Looking for a more workable less forgiving ironset

ArjandeV

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello, as my skill is improving I should look for a more workable and less forgiving ironset, according to my teaching pro.

As I'm a little Wilson fanboy I'm looking to the FG Tours or the FG62 musclebacks, but maybe you guys know some?

I would like to make a short list so I can test those irons..

Basically every single company has a set like this. Your short list would be a list of each manufacturer.

Hello, as my skill is improving I should look for a more workable and less forgiving ironset, according to my teaching pro.

As I'm a little Wilson fanboy I'm looking to the FG Tours or the FG62 musclebacks, but maybe you guys know some?

I would like to make a short list so I can test those irons..[/QUOTE

There really is no percentage in using a club that is more difficult to hit. Tiger Woods claims he did not learn to turn the ball effectively until after he had won that first Masters, so a player can become very good buy hitting mostly straight balls.

I would like to make a short list so I can test those irons..

Im not trying to tell you what to play or anything like that but i noticed you have your handicap as a 36, you sure you wanna make the game any harder?

My G5's are very much game improvement irons, I don't have any issue working them either direction. I think working the ball is more about skill than the type of irons one play's.
Not sure I agree with your teacher if your index is 36 as posted in your info, but I will be the last to tell you how to spend your money.

Keep hitting the Di9's hi and straight man, there is no need at all to switch. When you learn to work the ball you can work it fine with the Di9's but, in my opinion working the ball is highly overrated for ametuers like us. There are plenty of great ametuers that just hit thier irons straight but, the Di9's are more than capable of handling it if thats what you want. Not sure why your teacher would say that to a hi handicapper and, also nothing at all wrong with sticking to 1 brand if thats what you like/feel comfortable with.

Keep hitting the Di9's hi and straight man, there is no need at all to switch. When you learn to work the ball you can work it fine with the Di9's but, in my opinion working the ball is highly overrated for ametuers like us. There are plenty of great ametuers that just hit thier irons straight but, the Di9's are more than capable of handling it if thats what you want. Not sure why your teacher would say that to a hi handicapper and, also nothing at all wrong with sticking to 1 brand if thats what you like/feel comfortable with.

very well said duffer

Please share your secret to hitting it too straight with the irons. I wish I had such a problem.

+1, perfectly said.

Please share your secret to hitting it too straight with the irons. I wish I had such a problem.
dubbledxu is a genius,,,,,, and possibly ex-CIA. We want the truth.

Well, my handicap is down to 30.1 because I never entered scores.. according to my Pro I'm playing on hcp 14-16.. which will be right I think.. if I dont do the risk shots :) Of course I will have some bad days and play like +25, but most of the time I will play like +12 trough +16...

In Europe the handicap system is a little bit different from the US.. our Handicap is altered by playing qualifying cards, but it also depends on which zone you are entering.

As for the workable irons, I will maybe do an course at the DGTF (which is part of the WGTF) and will become a teaching pro, but to do that you have to show some "trick"shots like draw's, fade's, punch, lob etc.. Specialy lob's and punches are a lot easier with clubs with a smaller sole.. I played some rounds with like 15 year old Cleveland blades and it went well.. so I'm not worrying about the straight balls etc.. thats quite easy :)

The Di9's have a huge sole which makes it easier to get it airborne, but I don't need that actually..

What about looking for a set of MB's, cavity back long irons working down to blade short irons

If you're set on buying new clubs, and set on Wilson...I'd seriously look at Di11s.

I'm pretty puzzled as to why your teaching pro would recommend this path though. I'd be quite happy to hit everything dead straight!

If you're set on buying new clubs, and set on Wilson...I'd seriously look at Di11s.

I'm pretty puzzled as to why your teaching pro would recommend this path though. I'd be quite happy to hit everything dead straight!

I agree. When I was a 12 index I wanted mizuno mp-32's so bad. I wanted the workability and in my opinion they are still the sexiest iron ever. But after getting a set of the 67's I soon realized that it wasnt the best move. In 5 years look at my progression in Iron sets. Its kinda funny.

Mp-67 - 12 index
Mp-52 - 8 index
Mx-300 - 6 index
R9 Tp's - 4 index
Burner 2.0 - sub 2 index

Even some of the best ball strikers in the world dont hit blades opr forged irons for that matter. My 3rd round with my burners I shot 65. And I still work the ball with them just fine. Im telling you....going to a players club is not a good move.

