T.P. Mills Anvil Series "Ming" THP Putter Demo Thread

Those are some awesome looking putters...thanks for sharing!

taking this out on the course today. Finally some good weather. I have been practicing with it in my living room and I really like the feel of it. I can't wait to get it out on a green.

taking this out on the course today. Finally some good weather. I have been practicing with it in my living room and I really like the feel of it. I can't wait to get it out on a green.

I hope it goes well dd. I know what you mean about the feel of it, very nice indeed. Can't wait to read your thoughts after getting it on course.

I hope it goes well dd. I know what you mean about the feel of it, very nice indeed. Can't wait to read your thoughts after getting it on course.

I don't know how you gave this putter up. I've only had it a few days and I'm already sad just thinking about getting rid of it. Better yet, with your collection of putters I don't know how you decide what to put in your bag.

I don't know how you gave this putter up. I've only had it a few days and I'm already sad just thinking about getting rid of it. Better yet, with your collection of putters I don't know how you decide what to put in your bag.

Haha, trust me, it was hard. It is one fine looking putter for sure. TP has winners on their hands with the Anvil series.

Took the Ming out on the course for 9 holes after work. I used a few different balls during the round ranging from the 330RX, e6, and HX Diablo Tour. Paired with the RX it felt fantastic. It had a nice soft feeling to me. I found it very easy to control speed, which is a problem for me on lag putts. My first 3 holes were all 1 putts from outside of 6 feet. I ended the round with a nice 20 footer that went right in the center of the hole. I didn't know how I would like the feel of the grip since usually I use Winn grips on my putters, but I really liked it a lot. I can't wait to get back out there either tomorrow or Friday and of course I'm playing a bunch on the weekend.

Nice comments so far ddec. Sounds like you are going to have as much of a tough time shipping it on to the next tester as I did!!!!

Took the Ming out on the course for 9 holes after work. I used a few different balls during the round ranging from the 330RX, e6, and HX Diablo Tour. Paired with the RX it felt fantastic. It had a nice soft feeling to me. I found it very easy to control speed, which is a problem for me on lag putts. My first 3 holes were all 1 putts from outside of 6 feet. I ended the round with a nice 20 footer that went right in the center of the hole. I didn't know how I would like the feel of the grip since usually I use Winn grips on my putters, but I really liked it a lot. I can't wait to get back out there either tomorrow or Friday and of course I'm playing a bunch on the weekend.

Could be a keeper! Do I need to box a new demo?:curl-lip:

Could be a keeper! Do I need to box a new demo?:curl-lip:

I think you may need to. Played last night and out again today. This being my last weekend with it I'm going to get as many rounds in as I can. Just walking off the practice green.
b8f060d9-13f0-8231.jpg

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

I think you may need to. Played last night and out again today. This being my last weekend with it I'm going to get as many rounds in as I can. Just walking off the practice green.
b8f060d9-13f0-8231.jpg

I agree about the RX ddec, and I remember how sad it was to have to box up the Ming and ship it on. Looking forward to your final thoughts.

After 27 holes yesterday and an hour putting session before the round I am gathering up my final thoughts on this putter. Unfortunately it's not mine to keep so I will be boxing it up tonight and sending it out tomorrow morning.

After 27 holes yesterday and an hour putting session before the round I am gathering up my final thoughts on this putter. Unfortunately it's not mine to keep so I will be boxing it up tonight and sending it out tomorrow morning.

two weeks......

I believe he is implying he now just has two more weeks till he will receive the putter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea sorry. When I realized how close it was getting to personal putter time I simply fainted and passed out at my desk. I just woke up now.
:D

Hahaha! Its worth the wait, such a sweet putter.

Who are you sending it to?

that would be you sir. You should have it in a few days. Enjoy!

Here is a the order:
jman215 OK
DawgDaddy GA
CHunkylover77 NC
Johnboy12.5 VA
ddec0418 NY
Blugold WI
snap hook NV

Dirt_Guy IA
The_Due NE
IcyShanks NE
clam fist TN
Bogey317 IN
aggro AL

That is 13 people, if you want in, shoot me an email and I will put you on the list. RH PN Ming. Thanks to everyone, and I hope you enjoy your TWO weekends with the putter.

