Long Putters, irony, Adam and Ernie

I just don't see what the big deal is with this. We are all looking for something to give us an edge. As long as a club is legal, I don't have any problem with someone using it. I've used a belly putter with some success but I'm using a regular putter right now. I have never tried the super long like Adam Scott is using.

The tour players are just like the rest of us and as good as they are, they still look for something to make them better than the other guy, just like the rest of us. Experimentation is a good thing.

Why doesn't Ernie just take a tablet if he can't handle it? (his words not mine)

I don't think I'd consider a long putter unless it was for medical reasons. Wasn't there a stat out there that said no major was won putting with a belly or broom? I thought I heard that somewhere but I could be mistaken. I like how Ernie still poked fun at himself given the irony.

Well taking a beta blocker really is against the rules. Using a long putter is not.

Why doesn't Ernie just take a tablet if he can't handle it? (his words not mine)

I can accept your opinion but realize that Ernie has not played well for a long time. I would be willing to bet that his poor play of late is more due to lack of practice then skills. He has been devoting tons of time toward his foundation to fight Autism. Time he would have normally devoted to practice. Going to a long putter seems to be an easy fix. Yes it takes practice but they are easier to use than standard putter.

Sorry, I think for a man to make this statement then use one a few years later is an act of desperation;

"I'm not interested in the belly-putter. It should be banned," said South Africa’s Ernie Els. "I think nerves and skill in putting are part of the game and you should take a tablet if you can't handle it. It's become such an easy way to putt. You push the putter into your body and then you can make a perfect stroke.”

Someone should have told Ernie a long time ago to never say never. I find it really sort of funny that he said that then, and is now doing just that. Wonder if any of his close friends on tour are calling him out for it?

Hey, its a thing of nature. People say things then go back on them all the time. Opinions change, people change.
Someone should have told Ernie a long time ago to never say never. I find it really sort of funny that he said that then, and is now doing just that. Wonder if any of his close friends on tour are calling him out for it?

One of the biggest white driver promoters on the site had a line not too long ago that stated, "Whats with all these white drivers? I dont get it. Make it black and make it good". Now he found white, loves it, and probably will never look back. I said the same thing about the white putter, and saw how much it helped me on the greens after i got one. Things change....

I think Ernie is looking at is as he may only have a few good years left where he can still contend for majors and so on. To do that he needs to putt better or else he may go down the road of Vijay Singh and sink like a rock in the world rankings. Desperation might be a little too strong. How about being a realist?

Hey, its a thing of nature. People say things then go back on them all the time. Opinions change, people change.

One of the biggest white driver promoters on the site had a line not too long ago that stated, "Whats with all these white drivers? I dont get it. Make it black and make it good". Now he found white, loves it, and probably will never look back. I said the same thing about the white putter, and saw how much it helped me on the greens after i got one. Things change....

I don't know, not liking a particular colour and it eventually growing on you is vastly different than calling for something to be banned, stating that those that use it should take a pill instead. and the fact that he was making those statements in a thinly veiled dis to his own countryman (Trevor Immelman) when he started using the long putter make him a major hypocrite in my book.

"no one should use this it should be banned" " oh wait now I can't putt and this might help me no it's all good"... he's a tool

I would say it makes him look a little short sighted, but a tool? He's surely done more good for the world than most of combined will ever do through charity work, his autism stuff. Do you really care that much?

I don't know, not liking a particular colour and it eventually growing on you is vastly different than calling for something to be banned, stating that those that use it should take a pill instead. and the fact that he was making those statements in a thinly veiled dis to his own countryman (Trevor Immelman) when he started using the long putter make him a major hypocrite in my book.

"no one should use this it should be banned" " oh wait now I can't putt and this might help me no it's all good"... he's a tool

I would say it makes him look a little short sighted, but a tool? He's surely done more good for the world than most of combined will ever do through charity work, his autism stuff. Do you really care that much?

Well stated.

Nah not really.

He is a tool in this long putter situation, not it all aspects of his life just this one...

You are very passionate about this, is there more to the story? First you think he's desparate not a hypocrite and a tool. Did Ernie dis you in a prior life? It's not this guy is going around bashing people kiilling protected bird or damaging state property bu running over hydrants. He is making the switch to a long putter to improve his putting average. I'm sure it wasn't easy for him to do. So what gives, why so angry about this move by the Big Easy.

