Andy Bean's R11 Driver

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I'm watching Champion's Tour Learning Center and Andy Bean had the shaft of his R11 replaced with a True Temper steel shaft. He said he's hitting the driver a lot better now. At the same time he said he wouldn't recommend that for everyone.

I thought that was interesting.

Yeah, I just saw that too. Part of it has to be a slight difference in flex and feel, and I am sure part of it is comfort with knowing it is there.

That is very interesting. I wonder if any of the other pros have a steel shaft in their driver?

Didn't Tiger play with a steel shafted driver back a few years ago? I have steel shafts in my 3 and 5 wood for some reason but in the market for some new fairway metals and will probably go with graphite this time around.

Didn't Tiger play with a steel shafted driver back a few years ago? I have steel shafts in my 3 and 5 wood for some reason but in the market for some new fairway metals and will probably go with graphite this time around.

It's been almost a decade now believe it or not.

I am not aware of anyone else using a steel shaft in their driver on any of the tours.

TW played a cobra driver with a steel shaft. In early 2000s he started looking for a graphite shaft that he liked. According to a friend of mine on tour they halted production of other shafts until they fitted him properly.

I played steel in my fairway woods and hybrids a few years ago but with my swing speed going south with age, the shafts were just a little too heavy. Very interesting that someone Andy's age would be going this route, but I'm sure he knows better than most and knows what is best for him. Interesting though as I thought we had seen the end of steel shafts in drivers with there being so many great options out there now days in graphite. It would be great to hear him say more on this to know how it helped him.

My first metal woods were TaylorMade Burners with steel shafts. I used to use my 3 wood off the tee until about July when my swing was in the grove. Then I was able to use my driver. I had about a 12 handicap then (young bull!!). I loved that 3 wood. I hit it around 235-240. Just right for those real long par 3s. I had a great 5 wood in that set, also.

I also remember when Tiger used a steel shaft. I believed he switched to continue to get the distance he wanted. I also remember that in the 90's Davis Love III was the long driving champ for several years using a wood 'wood' with a steel shaft after most players had switched to metal woods and graphite shafts!

I remember davis love hitting the wooden "woods" too, doesn't seem that long ago lol.......I believe he was still playing them when tiger won the masters in 97

TW played a cobra driver with a steel shaft. In early 2000s he started looking for a graphite shaft that he liked. According to a friend of mine on tour they halted production of other shafts until they fitted him properly.

Huh? He played steel all the way up to his 975d which he went back to about 3 years ago for a few events. I play steel in my 3 wood and a 100 gram graphite shaft in my driver.

Back