Blugold you are my new best friend....... haha

Before I start I want to thank TP Mills for allowing such a unique testing experience for us. I have only seen a TP Mills putter once in my life so I consider myself very fortunate to have gotten a chance to test it out for 5 rounds of golf.

When I received the putter the first thing I notice upon taking it out of the box was the grip. It has a black grip with the TP Mills Cross-hairs logo on it. I thought it was a great looking grip. Usually I am not one for the rubber grips as I prefer a Winn style on my putters, however after using this one it grew on me. I went from thinking that if it were my putter I would replace the grip to thinking that if it were my putter I would stock up on those grips.

011cfbe3.jpg

As for the putter itself, I love the look of the high toe. I’ve never owned a high toe putter but have always thought they were sharp looking. The back of the cavity says Mills with no paint fill. I believe on the finished models there will be paint fill, but I love the way it looks without it. As for the markings on the sole, the red paint fill wasn’t my favorite color for it, but that is no big deal to me. The final version will have deeper stamps so it will look even better, which is difficult to imagine.

72e56e79.jpg

The feel of this putter is fantastic. Before my round this past weekend I spent an hour on the practice green with it. It was nice to be able to tell when I’ve miss hit a putt. With other putters I have used in the past, mostly putters with an insert, it would somewhat mask where I made contact with the ball. I am not completely sure how much of the feel, if any, comes from how the face is milled, but the milling on this putter is 2nd to none.

4f0f9c78.jpg

Like I mentioned earlier I was able to get 5 rounds in with this putter. I really made some nice strokes with it which led to a few 15-20 foot putts finding the bottom of the hole. I usually struggle with lag putts, and after a few bag attempts I became confident with those lengthy attempts. In my round with this putter I only tallied three 3 putts, which is very good for me. I found speed control to be fairly easy with the Ming. I have been making a transition from a mallet style putter(Ping CrazE-C, Corza Ghost) to mid mallet(Method 003) and I was a little worried about using more of an anser style putter. The transition seemed pretty flawless and I was very happy with that.

f0f70a5c-1.jpg

The limited edition white head cover is the icing on the cake. I believe the retail version will have a black head cover. I love how the oversize anvil sits in the middle of a starts and stripes map of the United States of America. That is a great logo.

e4c49d17.jpg

The putter is now boxed up and on it’s way to Wisconsin, the Cheese State! It's heading to another temporary home, I hope it makes its way back to me someday. I’m looking forward to everyone's thoughts on this amazing flat stick.

Nice write up ddec0418, I am hoping that who ever gets the putter at the end of the testing will game it and continue to update the thread occasionally.

Nice write up ddec0418, I am hoping that who ever gets the putter at the end of the testing will game it and continue to update the thread occasionally.

same here! It's such a great putter, I would game it without hesitation

Got the Anvil!

Got the Anvil!

I received the putter yesterday - Thank you ddec. First impression, what a beauty. The black putter head is striking with the red and white paint fills. The grip is also something that has been mentioned before in this thread. The crosshairs are definately present, but not distracting. I rolled a few putts in the house on carpet. I had never used a carbon steel putter, so this was a treat. I really like the soft feel off of the face. The lie angle is 71* I am used to 70*, so I had to get used to setting up more upright and over the ball.

The only negative I had intially was the putter's weight. It is a hefty 352 grams. The grip is also fatter than the Golf Pride Classic grip that I'm used to. The combination of head weight and grip size was a new a different feeling. It took me a little bit to get used to. But I think that I did get used to it and it shouldn't be problem.

I got out and played 9 holes yesterday. The greens had just been aerated but rolled pretty true. Given the heft of the putter, I was leaving my first putts short. Given the putters flared toe, lie angle, and head weight I had to take some time to get used to it. I had 18 putts on the 9 holes, so I won't complain there.

Intially, I really like this putter. The head has a lot of substance, but not a lot of bulk. The feel is soft, but not dead. I am not sure if I am a fan of the plumbers neck on such a heavy putter, but I may be nit picking.

Back