The Official Driving Range Session Thread

Mine was great... until I started hitting my hybrid. I cant hit a hybrid to save my life. The only way I can hit the dumb thing is if i change my swing up a little and thats never good to do. Im not sure if Im going to have to drop it and maybe go 5w or stick a 3 iron in the bag. My irons were awesome today, hit maybe 3-4 bad shots and the rest were awesome. I also snuck in a little CG16 7iron love and holy shnikies. That club continues to impress me, its almost borderline kicking the 2.0's out and buying some CG16 black pearl's.

The weirdest part of the day was when I decided to grab the ol R5 driver to see what it could do, worn/tore grip and everything. I hit this thing, no lie, just as good as my R9. All I could do was laugh. I think it might be time for a new driver.

Horrible range session. I cant figure it out.

I've been working on my swing. A lot. It's starting to show too. My scores have been increasing...in a good way. Lately I've been flying some greens but only because I'm starting to hit the ball more solidly. It's still very inconsistent. I usually hit the ball my normal distance, but occasionally I put on that good swing and the ball goes much further. Hopefully I can become more consistent with the new swing.

Don't swing too hard trying to get more distance, good solid contact will get you more distance by actually making solid contact with the ball than by swinging hard and missing plus the ball goes straighter when you make good contact. Anytime you are having trouble making contact slow down your swing as slow as you can and still make a swing, like in slow motion, tai chi with a golf swing, and see how the ball pops off the clubface then speed it back up very gradually keeping that same feel and solid contact going.

Mine was great... until I started hitting my hybrid. I cant hit a hybrid to save my life. The only way I can hit the dumb thing is if i change my swing up a little and thats never good to do. Im not sure if Im going to have to drop it and maybe go 5w or stick a 3 iron in the bag. My irons were awesome today, hit maybe 3-4 bad shots and the rest were awesome. I also snuck in a little CG16 7iron love and holy shnikies. That club continues to impress me, its almost borderline kicking the 2.0's out and buying some CG16 black pearl's.

The weirdest part of the day was when I decided to grab the ol R5 driver to see what it could do, worn/tore grip and everything. I hit this thing, no lie, just as good as my R9. All I could do was laugh. I think it might be time for a new driver.

Just wondering, are you setting up to the ball with a hybrid like it is a fairway wood with the ball slightly forward or are you setting up with the ball back some like it is an iron?

Just wondering, are you setting up to the ball with a hybrid like it is a fairway wood with the ball slightly forward or are you setting up with the ball back some like it is an iron?

I have tried every ball position possible.

I have tried every ball position possible.

Bridges, I noticed you have the SF. Try a ball position a touch up from center (like you would a 5i) and sweep it like a fairway wood. I noticed on my SF that if I tend to swing it like I would on my 3w but with that ball position it works like a charm. Completely different than the Mashie which I tend to hit down on more so.

Bridges, I noticed you have the SF. Try a ball position a touch up from center (like you would a 5i) and sweep it like a fairway wood. I noticed on my SF that if I tend to swing it like I would on my 3w but with that ball position it works like a charm. Completely different than the Mashie which I tend to hit down on more so.

I have man, about the only shot I can consistently hit is the low one, were I put it all the way back in my stance and stop my follow through short. I really think me and the hybrid are just not meant to be. I can hit the SF 3w good, the 5i good, pick up the hybrid and then Im all over the place. I have noticed I hit it "better" off the ground than on a tee. On the tee I hook it like crazy unless I change my swing to try and intentionally hit a fade which I dont like doing because it messes with my other clubs. If I get some extra $ saved up I may have to take a lesson from a teacher around here to see how and hit the dang thing.

I have man, about the only shot I can consistently hit is the low one, were I put it all the way back in my stance and stop my follow through short. I really think me and the hybrid are just not meant to be. I can hit the SF 3w good, the 5i good, pick up the hybrid and then Im all over the place. I have noticed I hit it "better" off the ground than on a tee. On the tee I hook it like crazy unless I change my swing to try and intentionally hit a fade which I dont like doing because it messes with my other clubs. If I get some extra $ saved up I may have to take a lesson from a teacher around here to see how and hit the dang thing.

I'm not a fan of hookers either. My issues were more with shaft (way too light and tip soft). I guess you'll always have that one club that will always give you fits. Good idea on a second eye though. That will help tremendously.

You're right man. Just that John Daly comment Tuesday really got to me haha. All my life I've had a really long swing and when I shorten it I tense up but it would help me hit the ball more consistant if I wasnt so long. You're right though, I just need to swing!!! Shoulda pulled that driver out lol.

