Clubtest 2011-Tester's Top Picks

All4's

Need. More. Eagles.
Reaction score
Handicap
I don't place much stock in the Clubtest or Hot List, but I do like to check out what the testers pick as their favorites since that is pretty straightforward and very similar to what happens in THP Outing Demo Day recaps. I added up what the 0-10 handicappers favorite clubs were since that is what I was most interested in.

I was most surprised by the below.

DRIVERS-the 910D3 just flat out lapped the field, having twice as many testers choosing it than the next closest drivers. 4 drivers dominated overall.

IRONS-4 irons were picked by nearly ALL of the testers. These 4 dominated with a long drop after them. There were zero Taylor Made irons picked surprisingly I suppose.

WEDGES-the Nike VR Pro was the favorite, followed by the PING Tour-S, then Vokey. These 3 were the majority picks. Surprised that the Vokey finished so far back and that the Cleveland CG16 was nowhere to be found with not a single tester choosing it.

RESULTS (% is the % of the 21 0-10 handicap testers who picked that model)

DRIVERS
Titleist 910D3 33%
Nike VR Pro 14%
TM R11 14%
Callaway Razr Hawk 14%

HYBRIDS
Callaway Razr X Tour 19%
Nike VR Pro 10%
Titleist 910H 10%

IRONS
Adams CB1/2 24%
Titleist AP1/2 24%
Nike VR Pro Combo 19%
Cobra S3 Pro 14%

WEDGES
Nike VR Pro 19%
Ping Tour-S Rustique 14%
Titleist Vokey 10%

That is just crazy to me All4's, but I noticed that each category was headed by a different company, so I guess they were honest in their opinions.

Shouldn't a 2011 Club Test only feature 2011 equipment?

Good question. For example, my Cobra ZL came out last year, but is still part of their lineup. Does that make it a 2011 model or a 2010 model? I guess it is a 2011 since it is still in their lineup. Not sure.

Which clubs were you referring to JB? I'm guessing the Adams CB2 since it was just replaced?

Good question. For example, my Cobra ZL came out last year, but is still part of their lineup. Does that make it a 2011 model or a 2010 model? I guess it is a 2011 since it is still in their lineup. Not sure.

Which clubs were you referring to JB? I'm guessing the Adams CB2 since it was just replaced?

Those, AP1s, etc...

So I guess AP1's are like my ZL in that they came out last year but are still in the current lineup. Good observation.

I guess they just went with what was current and not just what was new. CB2's were replaced pretty recently.

So I guess AP1's are like my ZL in that came out last year but our still in the current lineup. Good observation. I guess they just went with what was current and not just what was new. CB2's were replaced pretty recently.

See I think a company has to be proactive though and so does a magazine conducting a test. I would be SHOCKED if either of those sets are still the company's 2011 by the end of summer.

That is just crazy to me All4's, but I noticed that each category was headed by a different company, so I guess they were honest in their opinions.

Or equal in payments.......

See I think a company has to be proactive though and so does a magazine conducting a test. I would be SHOCKED if either of those sets are still the company's 2011 by the end of summer.

Good point and I agree. I suppose that is the reason print media is on the decline. It isn't real time. So they are stuck with what they got early in the year when everyone is jonesing to buy new stuff after being stuck inside all winter. To me that is what makes THP so much better. When something comes out, we get new tests then! Not next year.

I am sure many on THP are surprised to see the R11 finish where it did. I sure was. I also noticed a few testers chose the Srixon Z-Star irons.

Of all the results, to me 4 series of irons being chosen by over 80% of the testers was most interesting. 3 of the 4 series I plan to test were in those favorites so it was a little validating of my short list.

Of all the results, to me 4 series of irons being chosen by over 80% of the testers was most interesting. 3 of the 4 series I plan to test were in those favorites so it was a little validating of my short list.

I dont have an opinion one way or the other, this is why we have THP demo days. Let the real consumers decide what works best.

One other thing to note is that the Titleist and Adams irons are not 1 set, but two sets combined into one to achieve that score. If that is the case, why was the Nike VR Pro line not all tied together? Or the TaylorMade Tour Preferred line? Why break down some brands but not others? Makes little sense to me.

I don't place much stock in the Clubtest or Hot List, but I do like to check out what the testers pick as their favorites since that is pretty straightforward and very similar to what happens in THP Outing Demo Day recaps. I added up what the 0-10 handicappers favorite clubs were since that is what I was most interested in.

I was most surprised by the below.

DRIVERS-the 910D3 just flat out lapped the field, having twice as many testers choosing it than the next closest drivers. 4 drivers dominated overall.

IRONS-4 irons were picked by nearly ALL of the testers. These 4 dominated with a long drop after them. There were zero Taylor Made irons picked surprisingly I suppose.

