Golf Galaxy Driver Fitting

TripleBogieTim

Long lost sheep
Reaction score
Handicap
my swing
I'm thinking of going for a driver fitting, I am hitting my driver way too high with a slice and getting no roll to speak of. I want to check my launch angles to see about lowing my ball flight, who has gone through their fittings and what did you think about them?

I'm thinking of going for a driver fitting, I am hitting my driver way too high with a slice and getting no roll to speak of. I want to check my launch angles to see about lowing my ball flight, who has gone through their fittings and what did you think about them?

Just a suggestion but you might want to have someone look at what you are doing first. If you didn't have a fitting when you bought your current driver it may be completely wrong for your swing but I myself would have someone look at my swing first.

Just a suggestion but you might want to have someone look at what you are doing first. If you didn't have a fitting when you bought your current driver it may be completely wrong for your swing but I myself would have someone look at my swing first.

Good advice. If you are hitting a draw driver to the right side, no club will help you further. Check out the Swingpact thread, it has eliminated my ocassional OTT move that is a big contributor to going right.

To directly answer your question, if you go to GG do your homework and have the resident pro help you. The regular staff may have no more knowledge than you currently possess.

I guess I should clarify more, the driver is the only club I occasionally slice, and it's not a consistent slice, it seems like a only get the slice when I get the ballooning effect when I hit the ball too high. I do play a fade, but with the driver I tend to ballon and slice 1 out of 5 shots, I think the stock shaft may contribute to that.

Tim - keep us updated on what you do and how it works out. I have a very similar issue (if not the exact same) as you.

you may want to try somewhere not named Golf Galaxy, Im 0-2 in my last 2 attempts to get questions answered for me

I guess I should clarify more, the driver is the only club I occasionally slice, and it's not a consistent slice, it seems like a only get the slice when I get the ballooning effect when I hit the ball too high. I do play a fade, but with the driver I tend to ballon and slice 1 out of 5 shots, I think the stock shaft may contribute to that.

GG fittings are better than no fitting at all. I have been bitter about GG, maybe too much so, because the numbers I generated off their LM were highly suspicious. I would purposely hit as bad a shot as I could way out on the toe with 1/2 swings and the results were the same as full swings caught in the middle. I've heard of juiced monitors and I am pretty sure the store near me doesn't have their equipment set up corectly.

I'm not a big fan of getting fittings from sales staff type people. GG would be my last choice. They want to sell you something. I do all of mine at a custom shop. The guy is all about making your clubs work. Not about selling you anything. My guy also has indoor and outdoor ranges. I would never buy a club based only on inside monitor numbers. I want to see the results as well. I'm very lucky to have a great shop in my area.

GG fittings are better than no fitting at all. I have been bitter about GG, maybe too much so, because the numbers I generated off their LM were highly suspicious. I would purposely hit as bad a shot as I could way out on the toe with 1/2 swings and the results were the same as full swings caught in the middle. I've heard of juiced monitors and I am pretty sure the store near me doesn't have their equipment set up corectly.

I feel the same exact way about our local Edwin Watts...

I have nothing against Golf Galaxy as they provide great solid service. But for the fitting process you may not get the same service from a smaller "pro-shop," "mom and pop" style setting. If there is a Golf Tec around you I'd check them out as well.

Sounds like I'm the oddball but I had good luck getting fit for a shaft in my driver and 3 wood at the GG in Des Moines. Their monitors are fairly accurate to my normal ball flight and the staff was very helpful/knowledgable about what I was after. They even went rummaging through the clearance bin to find some great shafts for me and ended up only costing me around $40-$50 for the whole deal.

I used to do this too, I am tall and my lower body would get too aggressive moving forward through the ball, sliding forward too much, and it throws the face wide open. Try what will probably seem to you like hanging back on your right side and see if it helps, no forward movement until after you hit the ball. Make too tight a turn and you will start hooking/drawing the ball...

Close the driver face at set-up.

this is my biggest issue for me when I'm out of sync

I used to do this too, I am tall and my lower body would get too aggressive moving forward through the ball, sliding forward too much, and it throws the face wide open. Try what will probably seem to you like hanging back on your right side and see if it helps, no forward movement until after you hit the ball. Make too tight a turn and you will start hooking/drawing the ball...

this is my biggest issue for me when I'm out of sync

same here, the guy at galaxy was basically screaming for me to stop sliding and just turn with my body

I wanted to hit him right in the face with the R11

Close the driver face at set-up.

Don't do this. (no offense MarcW). It will be a band aid fix and only cause your ball to start further left so you can live with a slice, instead of fixing a slice. A lesson with video would be ideal so you can see the face/path relationship and fix that.

same here, the guy at galaxy was basically screaming for me to stop sliding and just turn with my body

I wanted to hit him right in the face with the R11

You wanted to hit a worker that was trying to help you out? Interesting approach.

not in that respect, it was the way he was saying it...like "hey idiot just do what I say"

1. I did not ask for a lesson
2. If it was that simple, I would have fixed it immediately and never had the issue

Yup. My hips can nudge forward too soon and I wind up swinging into my body....oops, here I come right rough and or forest.

Originally Posted by pjcedog

I think that is adding to my problem too, I am just shy of 6'3".

I do have a golf tec near too, just didn't see what they charged for a fitting on their site...the only price listed was for lessons.

Don't want to sound like a jerk here but hitting a slice one out of five is a big number.

Back