Let's see, workable and less forgiving? So many sets to choose from: I'd have to nominate some Scratch irons, as they're known for workability, especially in the hands of Ryan "I look like shat" Moore, or perhaps the new Nike VR blades, I mean, those sticks have helped Tiger go from #1 to like #7 in the world rankings or you could really raise the bar and get yourself some Callaway Razr X MB's. The most dynamic shot maker in the 21st century has those in his bag. Or perhaps, the new, Taylormade Tour Preferred MC irons. Forum member setho is experiencing an unparalleled amount of workability but I fear they may be to forgiving, and clearly you don't want that. If I were you, I'd seriously find the slimmest, most difficult to hit irons on the planet. They'll be workable, and they'll offer zero forgiveness. Personally, I can't think of a better way to have fun on a golf course.

Lol alright fella's. Pretty new forum dude so let's go easy on him. Have you hit anything like the Cally RazrX Tours? That is one of my favorites of the new clubs out. Maybe the Adams CB1's. Titleist AP2's.....All of the manufacturers have a nice set of CB's that will fit the bill for you.

Lol alright fella's. Pretty new forum dude so let's go easy on him. Have you hit anything like the Cally RazrX Tours? That is one of my favorites of the new clubs out. Maybe the Adams CB1's. Titleist AP2's.....All of the manufacturers have a nice set of CB's that will fit the bill for you.

I am being serious though chunky. I've decided that if someone wants to enjoy their time on a golf course workabilitying all over the place, then that's their business. I believe that I did recommend some pretty serious sets to try out, all of them meet the criteria set forth in the OP.

If you are a 14-16 and want something that has more workability I would look at sets like the Taylormade MC's, Wilson Staff Ci9, Ping i15, Nike VR Pro Combo. It's nice to make a jump from 30 to 14(great job), but even with being a 14 I would say you would still need SOME forgiveness. The Nike VR Pro Cavity is a nice looking iron too.

TC is making light of the situation but he's right.

I played with a scratch golfer this weekend and he was playing the Taylormade ZTP Smoke MB's, beautiful irons and he was killing them. I asked him about them and he said I love them but I'm looking to get something more forgiving, I'm leaving a stroke here and there every round.

Just go see an experienced fitter and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

TC is making light of the situation but he's right.

I played with a scratch golfer this weekend and he was playing the Taylormade ZTP Smoke MB's, beautiful irons and he was killing them.

Spoken like something similar to what the man who designed those irons said in our recent interview with him.

You also might notice that I'm in full hypocrite mode in this thread. haha.

Arjande, do you have the opportunity to try out a few different sets? I'd bet that you'll be surprised at what impresses you after being able to hit a few.

It's not that I want unforgiving irons, i want less forgiving than the Di9's with more workability.. I'm not saying it should be blades or something, it was just an inquiry about what kind of mid-low handicap irons you can get. The Di9's are really nice clubs, and maybe when I would play a match I would still use them.. However, I want some more challenge to hit the balls like I want them to be... Friend of mine (hcp 30.9) is playing with MP-68.. he's really killing it.. but when he has a misshit it goes of to the right or left that much more than when I misshit.. But then again, he is able to do 200m with an 5 iron...

Anyway, I want something new and tougher to hit.. It doesn't mean I will throw my Di9's in the garbage.. I just want some challenge and something I can play with if I reach single HCP..

You also might notice that I'm in full hypocrite mode in this thread. haha.

Arjande, do you have the opportunity to try out a few different sets? I'd bet that you'll be surprised at what impresses you after being able to hit a few.

Ofc, I wont even buy a set before I try it.. thats why I want to make a shortlist.. so I can try them all in one or two days..

I you want a taste of blades buy a single iron from a shop and swap it out with one of Di9s. Familiarizing yourself with what blade irons do may help you in your purchase/non-purchase. This may avert several hundred dollars money not well spent.

FWIW, you will be able to play any iron when you get into single digits. Two of the best golfers I've played with use sets that are very forgiving cavity backs. I honestly think you should reevaluate this line of thinking. It's incredibly flawed. Not saying that as an insult, mind you. Basically saying that your pro is misguided at best.

I would look at some GI irons in your situation. Something that is a bit smaller than what you have, but still has forgiveness. Irons like the G-15, 2.0, S3, CG16, RAZR X, etc. That said, it's your money :) Best of luck on your search!

Ofc, I wont even buy a set before I try it.. thats why I want to make a shortlist.. so I can try them all in one or two days..

Nice one. In that case, spend a lot of time on here! There are plenty of threads with testing, long term reviews and in depth looks at iron sets. This will definitely help you round it down.

Back