Back to basics, quit thinking so much and just swing! Pull out something you hit well and build up your confidence. You got this!

Been working on hitting a draw more consistently over the last week or so. So far, it is working great. I am actually surprised by how well overall I have been hitting the ball the last 2-3 weeks. Since January I have hit the range 4-5 days a week and work through 2-3 bags of balls, maybe 70-100 balls total. I just start out with my PW and work every other club up to the driver and the next day work the clubs I didn't the day before. Still struggling some with my full wedge shots for some reason. Another couple sessions I hope will work that out. Another struggle on the range is my 5w and 3w off the deck, I consistently mis hit on the range, but on the course I hit them great. Weird. Driver is just phenomenal right now. Yesterday I put 20 balls in a row on or around the green about 280 out hitting both a draw, fade or straight shot into it. Sure hope the R11 coming performs even better!

hit the range this am - played 9 - then some more range practice. really trying to work on my aiming. Im good distance wise - but my aiming is not great. Im hitting straight ballflights with my wedges, scoring irons - just seem to be about 10-20 yards off.

Im going to check out the speed sleeve you all are talking about. Seems to be helping alot of people. I was working on staying down on the ball - not popping up. Maintaining the spine angle through impact and getting aggressive with my driver. I added about 10 yards to the driver since my last round. Im really thinking about getting a used R9 driver and seeing what the difference is between that and my super tri. I have almost perfect ball flight with my R9 3w. And i think the super tri may be elevating my backspin numbers.

I may be stuck inside for the next 5 days. We have rain forecast until wednesday. Tues-weds its predicting high 70's with 30-40% chance. i may just throw some rain gear on and head out. well see!

Great thread Captain!

You're right man. Just that John Daly comment Tuesday really got to me haha. All my life I've had a really long swing and when I shorten it I tense up but it would help me hit the ball more consistant if I wasnt so long. You're right though, I just need to swing!!! Shoulda pulled that driver out lol.
I've been there and you just got to take out what is comfortable and get back in the groove. Think relaxed thoughts and just swing. It's just golf brother!

hit the range this am - played 9 - then some more range practice. really trying to work on my aiming. Im good distance wise - but my aiming is not great. Im hitting straight ballflights with my wedges, scoring irons - just seem to be about 10-20 yards off.

Im going to check out the speed sleeve you all are talking about. Seems to be helping alot of people. I was working on staying down on the ball - not popping up. Maintaining the spine angle through impact and getting aggressive with my driver. I added about 10 yards to the driver since my last round. Im really thinking about getting a used R9 driver and seeing what the difference is between that and my super tri. I have almost perfect ball flight with my R9 3w. And i think the super tri may be elevating my backspin numbers.

I may be stuck inside for the next 5 days. We have rain forecast until wednesday. Tues-weds its predicting high 70's with 30-40% chance. i may just throw some rain gear on and head out. well see!

Great thread Captain!
Have you tried alignment sticks or even laying a club down? It helps me a ton with the aiming and it's one of the easier things to fix.

Just back from the range. Hitting my sw and 7 iron just fine. Hitting my hybrid with a little too much fade for my liking but getting good trajectory and distance with it. The driver is starting to come together although the slice is still there

Going to try to go tomorrow but with being away it may be tricky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk because I am away from my Mac

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for sharing and being honest about what you're seeing on the range and what you're working on. I was suppose to have a range session today but mother nature didn't cooperate. Truth be told, I haven't been working on my putting for the past few weeks. I'm in limbo. I don't really want to work on putting until the DART gets here, but my putting on course the past few rounds has been atrocious. The old catch 22 I guess.

Today was going to be short game practice anyway. When I work on short game I usually spend an hour chipping/pitching between my 9iron - my 60* wedge, then I spend some time in the bunker, then I hit 1/2, 3/4, and full wedge shots with my 50* and 55*, then it's off to the putting green.

I could easily be a range rat I've decided. Anyone that's met me knows that I'm a bit of a talker, a chatty Kathy if you will, so I'm always chatting away with strangers at the range. I like to check out other peoples' gear and talk to them about why they have what they have in their bag. I've met some nice folks and I've met folks that are just full of it. It's amazing how many people can't check their egos at the door when it comes to hitting golf balls.

The best range session I ever had was a few months ago. I was hitting balls and this attractive young lady sets up next to me. I immediately notice her WCU golf bag so I know that she plays collegiately. Her grandfather was her swing coach and he was such a cool old dude. He was very complimentary of my swing and ball striking and he got me to chatting with his grand daughter. We began to play some competitive games on the range, it was fun. She was extremely straight with everything in her bag and she could crush her driver. We just had a very good time out there. The grandfather and I met twice a month out there and he just watches as I hit golf balls. I have no clue what his credentials are and truth be told, I don't change up much stuff based on his recommendations. I think he just likes coming out there and sitting on the range. He is full of some neat old stories too.