WEDGES-the Nike VR Pro was the favorite, followed by the PING Tour-S, then Vokey. These 3 were the majority picks. Surprised that the Vokey finished so far back and that the Cleveland CG16 was nowhere to be found with not a single tester choosing it.

RESULTS (% is the % of the 21 0-10 handicap testers who picked that model)

DRIVERS
Titleist 910D3 33%
Nike VR Pro 14%
TM R11 14%
Callaway Razr Hawk 14%

HYBRIDS
Callaway Razr X Tour 19%
Nike VR Pro 10%
Titleist 910H 10%

IRONS
Adams CB1/2 24%
Titleist AP1/2 24%
Nike VR Pro Combo 19%
Cobra S3 Pro 14%

WEDGES
Nike VR Pro 19%
Ping Tour-S Rustique 14%
Titleist Vokey 10%

Thanks for taking the time to condense the results and provide the details. Interesting report.

I dont have an opinion one way or the other, this is why we have THP demo days. Let the real consumers decide what works best.

One other thing to note is that the Titleist and Adams irons are not 1 set, but two sets combined into one to achieve that score. If that is the case, why was the Nike VR Pro line not all tied together? Or the TaylorMade Tour Preferred line? Why break down some brands but not others? Makes little sense to me.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I grouped them like that. They were separate in the magazine. That is why I was calling them series instead of sets. Sorry if it was confusing.

As to the others being combined into series as was done with the CB's and AP's; there were no other Nike VR Pro irons chosen other than the Pro Combo's, there were no Tour Preferred irons chosen at all.

Here are the results individually.

IRONS
Nike VR Pro Combo 19%
Titleist AP2 19%
Adams CB1 14%
Cobra S3 Pro 14%
Adams CB2 10%
Titleist AP1 5%

Nice to see the Nike's at the top, I really want a set of those but I am waiting for the new lineup before I decide as I will be able to get them cheaper

This year's AP2, not sure about the AP1, and last year's AP2 are not the same. They are two different clubs. It's like Honda coming out with the next body style for the Accord. And then a year or two later, they tweek the car.

This year's AP2, not sure about the AP1, and last year's AP2 are not the same. They are two different clubs. It's like Honda coming out with the next body style for the Accord. And then a year or two later, they tweek the car.

Nope, not the case. Take a look at release dates of Titleist irons and see when they released their different versions.

These results and even some clubs in the test make me chuckle.

I have not tested all of the equipment, but I really understand why so many choose the S3 irons, they really impressed me. I am just waiting for the winter and the prizes to drop on them.

Yes, you are correct. I wasn’t clear enough in the post.

The 2008 released AP2 was on the 2010 Hot List. The 2010 released AP2 is on the 2011 Hot List. The 2011 and 2010 Club Test has the 2010 AP2 reviewed.

It would depend on how you define a "2011 Club Test." If it's a test of only equipment released in 2011, then the answer would be yes. If it's a test conducted in 2011 of equipment for sale in 2011, then the answer would be no.

Shocking. Where did you find this?

Just wanted to say All4's you did a nice job on breaking down the info, thank you sir or mam.

Yes, you are correct. I wasn’t clear enough in the post.

The 2008 released AP2 was on the 2010 Hot List. The 2010 released AP2 is on the 2011 Hot List. The 2011 and 2010 Club Test has the 2010 AP2 reviewed.

It would depend on how you define a "2011 Club Test." If it's a test of only equipment released in 2011, then the answer would be yes. If it's a test conducted in 2011 of equipment for sale in 2011, then the answer would be no.

Lots of equipment is still for sale in 2011. Im going to go out on a limb and say that CG7 irons were not included or the R9s (guessing of last years line). And I am sure neither were many other irons. This is a way to include companies that do not have anything new and I am fine with it if they were not already tested in the previous year. If a company chooses to only release irons every two years, then they should be included accordingly. No new info is out on them and they already gave their feedback.

Either include EVERY iron that has been for sale over a set amount of time or dont. But dont do it only for a few companies.

I think I agree but with a slight variation. I want to see all current models tested. So for example, I like that they included the AP's that were "new" for last year, but part of their current lineup this year. I want to hear tester's opinions as they compare most (they don't test all after all) offerings against each other. If a driver is great and still holds it's own in the segment, I want the tester's to have option of comparing and even selecting it.

I certainly don't want to discriminate against, or even worse penalize the OEM's who produce a club that holds up well over time.

Lots of equipment is still for sale in 2011. Im going to go out on a limb and say that CG7 irons were not included or the R9s (guessing of last years line). And I am sure neither were many other irons. This is a way to include companies that do not have anything new and I am fine with it if they were not already tested in the previous year. If a company chooses to only release irons every two years, then they should be included accordingly. No new info is out on them and they already gave their feedback.

Either include EVERY iron that has been for sale over a set amount of time or dont. But dont do it only for a few companies.

I agree 100%

In my opinion the golf test are all about opinions and you know what they say about opinions. lol:clap:

Back