12 greens and shoot 84? (Hint: terrible putting and 4 penalty strokes).
  5. G

Updated PGA Tour Trackman Averages Data - Thoughts?

Averaging a negative AoA with driver is what surprises me the most. Nothing else really jumps out at me.
  6. G

Would you ever take driver out of the bag pending the course you are playing?

FWIW all data on amateur golfers I've seen has shown that, on average, there is hardly any difference in accuracy between 3-wood and driver. Golfers who get substantially more accurate when dropping down to 3-wood are the exception not the rule. Here are studies from shotscope and arccos showing...
  7. G

Would you ever take driver out of the bag pending the course you are playing?

You say you might only use driver 6 times, but using it 6 times will still make it one of your more frequently used clubs. Would you ever leave your 7-iron at home because you'll probably only hit it 2-3 times?
  8. G

What Is The Bigger Golf Red Flag?

Biggest red flag is caring what's on/in someone's bag.
  9. G

Percentages - Walking vs. Riding

Probably walk about half my rounds. Ideally I'd walk more rounds but a lot of the courses I play are carts only.
  10. G

Tee up Wedges on Par-3s?

Only time I'll tee up a wedge is if I'm struggling a lot with fat shots. If I'm feeling good about my ball-striking I'm not teeing up wedges. I'll sometimes not tee up short irons either, but with anything longer I'm always using a tee.
  11. G

The Masters is in a slump

Agree with OP but whether or not you get a close race down the final holes is just down to luck. Also agree that hearing about "patrons" all week is annoying AF but ultimately a small price to pay.
  12. G

Course Mgmt: shot evaluation criteria

The problem with this train of thought is thinking that you can "just make a bogey" with a short club in your hand. If you can thin a long iron into the river, I'm sure you're capable of thinning a short iron into the river as well. Whether or not you made a good decision or not ultimately comes...
  13. G

Would you pay for lessons that don't use technology

No launch monitor would be a deal breaker for me. IMO things like path, AoA, launch angle, and many others cannot be accurately guessed without one. I know I ran into an issue where others (playing partners, instructor, myself) thought I had a very out-to-in swing path because of a dtl full...
  14. G

2024 Round Count

1 Played like absolute crap but I'm finally on the board.
  15. G

Golf myths that need to go away

Drive for show putt for dough
Back