I am working hard on my chipping around the greens at our practice area. It is starting to pay off as my putts are much shorter which is what I am looking for. Going back out this morning for an hour's practice before playing this afternoon.

P.S. TC - What is a speed sleeve?

I don't spend nearly the amount of time at the range as I probably should. It's tough, because my time is always limited and I'd much rather play. I've been trying to hit the practice green or range on Saturdays while the kid naps. I love the practice green and hate the range. Just have never cared for it.

I am working hard on my chipping around the greens at our practice area. It is starting to pay off as my putts are much shorter which is what I am looking for. Going back out this morning for an hour's practice before playing this afternoon.

P.S. TC - What is a speed sleeve?

OG, check out this thread:

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...8907-TaylorMade-TR3-Speed-Sleeve-Training-Aid

I really think that you would like this training aid. I know you've been hitting the gym, getting in shape, but this baby will help develop your golf muscles as well as build some nice muscle memory for your swing. I love it!

I don't spend nearly the amount of time at the range as I probably should. It's tough, because my time is always limited and I'd much rather play. I've been trying to hit the practice green or range on Saturdays while the kid naps. I love the practice green and hate the range. Just have never cared for it.

I use to be the same way but the only way that you'll truly achieve the goals you have set for yourself as a golfer is to beat balls dude, thousands of them. You can make a range session just as valuable as a round of golf, just don't get in the lull of bashing ball after ball after ball. Simulate a round of golf or something. I understand the time constraints for sure though.

That's exactly what I've been doing when I go and I am taking much more away from each session that way. I'm really glad I don't have to hit off mats any more.

Frustrating. Started to be a bit 'cross on the top of my swing. It doesn't cause any problems because while I drop it down perfectly on plane, I don't get stuck behind and I hit the ball fine. I don't like seeing those tendencies in my swing though, I want it to be on plane and more compact than it is now.

Just back from today's range session. Had the same clubs as yesterday due to being away.

Still trying to combat the slice with the driver but it is getting better. I have decided to play with it at the moment as I was still hitting around the 275 mark. When I didn't fade or slice I was getting to the 300 marker with ease

Hybrid was the same as yesterday - a fade. It's strange because I have been hitting a draw with it from the tee in recent rounds

7 iron was straight as usual and is still the club that I feel most confident in. Nice easy swings were getting me around the 165 mark, which I am more than happy with

Chipping and pitching with the SW is still a work in progress but I can see my distance control getting better. Full shots go around 75 yards so I think I need a wedge in between my PW and 56. 52 maybe

Next session is on tuesday when I will be at home so can take my bag with me. Need to hit some 3w shots so that I have a longer tee shot in the bag for when the fairway is too tight for the driver and I need more distance than the hybrid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk because I am away from my Mac

I have been trying to really focus on my range time during the off season. But the worst part is having to hit off mats. I was so excited to see that the range move to grass tees. YES! I got to hit my new R11 3w and was very pleased with the results. But I have been spending most of my time working on my short game specifically from 70 yards in. I put up 3 targets at 30, 50, and 70 yards. I focused on trying to put my shots within 5 feet of the target. I am impressed by how much better at this I am getting. This is the most important area for me to improve. I have also been working on my chipping and putting a lot, however, the last couple of outings my putting has been terrible. Because I have been in school for so long this will be the first golf season that i have been able to golf on a consistent basis. I used to only be able to get out 6-7 a year and so I couldn't afford to use that precious time on practice. Now I am trying to get a couple of practice sessions in a week and realistically get out to play once or twice a month. With my new clubs in my bag and the early practice i have putt in, i feel confident already that this is going to be the best golf year of my life.

Way better day on the range. Was fuming when I got home last night, I have leaving without feeling satisfied. Watched some vids (Tiger from 2001) and looked at my own swing, the one from Jan/Feb when all was dandy and realised my left arm wasn't rotating in the backswing which made me end up a bit cross on the top of the swing.

I decided to combine this technique session with wedges and short irons. I figured that it's easier to get the movement right with them and I also need to improve in that area because it has been pretty shaky lately. Spent a few hours this morning on it and it's much closer to what I want it to be. Club stays more on plane and it's almost the same up as it is down, which is what I want.

Now I'm watching NHL playoffs and practising putting at home. :act-up:

Back