'

I have to admit I have always been a bit surprised that the powers that be have not banned the belly putter. Is the ban against the short putter the means used to ban the croquette style? I don't know that there is a way to legitimately ban the long putter as long as it is not a belly putter. I could see an easy path to banning the belly since the player is bracing the putter against his midsection.
I did read somewhere that a case could be made for banning the long putter as well at least where you were able to both face the hole and make the putting stroke at the same time. That argument says that being able to look all the way down the line and putt at the same time amounts to a significant advantage and a significant departure from the stroke intended in the original rules. I guess I could almost see that one as well.

However if they can't see their way to banning the belly it would seem to be pretty hard to go after the long and leave the belly still in place. Besides I am not even sure it would take much additional length to both face the hole and make the stroke. I would not know having never tried.

You are very passionate about this, is there more to the story? First you think he's desparate not a hypocrite and a tool. Did Ernie dis you in a prior life? It's not this guy is going around bashing people kiilling protected bird or damaging state property bu running over hydrants. He is making the switch to a long putter to improve his putting average. I'm sure it wasn't easy for him to do. So what gives, why so angry about this move by the Big Easy.

'

The issue has nothing to do with the putter itself the issue is the man called for them to be banned when he thought they were benefiting others but now that he thinks they will benefit him he thinks they are just dandy.

That reeks of the Big Sleazy to me. To me that is the definition of hypocrite (and to Merriam-Webster also)

HYPOCRITE- a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

Maybe I'm in the wrong, maybe standing behind what you say doesn't mean anything any more...

Last edited:
Radio your making my stomach hurt with the 'big sleazy comment'...Your statement is valid and your definition is spot on. He never should have said what he said but he did and now he is changing his mind. But did you have to call him a Tool :banana:

Understand where I am coming from....The guy has bigger things to worry about than what he said years back...that's all I'm saying.

Be well and send send me some NY style Pizza Please!!!!:D

The issue has nothing to do with the putter itself the issue is the man called for them to be banned when he thought they were benefiting others but now that he thinks they will benefit him he thinks they are just dandy.
That reeks of the Big Sleazy to me. To me that is the definition of hypocrite (and to Merriam-Webster also)

HYPOCRITE- a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

Maybe I'm in the wrong, maybe standing behind what you say doesn't mean anything any more...

Radio your making my stomach hurt with the 'big sleazy comment'...Your statement is valid and your definition is spot on. He never should have said what he said but he did and now he is changing his mind. But did you have to call him a Tool :banana:

Understand where I am coming from....The guy has bigger things to worry about than what he said years back...that's all I'm saying.

Be well and send send me some NY style Pizza Please!!!!:D

ok and a dozen real bagels too, i know you can't get real ones down there...:sick:

Or maybe he changed his mind and stance on the topic recently after learning more about it.

I hear that everyday, my wife worked in a bagel shop in Albany during high school. Everytime I go to Einstein's she gives me grief.

ok and a dozen real bagels too, i know you can't get real ones down there...:sick:

I hear that everyday, my wife worked in a bagel shop in Albany during high school. Everytime I go to Einstein's she gives me grief.

LOL i was really hoping you didn't say Einstein's... they are closer to donuts than bagels...

Or maybe he changed his mind and stance on the topic recently after learning more about it.

Maybe, coincidentally for him for him he changed his stance after his putting went down the tubes, what a lucky happenstance for him...:wink:

I grew up in Brooklyn, tell your wife you can't get real bagels in Albany either, they make the canadian kind there :D

Maybe, coincidentally for him for him he changed his stance after his putting went down the tubes, what a lucky happenstance for him...:wink:

I just dont get it.

How do you know it is when he changed his mind? He has not said a word about the long putters since his first remarks that I have seen.
He switches and you make it out like the guy is satan himself. He even poked fun at himself.
Or could it be based on past discussions here that you have an odd hatred for the long putter and him playing it after saying it should be banned gives you a reason to hate him as well. Calling a guy Sleazy for this choice is borderline ridiculous.

Agreed. I can remember numerous times when I have vehemently rejected something, only to change my mind later. I used to hate "progressive" styled putters (I think that is the term, if not, please correct me), but lo and behold I am using an Odyssey 7 now. I used to not be a fan of BStone, but now you can find one of their wedges and two of their models of balls in my bag. Am I sleazy for using what works best for me, even though I didn't like it in the past?

Back